Thread: Rm764

Default Rm764

So I registered for the cow permit in 20A....... After getting home the area I planned to hunt is closed. Anyone hunt this before and have words of wisdom to share on where to start? I do not have a sled so its truck hunting or on foot. Is the river safe to cross? I didnt think it was a good idea. Yanert is walk in only and thats my backup plan. Any insight on methods would be appreciated

Default Careful on the river

If you plan on crossing near Salcha, be careful. We were just up there and the F&G info desk told us the river in that area (Salcha to North Pole) is known for not freezing well. We crossed closer to FBKS, but it's not feasible to hunt on foot. Had to run about 14-15 miles before we could pull the trigger. The river was great where we crossed. Saw lots of moose on the road from Anchorage, but the Yanert cooridor was short. No roadside moose to be had on our drive...If you have a 4WD 4wheeler, you could take the Bonnefield trail from FBKS without much problem. There's not much snow and the trial is well packed. I imagine the area will be buzzing with the holiday weekend though.
    ...been on a search to top my 30x18 rainbow for 13 years now...I guess it's game time!!!
    13' Aire WildCat, 9' 7wt SAGE RPLXI, 10' 5wt SAGE XP, .300 RUM Zeiss 3x9 when all else fails

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have a map of the units here the BIO gave us at the AC meeting the other day..

few things to consider...

must be reported in 24 hours

also have to turn in lower jaw as soon as out of field

troopers are out in force last weekend and for certain this one to catch short trippers

some of these area are extremely difficult to access will require GPS, maps and a certain amount of good knowledge of the area.

zone 2B with a limit of 45 moose

zone 4 A almost accessible by Rex trail is only open Feb 27 and 28 to reduce the trappers conflict. as many traps and sets have been stolen or disturbed by visiting hunters Limit 30 moose

zone 4B 20 moose well back in the wood CUA area.

zone 5B with 75 moose as it is one of the hardest to access year round and moose numbers are still higher

6B with20 moose, limited access off the Rich. also touted to be very hard to access, both 5 and 6 B have latitude requirements this year.

plan on extreme cold and low snow areas.

know your ZONES, and carry safety gear.. non of these are easy hunt areas, some will require advanced knowledge of riding conditions and skills.

zone 10 yanert... 10 moose walk in only... plenty of snow there last time i was down... lots of private prop to cross off the highway... as well mt regions to get around
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Man Vince you sure make this hunt sound like nothing but gloom and doom.

You know this one is much easier than that. Just head off on the snogo with a rifle on your back and whack a cow moose then drag her to your place so I can watch you clean her up while I have a cold one like the "Real Hunters" do. Cold weather whats that? Overflow never heard of it.

In all seriousness this is not an easy hunt and will take a bit of planning as well as experience operating and living far from help in the Alaska winter.

Better plan on going in on a snowmachine and staying there for 3-4 days to get your moose and get out of there. This will require an arctic oven or wall tent with wood stove to keep you warm. Watch out for overflow and open leads on any water crossings as they are fairly common in Alaska regardless of the ambient temps.

Don't forget a 22 or shotgun for all the ptarmigan!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

doom and gloom Rob?

was not the intent.. just reporting was was handed to me by the bio.

this hunt was put into the hard tor each areas for a REASON. as those areas are not being hunted in the fall hunts and the numbers are higher there.

the 24 hour report is to prevent from exceeding the quota.

many have already been taken in the most accessible unit so verify with F&G (FAIRBANKS office would be best)prior to running out there as it may be shut down .. especially with the warming this weekend.

(ps rob.... got photos of the kids at the wrestling match... will pm them to you we i figure out the new camera)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here