Thread: Porting a GuideGun

Default Porting a GuideGun

Hello, bought my SSGG 45/70 last spring, have but a lot of lead downrange since then.

My biggest complaint is not the recoil but the muzzle flip. It does not bother me offhand but shooting it from bags gets a bit old

I was wondering if anyone has had the porting work preformed and how it helped with muzzle flip, but also how much muzzle blast and noise did you add.

Thanks

This is one of those subjects everyone has an opinion on... So here's mine from my personal experience.
    My 450 Marlin is factory ported. I have shot both & I notice no real noise difference between the ported & unported models. I do belive it makes a real difference in "muzzle flip". Given a choice between two factory guns, one ported & one not I'll take the ported gun every time.
    When it comes to aftermarket porting different styles produce different results. I have a Magnaported 8&3/8 mod 29, & the porting made no difference in noise, but reduced muzzle rise. Porting from another company may increase noise due to design.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    This is one of those subjects everyone has an opinion on... So here's mine from my personal experience.
    My 450 Marlin is factory ported. I have shot both & I notice no real noise difference between the ported & unported models. I do belive it makes a real difference in "muzzle flip". Given a choice between two factory guns, one ported & one not I'll take the ported gun every time.
    When it comes to aftermarket porting different styles produce different results. I have a Magnaported 8&3/8 mod 29, & the porting made no difference in noise, but reduced muzzle rise. Porting from another company may increase noise due to design.

carful Vance.. keep writing lilke that and folks will think your me
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    carful Vance.. keep writing lilke that and folks will think your me
    Wow, was I that clear, concise & insightful?
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Well, more to the point. I was thinking of having it done locally. It's a service WW has on their site. It's that or shipping it to magna port

I think WW drills 4 holes on the top of each side on the barrel. Maybe someone has had WW preform thiS task?

Results?

we do three hole porting and it does not measureably increase noise.

Okay, that covers the noise question. But what effect does it have on muzzle rise? Something you notice? 50% reduction, 25%??

Depends on the individual and how you hold your rifle, but the last time I shot a ported 50 vs an uported one, off a rest, it was 50%

hap

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    we do three hole porting and it does not measureably increase noise.
    Can you explain the physics behind that?

Send it to Mag-na-port. They do tidy work with electrical discharge machining that a drill bit can't hold a shadow to.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    Can you explain the physics behind that?
    Yeah....it doesnt increase noise

I like that explanation but I doubt it will pacify some individuals on here as they have to have a scientific theory on everything the human element is not enough.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Kinda like gravity ain't it? I can't tell you how it works, I just know (and am glad) it does.

Wildalaska, I was told you guys ported (before I bought it) & shortened the barrel to 4.5" on the 41mag Blackhawk I have. It has two holes on either side of the front sight blade. It is really tame with fullhouse 265gr loads. Less muzzle flip than my fullsize steel frame Witness 10mm with hot loads, & no noticable difference in noise. I LIKE it! By the way, nice job on the parkerizing & action too!
    Vance in AK.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Send it to Mag-na-port. They do tidy work with electrical discharge machining that a drill bit can't hold a shadow to.

And how is that?

hap

I was just wondering if it was possible to describe defying the Laws of Physics.

Increasing exhaust area and redirecting it from going straight away seems a tough thing to do without increasing noise...
    art

And how is that?
    I've read its much more precise...but hey what do I know??