Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I tried to ship hazmat on ak air today.... oh boy!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs down I tried to ship hazmat on ak air today.... oh boy!

you'd thunk i was holding an infant over the rail of an interstate over pass....

i had two boxes to send to kenai... one is compressed gas for calibrating our units... non flammable..

all packaged in the shipping container i got it in.. placards, cas numbers msds the works...

i even called AK air Yesterday and asked if i could..sure no problem fill out the form and no problem $50 hazmat fee...

BOOOOOM!!!!! goes the Lady's behind the counter.. when i told them i dont have the form i need one...

DOT shipping regs are pretty standard... UN #, classification, proper description all on the box...

first package is all done and gold streaking to.. kenai.... zoommmmmmm

haz mat package has evidently got Rabies still open for inspection...

finally the #1 lady come out..

says YOU WILL LISTEN TO EVERY THING I SAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

do you have training in filling out our Hazmat form?

um you mean like occupational safety, has mat certified, level five hazwpr and emergency responder certified?

NO! I MEAN the certification to fill out the form?

ummm a class for your form?

yeah 40 hours training to ship hazmat!!!!!!!!!!

um no.....

she then took another step up her ladder ... looking down at me with bits of meat and bone poking out of her teeth... her saliva glands were in full force now.. and the customer service agents were lining up behind her... like young lionesses... smelling blood of a tender lamb.....

sir...

you have 2 choices... one pick up your box and walk out the door...

two.. give it to us with out being trained to fill out this form... and as soon as you walk out the door i call the FAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

then they will call you......you will probably be in jail by lunch time!

your choice....

Hmmmmm sensing a reprieve from sudden blood loss, as the pressures are let off my neck and groin ...my limbs were suddenly NOT numb....

as i picked up my box.. the customer service agent was instantly again the gleaming happy person she was when i walked in...

so i asked...

Friend of mine needs some Ammo in a village.. What does it take to send it to him.....

as one fang slid out past her lip... she smiled and said.. well hazmat of course
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Wink

I can't believe you haven't picked up a cub yet and charge it to the company expense account. As much as you travel and need to move around it could easily be justified and paid for in tax savings. You could be in the air in couple of weeks and not rely on the system.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

You are quite a story teller Vince! You had me laughing all the way out here in Afghanistan. I suspect the lioness just jumped at the rare chance to snarl at an some unsuspecting prey.

So are ya going to take the 40 hour class? If so, I wouldn't post it here or you may get everyone and their brother bugging you to handle the forms for getting ammo shipped from outside.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

so is the 40 hour class free?
    Semper Fi!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    You are quite a story teller Vince! You had me laughing all the way out here in Afghanistan. I suspect the lioness just jumped at the rare chance to snarl at an some unsuspecting prey.

So are ya going to take the 40 hour class? If so, I wouldn't post it here or you may get everyone and their brother bugging you to handle the forms for getting ammo shipped from outside.

LOL i am going to have to take a class, as we recieve haz mat for the co... and i have to beable to get it out to folks.... that or like you say.. find some one to fill out the form.

maybe i should have stuck the bottle in my underwear and shipped it down?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

While wearing them? I suppose you could come up with some wild story about getting your um... "stuff" bitten of by a rampaging Grizz and then getting a metallic implant. I bet they wouldn't ask to see it.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

First, Vince, it sounds like a side line for you - filling out paperwork for folks. I let all of my (the few i had) certs expire when I left Cali, and they probably would be useless here.

I'm sad to see that someone in AK responded to you like that. One of the pleasant surprises for me since I've been here has been that most folks have been REALLY civil, if not downright nice.

The story reminds me of trying to ship EMTPY, UNPRIMED brass through UPS down in California... Oh good lord, you would have thought i was shipping an shoe bomb. Had to call and have it picked up - then it was no problem. just bizarre.

My excitment for the year will be in May - i'll be flying back from Cali and trying to bring some of my guns back with me. Should indeed be an experience. AK air employees down there aren't NEAR as gun friendly as they are up here... BTW, still trying to figure out good CHEAP cases to buy for xport - don't want to spend a fortune since i'll probably never use them again.

Quote Originally Posted by 1buba View Post
    First, Vince, it sounds like a side line for you - filling out paperwork for folks. I let all of my (the few i had) certs expire when I left Cali, and they probably would be useless here.

I'm sad to see that someone in AK responded to you like that. One of the pleasant surprises for me since I've been here has been that most folks have been REALLY civil, if not downright nice.

The story reminds me of trying to ship EMTPY, UNPRIMED brass through UPS down in California... Oh good lord, you would have thought i was shipping an shoe bomb. Had to call and have it picked up - then it was no problem. just bizarre.

My excitment for the year will be in May - i'll be flying back from Cali and trying to bring some of my guns back with me. Should indeed be an experience. AK air employees down there aren't NEAR as gun friendly as they are up here... BTW, still trying to figure out good CHEAP cases to buy for xport - don't want to spend a fortune since i'll probably never use them again.

I would seriously reconside the cheap cases... unles you dont WANT your guns in them when they get here.... LOCK LOCK LOCK LOCK LOCK>>> have it inspected at security.. and LOCK IT LOCK IT LOCK IT LOCK IT!!!!!!

meet on face book here

Default HA Ha HA

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    so is the 40 hour class free?
    SURELY you jest.
    We had 2 people certified to ship batteries (Haz-mat). I don't believe they ever packaged or delivered a battery but they did sign off on the paperwork, after I did the work. It's a scam; but they run the system so play or pay.
    Also it depends on which air carrier you ship with as to the extent of BS associated with shipping Haz-Mat.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Your getting off easy with a 40 hour course, they send us to Texas for THREE weeks for a hazmat shipper course. It's pretty much the most EXCITING training you will ever get, lots of fun

Quote Originally Posted by 1buba View Post

Suggestion; If you are going to ship in a inexpensive case . Once checked lock the case and secure the it together by putting nylon strapping tape around the case in 4 places. The tape re-enforces the hinges and holds the case halves together it also lets you know about prying eyes. RAMP-APES are tough on luggage !! GOOD LUCK !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    Your getting off easy with a 40 hour course, they send us to Texas for THREE weeks for a hazmat shipper course. It's pretty much the most EXCITING training you will ever get, lots of fun
    I thought that was because you rescue swimmers are slow learners... Just Kidding, thanks for your service.

Default Haz Mat

Vince,

Did said customer service again have curly blond hair? Me and her are good ole buddy ole pals. I ship AK air all the time. What a pain in the azz. Here is the best way I have found to deal with her. Im not sure what her schedule is right now but find out when she is not working. The rest of the lionesses are quite nice and will at least be nice to you when they tell you NO! Also try Everets and NAC they still have Hazmat rules but they don't fly passengers so its not as strict. Take chocolate, talk polite and be prepare to kiss butt and have your current certs.

you need to find out who the lady is then call her boss and have a little chat with them and then find out the lady was the counter then tell the her boss that this person was the witness to the encounter ..

i can understand the need for safety but rudeness i will not take from anyone who works in a job where i spending my hard earn dollars at

so her boss and make a statement about her work behaivor and how she treat the people who are the company customers

RE: my CHEAP gun case...

I butcher the english language real regular...

How about, the most inexpensive one possible to still get my guns here... :-)

I just hate putting a more money than necessary in them because i'll never use them again. Besides, I have 3 more rifles i REALLY want to buy right now. :-)

Thanks all.

I ship hazmat all the time, been doing it for years. It doesn't matter if your current on all your training, have all your packages properly packed and labeled with forms filled out prior to ariving at the counter. If the knuckle dragger/lioness behind the counter doesn't know what their doing you'll still get rejected.
    I got rejected from Lynden trucking a couple weeks ago because the gal behind the counter didn't know how to handle limited quantity packages and a driver walking past drinking coffee who "was an old Nalco hand so he knows his stuff" agreed that it couldn't be done. Apparently I can ship 55 gallons of methanol with them but not less than a cup of the same stuff. Don't bother trying to educate them either, your just waisting breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    I got rejected from Lynden trucking a couple weeks ago because the gal behind the counter didn't know how to handle limited quantity packages and a driver walking past drinking coffee who "was an old Nalco hand so he knows his stuff" agreed that it couldn't be done. Apparently I can ship 55 gallons of methanol with them but not less than a cup of the same stuff. Don't bother trying to educate them either, your just waisting breath.
    Some days those GRO/BTEX samples are going to cost the customer a million dollars for the charter aircraft. I used to carry my IATA book into AK Air Cargo and provided some education on LQs when shipping methanol viles. They hated me because I was polite and patient. I also learned to never go during lunch time because the people that actually knew something had senority were not around. It became very clear that who ever was training the cargo crew was not covering how to use the IATA book or the DOT hazmat table.

Vince it is a federal law that you have training to sign the form. The freaks behind the counter were right about having you busted for trying to ship the gas. However, even if they knowlingly accept the package they don't get in trouble, just you. That aint right, but that is the government way.

This is the class you need. It is online and the cheapest out there that I have found.

i moved this out of the global discussion to the outdoor gear, as this topic comes up here often enough. regarding stove fuels and getting them to fly out locations...

meet on face book here

Is this a recent change? In late 2008 I walked into Northern Air Cargo and shipped a case of the small propane bottles with my stuff to Kodiak. I declared it, they filled out the form. No issues at all. Just sign here, please.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

IMO, Goldstreak has gotten much more difficult to work with than any of the other air carriers. They'll tell you it's due to the federal regulations but that doesn't explain why they are so difficult to work with and other companies are not.

I know you also have to be a "known shipper" with them to ship anything. They did a background check on our company and sent a representative out to our location to check us out in order for us to get the "known shipper" status. The other carriers don't require that.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast