Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pelican Gun Case

Default Pelican Gun Case

I was looking for a gun case that could be used for shipping not only to and from area hunts, but also by airline for trips. The Pelican 1720 long case appeals to me because it seems very secure and well built plus is affordable. It also looks like you can carry two rifles in it.

Do any of you have experience with this product? Ideas and suggestions are very welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    I was looking for a gun case that could be used for shipping not only to and from area hunts, but also by airline for trips. The Pelican 1720 long case appeals to me because it seems very secure and well built plus is affordable. It also looks like you can carry two rifles in it.

Do any of you have experience with this product? Ideas and suggestions are very welcome.
    I have one and am very happy with it. Yes it will fit two long guns and you do not have to worry about any damage as these things are are darn near bullet proof!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Default Pelican

Ditto what Bronco said. They are heavy, but I've never had a problem taking them on flights.
    Mike

Same here, probably the best money can buy.

You absolutely cannot go wrong with ANY Pelican products. Military used them religiously for deployments with their weapons, electronics, comm equipment etc.

Always a winner.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default something better

I bought one of these and like it better than anything else. http://www.tuffpak.com/ I have used it for several trips to alaska and it protect my rifles better. With the additional restrictions for bagage on flights, I take other hunting clothes and equipment and pack it around the rifle till it hits 50lbs. The other thing is that it doesn't have the regular appearence of a rilfe case, it looks more like a hard case for golf clubs of it doesn't attract as much attention.

Default Pelican 1720

I have the Pelican 1720. It is an AWESOME case. I didnt cut the foam on mine. Instead I took out the 3rd piece of foam out and laid a thick bath towel in there. I works great. No movement. Also, w/ the longer case I can put a couple boxes of rifle shells, a boresnake, and some oil in there too.

Default Not to sidetrak but....

There was someone on the board who does a stellar job at fitting guns to these cases?

Who was that?

Nevermind..

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hlight=pelican
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I love Pelican cases and can definitely recommend them for flying. They are also wonderful for the preferred method of travel in Dillingham, 16-18 ft skiff and 4-8 ft seas. The foam can be cut to fit and the cases are waterproof and will float. There are other cases on the market, but I prefer the Pelican for the protection of my guns. I am including a link for a thread that includes info of a guy that cuts the foam to fit perfectly.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...230#post646230

Default Pelican tested to be the best

A few years ago I read an article in an outdoor magazine that tested hard rifle cases by throwing them over a person's shoulder to the ground. I don't remember what magazine; however I do remember that Pelican was the winner and showed virtually no damage to exterior or contents, Kalispel was 2nd, and Cabela's aluminum was 3rd. To my memory those were the only cases tested.

I have a Cabela's...its been O.K., but I wish I had bought the Pelican. The Cabela's and Kalispel cases use a sliding rod through the fasteners which is really a good system to ensure the case doesn't inadvertently come open. But the mechanism seems to be over most TSA personnel's capabilities to replace the sliding bar properly.

WhiteFish

I use the same pelican case, whenever I hunt overseas, holds two rifles very well, I got one in Bright orange, thus very visible and less desirable for some to take, been to Africa and back with them and several times to the lower 48, locks well too, it came with pick and pluck foam so you can taylor the foam to mold around your specific rifle/rifles and or optics etc, etc. I bought extra sheets of foam to take different rifles too.

Default Great Warranty Too!

I agree, Pelican cases are by far the best on the market.

The also offer an unconditional lifetime guarantee against everything except sharks, bears and children under the age of 5.

I used to rep for them a few years back. There was a story floating around about a guy that dropped his 1720 case out of a helicopter from 400' up with a rifle in it. One latch popped open. Thats it. He sent it back and got a new case. (disclaimer: I have no idea on the reliability of this story. But a cool story none the less)

Default UHhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Here's to Life! View Post
    I agree, Pelican cases are by far the best on the market.

The also offer an unconditional lifetime guarantee against everything except sharks, bears and children under the age of 5.
    Does that include RAMP APES at the airport as well ? They have got to be the most destructive animals on earth.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Does that include RAMP APES at the airport as well ? They have got to be the most destructive animals on earth.
    Those RAMP APES are pretty brutal. But yes they will. The whole "unconditional" thing really means they will cover just about anything. You could "accidentally" cut it in half with a chainsaw, and guess what? New case. You don't see these types of warranties with many products these days. Just shows that these guys make a great product and are willing to stand behind it.

Default Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Here's to Life! View Post
    Those RAMP APES are pretty brutal. But yes they will. The whole "unconditional" thing really means they will cover just about anything. You could "accidentally" cut it in half with a chainsaw, and guess what? New case. You don't see these types of warranties with many products these days. Just shows that these guys make a great product and are willing to stand behind it.
    WHEN/IF mine gets broken, I'll worry about the warranty. Til then it just gets to tour AK and do its job.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

I think you have convinced me that Pelican is the right choice. I am going to order it tomorrow.

Thanks for the input.

Default Length

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    I think you have convinced me that Pelican is the right choice. I am going to order it tomorrow.

Thanks for the input.
    JUST be sure that the 1720 is long enough for the guns you plan to haul now and in the future ! I had to purchase the 1750 because several of my rifles have 24 and 26 inch barrels and wouldn't fit in the 1720. I only wanted to purchase on hard case for all my rifles so I choose the longer one .

All of my rebreathers are in Pelican cases and have travelled around the world quite a bit. They make a solid product that will not let you down.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default My mistake...

I have the 1750 NOT the 1720 as I stated. The 1750 was a better choice being longer and able to carry a few more items like I mentioned earlier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast