Thread: 3 Blade Vs. 4 Blade

Default 3 Blade Vs. 4 Blade

Ok I posted this same question on Bowhunting.com, but I am going to post it here too since I'm huntin here in AK.

Went in the other day to buy some G5 Striker Magnums 125 gr., and was told to get some Slick Trick instead because they were 4 blade.

Now I switched over to Bowhunting because Rifle hunting didn't present as a big a challenge, you know being a sniper and all.

So I ask you, for Moose and Black Bear in Alaska which is better 3 blade or 4 Blade?
    Diamond Marquis

I think your question is a matter of personal preferance. I've only shot one Moose with my bow so I am far from an expert. But I think if its a fixed sharp blade on a strait arrow with the proper spine for your bow that has good penatration and you place that arrow in the boiler room, your moose or blackbear is gonna die. I personally like a 3 blade 125gr Muzzy. I've killed lots of Whitetail and Hogs with it also and hogs in the brush in south texas have a pretty hard side almost like them having a bullet proof vest on. I went from a slow Martin Bengal (1995 version) to a Bowtech Tomkat. I was stoked on the upgrade two years ago, but in the end, the results were the same.

Smile I prefer 3 blades....

The only reason is that I started using them 26yrs ago and for some reason I just stuck with them. They have killed ALOT of critters, they fly great, pass through 75%+ of the time depending on angle and whatnot and did just fine on overall performance in my opinion. I suppose that I've had enough success with 3 blades that I never saw it necessary to have 4 blades. My .02....

It does not matter. They will work equally well as long as you tune your bow to shoot them straight. I have killed animals equally well with 2 blade, 3 blade, and 4 blade. It is more important that you buy a broadhead that shoots accurately. Stay away from broadheads that have solid blades. (no triangular hole cut out of the center) They dont shoot to well in wind. Stay away from broadheads that have a smooth cone tip. These will not penetrate far enough. If you shoot a fast bow stay away from broadheads with large cutting diameters it will be difficult to shoot and tune. This might come as a suprise but in my personal opinion the greatest broadheads are two blade cut from the tip. You will be able to shoot through any animal on earth with them, they fly good and accurate off of every bow regardless of speed, they are easy to tune and easy to sharpen, and they are cheaper to shoot than all the others. But if you are still set on 3 or 4 try these brands.(Muzzy, Wasp, Rocky Mountain, interlock, G5, cabelas FX3, and Magnus) Good luck.

Default What shoots the best

I used to shoot 100 grain Thunderheads, which are three blades. They shot the same as my field points. When I upgraded bows they didn't shoot very wel,l so I switched to Magnus buzzcuts which I have been very happy with. Like Chico said a sharp broadhead and well placed arrow are the factors in clean kill.

My advice on picking broadheads would be to get with some buddies that shoot some different ones and play around with them. If your three blades are shooting good and you have confidence in them, don't stop a good thing.

Default two blades

I was told that the best a two blades because they don't slow down as much as the muli blades. Armed with infro I shoot three blade blood runners but the only thing I've shot so far is squirrels. They work very well on them, even will stop a chargeing bull squirrel!

Default Doesn't matter

It really doesn't matter. If I was using a stick bow, maybe. I have driven Magnus 3-blades and 4-blade Slick Tricks through bears of equal size without a problem. The one moose was with the Magnus and it blew completely through at 26 yards. But then again, I have blown through two caribou at 50 yards with ST's.

My preference: The one that flys the best and most consistant with my setup.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I agree with most above, it really doesn't matter for our game. I've shot several moose with 3 blades and a couple with 4 blades with no real noticeable difference between them. Black bear are actually very thin skinned once you get past their hair, so it really doesn't matter for them.

Hey...I use two blades...they all will work if they fly well from your bow.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default It's just personal preference

What matters most is shot placement. If you can't place 'em, change. JMTC

The above posts are very well written so I'll try to ad something I didn't see mentioned.

When I hunt with traditional equipment, I prefer to use a single blade broadhead like the Zwickey Black Diamond so it moves, cuts, and slices once it goes in if I don't have a complete pass through. I've used this type of set up since a child and it's worked for many thousands of years.

When I hunt with a compound, I use anything and everything Muzzy. You can't destroy them and they punch a huge hole through your target. Muzzy's heavier broadheads come in both three and four blade so your set-up will dictate to a point which head you will use. E.g. Muzzy 130 grain 3 blade and the Muzzy 145 grain 4 blade. When going after larger, dangerous game, I use the heaviest weighted tip possible without giving up accuracy.

As far as personal preference, I've always had better results with three blade's compared to four.

IMO the largest factor is tuning due to the blades acting like wings as your arrow flies through the air. I can't count the times I've seen people tune their bow with fieldtips for the tightest group possible and then simply change them out to broadheads the day of the hunt expecting the same accuracy. This is irresponsible, unethical, and your arrow will fail to hit your target which could prove deadly if going after dangerous game. We owe it to our selves and the animal we are hunting to harvest it as fast as possible.

Believe it or not sometimes its harder to tune a two blade broadhead compared to a three or four blade.

Hope this helps in some way. Good luck!
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

realize the information you get around here (in most of our local stores and at times online) is extremely biased. I'm not speaking for the people who have posted on this thread , I am however talking about our local stores. Case in point we had to just get a guy 're setup" after buying a new bow locally at a place one would go to and expect the people behind the counter would know what in sam heck they're talking about. This isnt ment as a hollier then thou post, it's a slight heed of warning to someone going into a local store trying to gather information!

I also personally shoot a 2 blade mainly because of my choice of equipment. I'd like to shoot a 3 blade on bears and turkeys mainly to open up a bigger hole, but for whatever reason keep going back to the same bh's I've shot since I've started with that havent let me down.

I dont know anything about the slick tricks, the montecs seem like a great head! I dont think you'll have problems with either.

I tell you what after all the research, all the questions, and everything put together I have one heck of a headache over this topic.

I cn see why some people hate talking about it. It's dang frustrating trying to find the perfect broadhead. But I have decided on one and if it doesn't work that well then I will try a different one.

Like someone said earlier, if it fly's straight, and it's put in the ol boiler room the animal is gonna die!.

Thanks for all the input
    Diamond Marquis

Everyone has opinions and bias to one degree or another. Once you learn the basics of the science and how to properly tune your bow and arrows you will most likely find yourself like many others and have strong opinions as to what works best. Make sure you get a 3D target to use with your broadheads and practice with them as much as possible. I usually buy a number of sets so I don't have to use the practice ones hunting. Once you learn how they fly at various distances you'll be ready.

Happy shooting!
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Sniper View Post
    I tell you what after all the research, all the questions, and everything put together I have one heck of a headache over this topic.

I cn see why some people hate talking about it. It's dang frustrating trying to find the perfect broadhead. But I have decided on one and if it doesn't work that well then I will try a different one.

Like someone said earlier, if it fly's straight, and it's put in the ol boiler room the animal is gonna die!.

Thanks for all the input
    And that right there is the way it should be done. Nothing better than first hand experience.