Thread: Aliulik Brown Bear questions

Default Aliulik Brown Bear questions

Hey everyone,

I was fortunate enough to draw DB237 (Aliulik) Kodiak Brown Bear on the south end of the island...Am beginning to get plans made and want to know if anyone can give advice.
    I have access to a raft/motor to take along.

Having never been to Kodiak (though have hunted in Southeast and Cordova area) I would like to find out as much info as possible...

What are the general 'dates' for going to Kodiak for spring bears? I am not looking for a mammoth bear, but I do want one with good hair (taxidermist in me)....

any help will be much appreciated.

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by tuffboots View Post
    Hey everyone,

I was fortunate enough to draw DB237 (Aliulik) Kodiak Brown Bear on the south end of the island...Am beginning to get plans made and want to know if anyone can give advice.
    I have access to a raft/motor to take along.

Having never been to Kodiak (though have hunted in Southeast and Cordova area) I would like to find out as much info as possible...

What are the general 'dates' for going to Kodiak for spring bears? I am not looking for a mammoth bear, but I do want one with good hair (taxidermist in me)....

any help will be much appreciated.

Juli
    Either pm or call - 457-4736 - will give whatever help I can.
    Good luck with the hunt.
    Joe (Ak)

Default Bear hunt

Follow up on calling JOE, he is the MAN in the know.

first thing i'd do is call the guide who's working the area tell him you have a tag and dont' want to step on anyones toes and see if he's got a recommendation for you. Alot of times if you extend a little kindness you'll get it back in return and get some super insider info. Beware, i've told guys this before adn some of the guides have bit their heads off..others have been great and gave tidbits and adivce that can make or break a hunt.
    john crye at fish and game is a super resource as well.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212