Thread: shee fish!

Default shee fish!

Well i though i'd share this since nobody has yet mentioned the mighty shee fish as a great fish to catch through the ice. Went outside in nw ak today and drilled through about 4ft. of ice in about 15ft. of water. the action started almost immediately as our homemade poles were about yanked out of our hands. the action was fast and soon we had caught about two dozen fish between 15-35 lbs (most of which we let go). My wife could barely haul her fish up through the hole and it was pretty funny to see her floundering about trying to subdue these brute fish. great times and a great day.

shee fishing 2010 015.jpg

shee fishing 2010 009.jpg

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

oh man those are some wonderfull eating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

yep! fried them in tempura batter and ate w/ tartar sauce... maybe better then halibut

Default wow, nice

man i miss living in the bush..... AHHHH...

this Anchorage living is CRAP....

terrific fish!!

G

Sweet!!!!
    I wish we had them that size and in numbers here.
    Nice to see another NW AK Shee Fisher, say hi to 'strangerinastrangeland' if you see him on the ice in Kotz.

just saw stranger (chip) about a week ago

Those are very nice! I bet tasty too!

Default They are beautiful fish...

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    yep! fried them in tempura batter and ate w/ tartar sauce... maybe better then halibut
    ... and I would surely like to catch one.

Better than halibut? When I last ate shee fish from Kotz I found it to be bony and somewhat dry. Maybe we cooked it wrong.

yeah they are a little bony being part of the whitefish family and all but not really dry, fried they are wonderful and i don't really like fish so that says a lot. i know people that bake and grill them and i have yet to meet anyone that doesn't like them. like most fish the smaller ones are probably better or so i am told i've eaten small and large and they taste the same to me.

Default fast and furious

out there, boy I was happy to get a few for eating. And the dogs are mighty happy to get some high protein food in the dog pot. guess I won't have to put a net in for a while yet.

Really nice fish man! We used to catch those in the Yukon Territory where I grew up. I never ice fished for them but we did pretty good in the rivers in the spring. They remain one of if not my favorite fish to eat.

Great pics man, thanks for sharing. Brings back some fond memories for me. My very first memory in Alaska in fact. Early April, 2004, I had been in Kotz less than 24 hours. Some nice folks took me out on the ice on four wheelers and we got 20-30 shee through the ice. Man, talk about culture shock to a southern boy. A few hours later, the fry daddy was at work. Best fish I have ever eaten. Been planning to float the Kobuk for shee ever since. Just need time off in August. Thanks for sharing man.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

we used to really like smoked whitefish, we'd gill net them in northern mn growing up (can't do that anymore). I wonder how'd they'd be.

Got me thinking now, I know of some shee runs, even nailed one on the chena one spring. Sure would be nice to try one someday! Though i think I'd rather fish them on a fly rod!