Thread: New stock for Rem SPS

Default New stock for Rem SPS

I would like to put a bedded stock on my REM SPS 300 RUM and/or a 300 win. They currently have the factory synthetic stocks on them. I think they are quite flexible and am afraid sling tension and resting the stock on different surfaces will deform it and decrease the accuracy.

I have looked a bit on the internet, and there are gobs of Remington 700 BDL stocks. Do they fit the SPS too. How about the XCR? Hogue and Bell & Carlson do not specifically list the SPS or XCR. Just the BDL and ADL. I assume they will work, but that usually gets me in trouble, so I thought I would ask.

Also, does anybody know if you can after market the stock for a clip for the above rifles?

I know I could always go to my trusty gunsmith, but I do not make it by there too often, and hearing from all the people here is much more fun. Besides, a trip into a gun store can be expensive (kid in the candy store).

Default Stocks

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    I would like to put a bedded stock on my REM SPS 300 RUM and/or a 300 win. They currently have the factory synthetic stocks on them. I think they are quite flexible and am afraid sling tension and resting the stock on different surfaces will deform it and decrease the accuracy.

I have looked a bit on the internet, and there are gobs of Remington 700 BDL stocks. Do they fit the SPS too. How about the XCR? Hogue and Bell & Carlson do not specifically list the SPS or XCR. Just the BDL and ADL. I assume they will work, but that usually gets me in trouble, so I thought I would ask.

Also, does anybody know if you can after market the stock for a clip for the above rifles?
    The SPS "boat paddles" that Remington uses for stocks do leave a lot to be desired. The 300 RUM is on a magnum length action and will require a stock for the (8MM/375) Mag length action.
    The SPS edition of Remingtons 700 is an ADL version, it is a matte finished rifle and it doesn't have a hinged floorplate. ADL models only have a trigger guard exposed on the bottom of the stock.
    BDL's have a hinged floorplate or detachable magazine and are Stainless Steel or Blued unless they are tactical or predator models ( then their finishes vary).
    The 300 Win is the same long action length as the 270-30-06 version and many types/brands of stock will interchange with this action length.

Remington makes a detachable magazine model rifle, those parts will interchange with the SPS action and then just add the correct stock and you have detachable magazine SPS rifle.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

You need the BDL variety, it has the floor plate function.

As too your clip question, I recently installed one of these clip conversions on a Rem 700 300RUM with a full length aluminum Houge stock. It was a very easy bolt on with only minor filing on the stock, about 5 minutes total time. I also installed one in a McMillan stock with no mods, direct bolt on. A friend ordered one and put it on his Sendero II which has a HS Precision stock.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=457891

The link claims that it's only for HS Precision stocks but I have personal knowledge that it works with others too. I really like the quality of this product. Rounds feed straight to the chamber, they don't come in from the sides like the original well. It also keeps the feed under control by the magazine so rounds don't fall out if fed up side down like the push feed of the Remington's original design.

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    The 300 RUM is on a magnum length action and will require a stock for the (8MM/375) Mag length action.
    The 300 Win is the same long action length as the 270-30-06 version and many types/brands of stock will interchange with this action length.
    Unless something has changed recently Remington uses the same sized actions for all their 270, 06, 300 Win Mag, etc as they do for the 300 Ultra, 375, 416, etc. Only differences may be in the magazine box and bolt faces.
    If you do change out the stock it would be a good idea to glass bed it as well.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Unless something has changed recently Remington uses the same sized actions for all their 270, 06, 300 Win Mag, etc as they do for the 300 Ultra, 375, 416, etc. Only differences may be in the magazine box and bolt faces.
    If you do change out the stock it would be a good idea to glass bed it as well.
    I have a 300 RUM Sendero and 25-06 Sendero. The only differences are the bore, chamber and bolt face. Everything else is exactly the same.

I'm not familiar with the Hogue full aluminum block bedded stock, but B&C makes a very good one for a reasonable price. That's the stock I would use on any Ren 700 action or clone.

Mark

I like the feel of the Houge, it feel and carrys nice for me. I found the full length alluminum verson on special. It's a bit heavy in my opinion but the price was right and the fit is excellent. The recoil pad is very good too.

I read Marks posts often, we tend to end up on the same page often. I have no experience with the B&C stock so I checked it out.

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/2241...ascending=true

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...oductid=221973

I find it interesting to read other comments. It bowls down to what feels good to you. Based on the reviews I would be leary unless I had one in my hands first. Either way most stocks can be dramatically improved with proper bedding.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Rounds feed straight to the chamber, they don't come in from the sides like the original well. It also keeps the feed under control by the magazine so rounds don't fall out if fed up side down like the push feed of the Remington's original design.
    I have often heard this complaint, but I have never experienced it. One reason I've probably not experienced it is the relative infrequent need of chambering a rifle while it is upside down. I know for a fact that all of my 700s will feed in any position I can imagine, as I have tried them all just to see if they will fail. I have owned many rifles of various designs that did not initially feed properly but I know that my 700s ( presently a .223, .220 Swift, 243 Winchester, 270 Win, 35 Whelen, 30/06) will feed upside down, sideways, tilted up or down or any other position you want to do it. If a 700 does not feed properly it is not a design issue, but an individual rifle issue IME.

I like the feel of the Houge, it feel and carrys nice for me. I found the full length alluminum verson on special. It's a bit heavy in my opinion but the price was right and the fit is excellent. The recoil pad is very good too.
    I've only handled one Houge stock before and I liked it's feel too. It was grippy. The one thing I didn't like was that it seemed to flex fairly easy, but it probably wasn't the full aluminum bed model. If the aluminum bedded model was stiff it would be worth checking out.

What about Richards Mircofit Gunstocks has anybody tried them ?

1Cor15:19

I have not had an issue with my 700 but it's a massaged high end model. My favorite rifles are my Rugers but we wont go there.

My cousin has issues with his 700, I believe it's an operator error. I have fired his rifle 50+ times while developing loads and never had an issue at all.

I do like the way that the detachable magazine feeds the rounds in the Rems that I have shot with them. They are straight up the chamber and smooth.

1Cor15:19

I have not had an issue with my 700 but it's a massaged high end model. My favorite rifles are my Rugers but we wont go there.

My cousin has issues with his 700, I believe it's an operator error. I have fired his rifle 50+ times while developing loads and never had an issue at all.

I do like the way that the detachable magazine feeds the rounds in the Rems that I have shot with them. They are straight up the chamber and smooth.
    Funny you mention that Ruger's are your favorites as I tend to favor them as well. IMO they are solid rifles at a good value. However, the only rifle I could not get straightened out was a M77 tang safety in 7X57. It would fail to pick up a cartridge from the magazine about one time in ten. Ruger couldn't fix it (they said it was fixed, but it still failed for me when I got it back) and two competent gunsmiths could not fix it--neither of them could determine the cause, but it would not reliably feed. I traded it off to a guy who "knew" what the problem was and was convinced it was an easy fix. I hope it was an easy fix for him though I haven't seem him since. I still love Ruger rifles and handguns and have bought many more and hope to buy others still. They are solid rifles, but everyone makes an occasional lemon.