Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: taking your dog hunting

Default taking your dog hunting

This year sheep hunting i found that i was really missing my dog as she loves hiking and camping. so what is the legality of taking your dog sheep or moose hunting??

I've had my dog along on moose hunts before, but for 'camp' only. The deal is, you can't use the dog for the act of hunting. So while you're actively engaged in hunting, it is best to have the dog restrained back at camp. The dog can be used for tracking wounded game, but it has to be on a lead to do so.

You'll be running on shady ground if you have a loose dog with you while you're hunting big game. If the dog spots your intended target and takes off in chase, you just crossed the line and cannot legally shoot that animal as the dog was participating in the hunt.

So a great deal of it depends on the dog and how well you can control it.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Like JOAT said you are good to go as long as your dog doesn't chase your intended game. I take my dog with me on most hunts and have had no issues then again when I go alone I do not take her with me as I worry about being able to control her while on the stalk. She tends to be a little protective of me so she might think a moose or caribou was trying to harm me or one of my family members.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i took the chessy hunting with me for a week this year, he loved it, was right there under foot with me or in the creek with the kids. the only problem i had was he tired more so every day. we put on a lot of miles he rode in the prowler back or on the ATV in the rack seat with my daughter when he tired, but the poor guy though he was in excellent shape it was a bit much for him.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    So a great deal of it depends on the dog and how well you can control it.

Agree 100%. Our dog goes everywhere with me.....wouldn't sleep anywhere near as well without her outside the tent!!!!

tm

Have had a dog with us most of the time while hunting both in the Brooks and on Kodiak. Always took them along as pups, so they knew what was going on. Would alway teach them to "come" to the sound of a raven. That way when called didn't bother the game - especially bears.
    Joe (Ak)

My little buddy goes on most all of my hunts. Well trained, well disciplined = no problem. She's actually a benefit because she packs my gear on day hunts away from the tent or when her food supply dwindles I fill her saddle bags.
    Attached Images Attached Images

jpost those are some great pics, your dog must be a lot better trained than mine. Mine would never stay by herself while I made a stalk. I normally leave her with the kids or my wife while I am on a stalk and there are no issues.

Default chasin

If you dog goes chasing animals without being told to do so then you might think of either leaving them at home or working on your training. My dog isn't the most disciplined dog by any means but one of the main training focus early on is that she does what she is told. Sit means sit. Breaking is something that you should never let happen - could be dangerous if you hunt with your dogs especially in boats or blinds.

I have seen jpost write of his dog in other posts - mine isn't that obedient, but she is still safe and I got her to hunt so she goes most of the time when I do.

jpost - those are great pictures. My old lab would heal up for hours while hunting. I lived in Sitka for years and she would sit behind me 20 feet or so when trying to call in deer. She let me know what was coming and let me know if it was deer or bear that was about. Very clear if it was a brownie and not a deer. Worse day of my life when she passed. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Thanks - I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. Admittedly, I brag her up whenever I have an oppurtunity! I have some other pics of her on some of my old threads.

She simply does not chase game or assist in anyway that would be illegal (as far as I know). It seems pack dogs might be considered the same as a "pack animal" like a mule or horse? Anyway, I won't be leaving her home anytime soon!

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    My little buddy goes on most all of my hunts. Well trained, well disciplined = no problem. She's actually a benefit because she packs my gear on day hunts away from the tent or when her food supply dwindles I fill her saddle bags.
    THANK YOU for posting!
    Truly adds another dimension to the hunt when there is a well disciplined dog to hunt with.
    Thanks again.
    Joe (Ak)

This "was" my favorite bear/dog picture - having to reconsider after the pictures in post #7 - they are beyond GREAT!
    Joe (Ak)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    This "was" my favorite bear/dog picture - having to reconsider after the pictures in post #7 - they are beyond GREAT!
    Joe (Ak)
    wow Joe! haveing met you in person......

that photo was a LONG time ago eh?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    wow Joe! haveing met you in person......

that photo was a LONG time ago eh?
    Yah! Two years ago!! (x's 10) A lot before and a lot afterwards!
    Still like "yesterday", the dog - the bear - the hunt.
    Joe (Ak)

Thanks Joe. Wow, that's a great photo with the BIG Browny! I actually drew a spring Kodiak tag for this coming April although I won't bring my dog mainly due to logistics and the extra costs associated with that hunt.

O.k, I'll stop now. Train em and take em!

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    O.k, I'll stop now. Train em and take em!
    I never tire of seeing dogs used in hunting situations. Again thanks for posting the pictures.
    For where did you draw the permit?
    Good luck
    Joe (Ak)

Default Top Notch thread

Those photos were wonderful! Absolutely incredible to see a dog in those situations. I am sitting here with my daughter and we both enjoyed them immensely. What a great thread.
    I am not a Chessie fan per se, mainly because I love the Labs so much, but that photo is such a classic! That is a very regal, proud looking Chessie. I bet he was a great companion.
    Jpost, did you have your lab set up to help pull that caribou in that sled? Golly she looks like a beautiful dog, and what a great companion to be so versatile!
    Thanks folks for sharing these.
    ARR

it is strange for me to see the dogs sitting so calmly along side the bear. mine absolutely want NOTHING to do with them when i drag them home..

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast