Thread: Are the low end Pelican canoes any good?

Default Are the low end Pelican canoes any good?

I've been looking for a cheap 2 person canoe to haul on the riverboat. Ideally I'd like to find a used Mad River Explorer for under $500 but would also like to visit the moon. I've been traveling in the lower 48 and am amazed to find that the low end poly Pelicans are around $329 here. I understand that they're the old Coleman's but wondered if anyone has used the Pelicans. Advice is welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by foamsfollower View Post
    I've been looking for a cheap 2 person canoe to haul on the riverboat. Ideally I'd like to find a used Mad River Explorer for under $500 but would also like to visit the moon. I've been traveling in the lower 48 and am amazed to find that the low end poly Pelicans are around $329 here. I understand that they're the old Coleman's but wondered if anyone has used the Pelicans. Advice is welcome.

sell me ur 24 footer and I'll get back to yah
    I'll promise to make it look brand new again too.............

Default Pelican canoes

the material used is RamX branded and should be of the same quality as the old colemans.
    the difference is in the seats and the floation etc.
    the Pelicans are not built as tough in that dept. have had many failures in the cheap plastic seats, where they are bolted to the gunwhale, and also to the keel pipe.
    many many failures in the past few years with the different designs they have tried..
    I have several old seats and such laying around from the methods of attachment to the canoes ..
    not impressed at all..
    the older standard Coleman 15.5 foot canoe of say the year 2000 was made by Pelican, but to the Colemans standard. that canoe weighed 84 lbs.
    over the past 10 years I know of at least 3 changes to the seat and floatation designs, all of them not as good as the system of 10 years ago..
    albiet, they lowered the weight fom the 84 lbs to about 73 lbs or so..
    just not as well built as the old ones from the mid 1990's or older..
    those were much more substantial canoes in the jewelry dept.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Thanks to both Mainer and AKcanoe for comments and advice. I think I'll pass on the Pelicans. I'll keep looking for either an old Coleman or that elusive Mad River that people seem to love. I did have a guy here in Illinois (who saw my one man Wenona on top of my truck) offer to sell me a like new 17' Gruman for $300 but I don't think that I want another aluminum canoe. Maybe I should have gotten it but the Ramex canoes have (I think) a lot of advantages over aluminum.

Mainer: I'm sure that you would take good care of that 24 footer. My plan is to get a 20 or 25 hp outboard back on it. If I had stayed home instead of taking a road trip, I could have saved enough to get a 25 hp outboard. But if I had done that, I wouldn't have had the pleasure of being trapped by a blizzard in Mitchell, SD for 3 days when I 90 was closed. To further enhance the pleasure of those 3 days, I was traveling with my new not yet housebroken puppy who knew better that to "go" outside when the snow was falling horizontally.

Quote Originally Posted by foamsfollower View Post
    Thanks to both Mainer and AKcanoe for comments and advice. I think I'll pass on the Pelicans. I'll keep looking for either an old Coleman or that elusive Mad River that people seem to love. I did have a guy here in Illinois (who saw my one man Wenona on top of my truck) offer to sell me a like new 17' Gruman for $300 but I don't think that I want another aluminum canoe. Maybe I should have gotten it but the Ramex canoes have (I think) a lot of advantages over aluminum.

Mainer: I'm sure that you would take good care of that 24 footer. My plan is to get a 20 or 25 hp outboard back on it. If I had stayed home instead of taking a road trip, I could have saved enough to get a 25 hp outboard. But if I had done that, I wouldn't have had the pleasure of being trapped by a blizzard in Mitchell, SD for 3 days when I 90 was closed. To further enhance the pleasure of those 3 days, I was traveling with my new not yet housebroken puppy who knew better that to "go" outside when the snow was falling horizontally.
    you ole goofball......even if the ownership is still to be in your name....i'd gladly like to be part of making sure this "real freighter" is completely restored to hang with the other boats no matter what.