Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just got first shotgun, want to know where to go for rabbit...

Default just got first shotgun, want to know where to go for rabbit...

I just got my hunting and fishing license for 2010 and want to start hunting small game and birds. Need advice and info on where to go,what to where, equipment,etc...thanks!

would prob help to let us know where your from

Default #8 & orange

I would get some #8 shot game loads, a pair of insulated extra tuffs or lacrosse rubber boots & go to it. Heavy thickets, alder patches, & wooded areas are good places to look for tracks & pellets, also you should be able to see where they have been chewing the branches.
    One more thing if you happen to be in an area that has others hunting, (vehicles in the parking area) I like to wear an orange hat, or game vest with carry pouch for the game & orange top for visibility. Not required by any means but it is nice to help anyone hunting with you & others know where you are & where not to shoot.

Good luck

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i like to wait for fresh powder to fall then head down to girwood area and do some bunny hunting...

when the snow is soft and deep those bunny's are falling off the hill out back and waiting for some one to scoop them up
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default No way...

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i like to wait for fresh powder to fall then head down to girwood area and do some bunny hunting...

when the snow is soft and deep those bunny's are falling off the hill out back and waiting for some one to scoop them up
    ... to talk about liberals, Vince.

Default Girdwood?

I preffer Hope.. early in the morning at the transfer stations.. Bunnies running all over the place.. you could practically limit out with a baseball bat.. I'd start their.. and wear orange..

im in anchorage btw...where at in girdwood, thats the closest place to me. And as far as hope, the transfer stations? is that past hope towards the campground? thanks for the help all.

Quote Originally Posted by akarsenal View Post
    im in anchorage btw...where at in girdwood, thats the closest place to me. And as far as hope, the transfer stations? is that past hope towards the campground? thanks for the help all.

I would just get out and look if I were you, I doubt anyone is going to tell you an exact spot to hunt unless they PM you, Otherwise when you show up to hunt there will be 10 other guys all saying how great the info is on this forum!

Default regs

MAKE SURE YOU READ THE REGS FOR WHATEVER AREA YOU ARE GOING TO HUNT!!!!! Then after you read them go to that area, read the regs again!!!

Default hunted often

Well if you just want to get out you can always try the knik rivier area ( exit off going towards wasilla) & I think you can still park at the bottom by the viaducts going under the hwy. Another place to walk would be rabbit slough. Both are hunted fairly hard but may be worth a try.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    I preffer Hope.. early in the morning at the transfer stations.. Bunnies running all over the place.. you could practicalouly limit out with a baseball bat.. I'd start their.. and wear orange..
    really Hoyt? i have always found the hope Bunny's long in the tooth and tuff..

seems there are more young bunny's in the girdwood and for some reason.. weekends just at dusk used to be the best...though field dressing one WILL get you in trouble.. if caught and you may find more then you bargained for dressing them back at the lodge.

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    really Hoyt? i have always found the hope Bunny's long in the tooth and tuff..

seems there are more young bunny's in the girdwood and for some reason.. weekends just at dusk used to be the best...though field dressing one WILL get you in trouble.. if caught and you may find more then you bargained for dressing them back at the lodge.

I never cared for the bunnies in that area....they always smelled funny.......
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    I never cared for the bunnies in that area....they always smelled funny.......
    well thats due to the snow fall for the areas.. if you look closely.. they have a ton more hair under the front and rear, legs then average winter bunnies. and when they crap themselves falling down the fresh snow hill.. it sticks!

meet on face book here

I load up w/ #6 shot and and nothing smaller. 5 would be fine. When you go lighter you get more pellets stuck in the meat to be found at dinner time.

I don't personally wear orange but my kids get orange hats whenever they are in the woods w/ me hunting small game.

I don't know much about Girdwood bunnys but I imagine it is a better place to hunt for them than hillside with the snow we have this year...

In case you haven't figured it out, the snow bunny's in Girdwood are at Aleyska Resort, skiing.....

You guys are mean.

This is my first winter rabbit hunting and this is what I did. I got in my truck, picked a highway, and drove down it. I walked in and around all the pullouts and trails and eventually I found myself 3 solid spots (two north, one south of Anchorage). There are also a few not so good spots that I hit up for the challenge. They are popular and the rabbits are VERY skittish.

You will know your in a good area by the number of tracks. If there are tracks EVERYWHERE and rabbit turds every few feet its a good spot. If there are 3 or 4 sets of rabbit tracks, its not such a good spot. If you can walk through it, the cover is not thick enough. Look for thick cover with some sort of right-of-way through it like a trail, road, or river.

If a shotgun is all you have, use it with 5's or 6's. Personally, I'll never shoot another rabbit with a shotgun. A lot of shots are inside 10 yards and you just destroy them at that range. You can try and catch them with the edge of the pattern but at that range, its pretty much a solid mass. A .22 with open sights or a peep sight is ideal; and a bow is a lot of fun.

Snowshoes and very useful and warm comfortable clothing is a must. IF you put in the time and miles, you WILL find rabbits. I promise you. People are not going to give you spots on the internet unless they are the super popular over-hunted spots.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

I was also in your spot, just started hare hunting last year and needed a place to go. I found a decent place but it took a few trips to figure it out. Like MNViking said just drive a bit and stop at pullouts and walk. Put in the hours. You'll find a spot, then wont tell anyone about it Can't spoil the goods

When using a shotgun to harvest bunnies it is important to SHOOT!! You are using a shotgun!! It is not a precision implement, it is designed to be pointed and fired!! When I first started w/ a 12 gauge I was sllloooooowww on the trigger like I was using a .22 waiting for the perfect shot. Now I routinely shoot right through grass hummocks and alder bunches and consistently kill bunnies. Not many pellets have to hit them to make an effective kill. As you get better you will also learn how to lead them and catch them in the edge of the patter at pretty close range. My cousin snap shot one at about 3 yards last year and pretty much removed it's head but there was no meat damage, it just takes lots of practice. The only way to get good at it is to hunt hard and take a lot of shots. I have not had a rabbit get hit and recover enough to continue moving that I was not able to follow up on w/ a second fatal shot, and even that happens less than a 1% of the time. 99% they never take another step. If they are still alive just grab em by the head and body and give em a quick jerk to break the neck.

Default 10 yds

Wow,
    I obviously hunt a little differently. My main spot is hunted light to moderate so they are a bit jumpy. The main thing is I hunt with my dog & go out more so for her exercise than to get hares. Thus 95% of my shots are at running rabbits through fairly heavy brush & usually have quick small openings, so a 22 would never work. Once in while when they back track from the dog they come running by within 10 yds but not to often. The one time this winter I was out of 8s & only had 6's was one of those days that one almost ran into me, then stopped & tried to exit directyly away at 90 degrees. Unforunately I got a little jumpy & shot to soon. It was split in two right in the center, & even the dog wouldn't pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    Wow,
    I obviously hunt a little differently. My main spot is hunted light to moderate so they are a bit jumpy. The main thing is I hunt with my dog & go out more so for her exercise than to get hares. Thus 95% of my shots are at running rabbits through fairly heavy brush & usually have quick small openings, so a 22 would never work. Once in while when they back track from the dog they come running by within 10 yds but not to often. The one time this winter I was out of 8s & only had 6's was one of those days that one almost ran into me, then stopped & tried to exit directyly away at 90 degrees. Unforunately I got a little jumpy & shot to soon. It was split in two right in the center, & even the dog wouldn't pick it up.
    The dog would make the .22 almost impossible, I agree. I usually just still hunt down trails and rivers looking into the thickest cover I can find. Usually they hold tight long enough for me to get them with a bow if I don't stare at them. I would say on the average day I'll see 10 hares and get 3 or 4 of them either before them move or after they stop running.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I load up w/ #6 shot and and nothing smaller. 5 would be fine. When you go lighter you get more pellets stuck in the meat to be found at dinner time.

I don't personally wear orange but my kids get orange hats whenever they are in the woods w/ me hunting small game.

I don't know much about Girdwood bunnys but I imagine it is a better place to hunt for them than hillside with the snow we have this year...

right on,
    I only use # 6 too. I used to use 5 shot but that seemed a bit too much.....but never a jaw rattled at dinnertime when you clamp down those teeth on a very hard piece of lead. I have a 1300 upland special that looks like a short barrelled model 94 and points like one too. I use improved cylinder and 3 in. 20 gauge 6-shot federals.....i believe it's like 1-3/4 ounces of shot but in a small 20 gauge package. I aim at the tip of the bunnie's nose weather the bunny runs or not and the shot pattern takes good care of the rest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast