Thread: Mat-Su lakes

Default Mat-Su lakes

Anyone been out ice fishing here locally in the valley yet? Thinking about trying Matanuska Lake. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Maybe Long Lake?

Nope no one has been doing any fishing at all, if you were to go you'd be wasting your time since no one is doing any fishing at all.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Nope no one has been doing any fishing at all, if you were to go you'd be wasting your time since no one is doing any fishing at all.
    Why the cynical response? Is it not reasonable to conjecture that some but not every member on this forum has been ice fishing in the Mat-Su? I for one obviously have not. I was looking for input to help with having an enjoyable day on the ice and I am sorry you did not understand the context of my question.

look in the icefishing forum you will find all you need there.

Quote Originally Posted by rentalman View Post
    Anyone been out ice fishing here locally in the valley yet? Thinking about trying Matanuska Lake. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    I have not fished Matanuska Lake since last winter, but it is always a good one to get the youngsters on. We have always done good there for little fish.

Good luck.

Question ok...

Why the cynical response? Is it not reasonable to conjecture that some but not every member on this forum has been ice fishing in the Mat-Su? I for one obviously have not. I was looking for input to help with having an enjoyable day on the ice and I am sorry you did not understand the context of my question.
    You obviously don't understand sarcasm, as indicated by the smiley face,. Just making a little fun is all. Relax.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

jeez why dont you go cry about it.....welcome to the forum dude and please, dont use those big fancy words, its better to blend in.......

now since you are new to the mat-su valley, may i suggest some possible locales, but no garantees of fish...Irene, Kepler, Bradley, and Echo lakes near the palmer/wasilla interchange off the Glenn can all be productive with some good fish possible....they all have rainbows and landlocked salmon. look at the fish and game stocked lakes page, pick a lake, and just try it. there are maps of the lakes, stocking information and directions.....if you wanna thank me, just give me a rep point....hope this helps http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...on/MgtAreaID/2

Release Lake Trout

Lots of little fish in Matanuska Lake. I fished it quite a bit in the past but never really caught anything for size. If you're gonna fish that area then I'd rather hit up Kepler-Bradley lakes...

If you can run real fast and hide real good long lake in palmer is sure to give you big fish....lol

WOW..... I don't even know where to begin, soooooo I think I won't.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

dont waste your time at flathorn, that lake is just fished out, no one catching anything. you might get lucky though if you sit there 10 hours and catch 1.

Ray
    Semper Fi!

some buddies went to flathorn during spring break got to the lake just before daylight. rounded the corner and there were headlight and lamps everywhere. probably 50 folks there and 100 traps in the water.The russians had been there for 3 days. although this is typical for them to fish that lake out every year we did have good results earlier in the year with 18 fish between 3 of us 3 pushing 10lbs. Not anymore this year gotta hit it early before the ruskies get there.. Also heard red shirt was slow last week as well.

Default flathorn lake

So why haven't the Russians been busted yet? They've been pulling this S*** for like at least 5 years now. Talked to people who have seen them do this and called the troopers but yet nothing it seems has happened.

50 folks and 100 tip ups is not illegal. I understand that. But I remember a few years ago when they were putting close to 10 tip ups out per person. Disgusting.
    Last edited by pike_palace; 01-09-2010 at 13:19. Reason: adding info.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    So why haven't the Russians been busted yet? They've been pulling this S*** for like at least 5 years now. Talked to people who have seen them do this and called the troopers but yet nothing it seems has happened.

50 folks and 100 tip ups is not illegal. I understand that. But I remember a few years ago when they were putting close to 10 tip ups out per person. Disgusting.
    Funny you mention "Russians got to em" for Mat-Su lakes, I've heard the same things being said about Quartz Lake in the interior...
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Funny you mention "Russians got to em" for Mat-Su lakes, I've heard the same things being said about Quartz Lake in the interior...
    Could very well be true. Everytime i go to quartz i see about 5-6 of them in a group. and a pile of fish. and i fish alot...
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Default Kepler-Bradley

I was going to try Kepler-Bradley a couple days ago and when I read the regs before heading out it said under Long Lake (Kepler-Bradley complex) that open season was from May-Oct. I took that as closed to fishing the rest of the year. Does anybody know anything different?

no ice fishing on long.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Tried to fish finger lake saturday but the wind was howling. We drove to Echo and it was calm so we fished for about an hour at dusk. The baby started screaming and we packed up. Had a couple of hits but no hook-ups - FWIW there were a few guys leaving when we got there who had caught a couple of little ones. They were nice enough to loan me a lighter to get the heater going, thanks guys.