Thread: Couple of bows I'm working on

Default Couple of bows I'm working on

First is a one piece slightly reflexed longbow, it's just rough cut and the handle lamination's need to be finished but you can get an idea what it will end up looking like. The limbs are 3 lamination's, 2 of purple heart with a blood wood belly and a raw hide backing. The riser is a mix of hickory, purple heart and walnut with hickory and purple heart overlays and accents.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

The other bow is a take down, right now the limbs are rough cut and showing you the pieces of the riser would only confuse you. Here are a couple of pics of the limbs. They are yellow heart with a purple heart core. The riser block wedge is walnut. The overlays are whale bone, purple heart and yellow heart and the limbs are raw hide backed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Very nice Rick! I'm working on a take down longbow myself. I have a couple really snaky Osage orange billets just waiting to be transformed into a bow. In 11 months I have a date with some feral goats and pigs on Kauai and I need a take down bow for convenient travel via airplane. So I hope to have this project wrapped up in a couple months and hit the local range.

Looking good Rick! Have you ever done a two piece take down?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

NICE, Rick,

What type of glues are used in the bow lamination?

George

Thanks everyone!

AKMud yes I have made 2 piece self bow take downs using a sleeve type joiner. Neat thing is you can make a stave that's grain is heavily twisted, were talking airplane prop twisted, into a very servicalbe bow by making a take down. You can order the sleeves through 3 rivers archery for about 14 bucks shipped? The 3 piece bows are easier to transport though. I used a 2 piece widow on my Michigan hunt, it was a pain to pack even though it was under 56 inches long.
    BHA Member

George

My friend you bring up the subject of the most heated debates I've had in a long time. Many modern bowyers insist that nothing less than a 2 part epoxy is necessary for making laminated bows. Of course these are the same guys who insisted only a fresh cut and curred stave could be used for self bows. I also find it amusing that they don't seem to remember that the original laminated bows used fish bladder glue. AKMud and many others have proved them wrong with well made effective board bows. I use tight bond 3 for everything. On page 206 of volume 1 of the traditional bowyers bible there is a chart of shear strengths for many common natural and chemical adhesives. Tight bond 3 has a rating of 40# 2 ton epoxy 44# and Resorcinol 25#. Resorcinol is the glue Nels Grumley used back in the 20's and 30's when he pioneered the laminated bow, my adhesive is nearly twice as strong as that used in bows that are still in use 80 years latter! I think I'm OK.

As you may know I went with all wood bows because my current shop is a small spear bedroom and Gunther's room is right across the hall. Adhesives were the one area were a low toxicity alternative was a sticking point and the factor I did the most research on. It wasn't until I ignored the current "wisdom" and started thinking out of the box that a solution hit me in the head. I think this kind of problem solving is the heart of innovation, I'll continue to use tightbond once the new shop is done. It is more than adequate for the application, easier on my lungs and the environment as a whole.
    BHA Member

I have to say that those are some beautiful bows. It obvious that you take your time to produce an excellent product. I can't wait to see hte final product.

SSgt. Joshua "Spike" Wheeler

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Thanks everyone!

AKMud yes I have made 2 piece self bow take downs using a sleeve type joiner. Neat thing is you can make a stave that's grain is heavily twisted, were talking airplane prop twisted, into a very servicalbe bow by making a take down. You can order the sleeves through 3 rivers archery for about 14 bucks shipped? The 3 piece bows are easier to transport though. I used a 2 piece widow on my Michigan hunt, it was a pain to pack even though it was under 56 inches long.
    Another option to the take down sleeves is a Connexion hinge sold by Dick Robertson in Montana (http://www.robertsonstykbow.com/pages/gear.html)
    Given the large price difference between sleeves (< $20) and this hinge ($80), it may not make them too appealing. However, they are much easier to fit onto a bow than a sleeve. If you order one, ask for titanium screws as well. The SS screws twist off too easily in hard wood, like Osage.

Looking good Rick. Can't wait to see em all done.
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway.- John Wayne

Default Nice Rick

beautiful work Rick. Its really art. Are you going to put single or double cams on it? hehehe

I called Tite Bond about 8 or 10 years ago and asked them about their glues. They told me what I had expected. Their glues are strong statically but when flexed over time will creep(slip). Maybe III is a different animal. I hear it's great for sinew here in AK and will prevent the belly cracks you get with hide glue or Knox gelatin. I plan to give it a try. It will definetly be good to use with a silk backing or rawhide. Hide glue will work great for laminations and was used eons ago but is not water proof and will faill when it gets wet. Resorcinol is water proof and won't creep. It's a good glue for wood lam bows. Urac 185 is a better glue for all wood bows but it has about a 6 month shelf life. Both Urac and Resorcinal need to be in a warm room above 75 degrees for the glue to set properly. I actually prefer Resourcinol because it forces you to get a good glue line (unless you like big purple glue lines), it has a long shelf life and it available at AIH. Urac is ok if you plan to make a bunch of bows. Nelson Paint online is the go-to place for that.

I had no idea Resorcinol was available locally, thanks. Hows the smell/toxicity factor? These bows are experimentals, I'm rather new at bowyering and need to work the kinks out of my methods and designs. All the research I've been able to do indicates tight bond III should work well, time will see.
    BHA Member

Resorcinol is a carcinogen but so are most of the exotic woods. Wear a dust mask when sanding and some cheap latex gloves when mixing. Acetone to clean up. Urac in not flammable, can be shipped, and cleans with water. Resorcinol is a marine glue. That's why it's available here.

Just got off the phone with the titebond folks, titebond 3 was designed for dynamic applications. Dale the rep I spoke with said he's talked with a few hundred bowyers who are also using it exclusively now. Seems my intuition and research about it was right, wish that would happen a little more. Frankly I love the fact my bows would be FDA approved for food contact..........if I dropped one or two woods from the list.
    BHA Member

Cool. No mixing no mess. Thanks for the update.

I had some urac shipped up a few years ago.... Also glued up some bbh's with resourcinal..worked fine. Other then the ugly glue line.