Thread: For You Parents Out There....

Default For You Parents Out There....

Anyone have any issues with these chest waders for toddlers. I just ordered a set for my 5 year old girl.

http://www.oakiwear.com/oaki/index.p...749ad91a50dd8d

Good on you Dad.

I havent had any issues but then again I couldnt get my leg in that size.

hap

Not thinking I like the idea of kids in neoprene... Basic dilema is they will get colder in plain, as long as they stay dry... But the flotation they get from neoprene is enough to keep their skinny little bodies off the bottom. At least when upright, that is. Kids have lots of issues in moving water with neoprene.

Float tubes are a different matter, but moving water and unsteady footing is not a good combo.

I get extremely nervous about kids wading and neoprene is part of what worries me.
    art

Thanks for that link.

My baby girl is in need of an upgrade and bigger size.

Ordered the 8/9's for her.

Hope to break 'em in digging for razor clams in a few weeks.

Then on to the Fish Trap bar on the lower Kenai later this August.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I got my 3 year old a set for xmas. He is pumped to have "Fishing pants like daddy" so he can get in the water and out of the backpack this year! I never really thought about the bouyancy factor like hap stated though. I'll have to keep that in mind when watching him. Thanks for the heads up!
    Although some can call it Catchin', I still have to call it fishin'.

Waders came in the mail today.

Nice reinforced padded seat.

Neoprene seams are sewn and aqua-sealed on the inside... no tape.

But for $50 what can you expect?

Not like my kid fishes every day, so we'll see how well they hold up.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

My baby girls LOVED them...

BUT....

Less than one year old and probably 20 days afield and they already sprung a leak. Will see how their warranty handles it.
    The KeenEye MD

Ordered a set of these for my little girl. Downside is they only ship w/in UK, luckily my brother travels through ever few weeks so he can bring them home.

http://www.waterproofworld.co.uk/kibawaders.htm

Not really looking for something she can wade in per se, but something that will keep her drier slogging round next to the creeks and on the banks.

Will report back in a couple months or so once we get them and try them out....

Default Now this IS customer service

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    My baby girls LOVED them...

BUT....

Less than one year old and probably 20 days afield and they already sprung a leak. Will see how their warranty handles it.
    OK... I sent the folks at OAKI an e-mail explaining the new leak and this was their response:

Sorry to hear that - nothing worse than a wet kid! We will certainly replace them, however we are out of all sizes except 10/11 currently. Our new waders will be here around the end of Jan., which you will LOVE. They are still black, and the fit is just perfect - a little easier to get on, fully taped seams on the inside, and a full neoprene lined boot with only one seam at the calf - very durable and tough as nails. We've put the sample through everything!

I have reprinted your original invoice, and as soon as our new waders arrive, I will ship them to you.

Thanks again for your business and feedback. It means everything to us, as it helps us improve.

Merry Christmas!

Class act! That's what I call customer service!
    The KeenEye MD

Thanks for the post, Doc. Too often we hear about what is wrong with a company and not what they do right. I'll keep these guys in mind if the need arises.

Merry Christmas tcman. Hey I bought some extra lutefisk at the end of the banquet last month. I hear it's so well preserved in lye that it will last till summer of 2012, no sweat. I'll have LMWS hand deliver it to the cabin on our first run downriver. Hey I just remembered.... we totally spaced out on getting that on-the-water pic of you in the KISS make-up last August. Jedi's gonna be awfully disappointed.

OK, sorry for the highjack folks. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.....
    The KeenEye MD

It's nice to hear about a company that cares about it's customer service. It's getting very rare and deserves mentioning. Thanks, Doc, for the field test and customer service reports.

Finding out about a company that has affordable waders that might fit my daughters is good also! They're 7 and 9, but both are smaller than average for their age. They really took to catching pinks on a fly and want to take on silvers and chum with the fly rods I'm making them for next year.

My 7 year old daughter likes her hip boots. We layer them with a pair of grunies for the raft. But most of her fishing is done in hip boots. I stayed away from waders because she is always on the ground and would tear them up, or continually try and test out the freeboard. I don't want her that deep anyway. She does not get within 50ft of a river or lake without a life jacket. No exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

Sorry to hear that - nothing worse than a wet kid! We will certainly replace them, however we are out of all sizes except 10/11 currently. Our new waders will be here around the end of Jan., which you will LOVE. They are still black, and the fit is just perfect - a little easier to get on, fully taped seams on the inside, and a full neoprene lined boot with only one seam at the calf - very durable and tough as nails. We've put the sample through everything!

I have reprinted your original invoice, and as soon as our new waders arrive, I will ship them to you.

Thanks again for your business and feedback. It means everything to us, as it helps us improve.

Merry Christmas!
    New and improved replacement waders came in the mail today. Just thought I'd post the follow-thru on customer service.

Hoping they still fit my little one. She's on a bit of a growth spurt... another inch since the New Year. We'll find out this weekend.
    The KeenEye MD

just tie a rope to the kid and it will be safe.
    Semper Fi!

Back to the top
    The KeenEye MD

Just ordered two sets of kids waders from this outfit. She gave me a deal and got the 2nd set for 50% off, plus shipping was only $5-.
    Appreciate you guys posting this. I relayed to her that she was getting some positive criticism and high remarks on this forum and thats why I called and ordered.
    Oh yeah, they now carry all the same waders in breathable too. I ordered both in breathable.
    BK