Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archery Competitions in Alaska?

Question Archery Competitions in Alaska?

Hi all,

I am going to be moving to Alaska this year and was wondering if there was any indoor and/or 3d competition shoots? I'm very active in the NFAA and ASA down here in the lower 48 with Hoyt, and was hoping I'd still have some places to shoot as well as some competitions to attend.

Where you going to be living?

3d shoots in multiple areas most tend to not be in the summer ( FISHING IS THE MISSION) there are a few in the summer.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Ya indoor usually is a winter sport here....3D is more of a spring into early summer thing.

As far as where I'm moving....around Kenai.

http://www.alaskastatearchery.com/ Most of what your lookng for will be on this site and it,s Links

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    http://www.alaskastatearchery.com/ Most of what your lookng for will be on this site and it,s Links

Definitely....thanks alot! Looks to be a small number of shooters. Looks like I could make some noise in the state shoots come 2011! Look out!

Cook Inlet Archers, 3D, Outside, winter only. Great fun actually.

Kenai Peninsula Archers have a very nice outdoor range and have regular 3D shoots. also locally on Sat morning there is indoor shooting at local church in Kenia.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

The Independence day shoot is in Kenai 4th of July weekend.

Here is a link to most of the big shoots - ASAA
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper_Kyle View Post
    Definitely....thanks alot! Looks to be a small number of shooters. Looks like I could make some noise in the state shoots come 2011! Look out!
    Im a local mathews shooter ,you'll have to watch out for me first

Kyle- I've won state titles in indoor, 3D and field in the past. If you are a decent shooter indoor...300-50X freestyle shooter in NFAA, and are a decent shooter in the ASAA, you will see very little competition in Alaska. Yes, there are some really good shooters here, but only a handful. I travelled to the states to compete in the past and I flat got smoked at most tournaments I attended. We have a couple guys that have made really good showings out of State and you will find out who they are once you get here.

There is actually a complete lack of decent tournaments up here for the amount of bowhunters we have. I visited North Carolina a couple years ago and hit three indoor money shoots and two 3D's in a week. That doesn't happen up here. It's a shame that more Alaskans don't shoot tournaments. They are really fun and make you a much better archer. The Kenai July 4th tournament is probably my overall favorite.

Now that my carpal tunnel surgery is done you might see me around again. I feel the competitive bug coming back after two years away from competing in Alaska.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default just my thoughts

Some things to think about, 3D starts in November and runs thru April I believe, why===because when it is hunting season and fishing season--no one wants to be on the range!! The reason the numbers are so low is because the state is so spread out, its a 3=4 hour trip from the Kenai to Anchorage--where most of the shooting occurs, it is a 7-8 hour trip from Anchorage to Fairbanks. The thing that I took away from the shooting up there is that you will make some great friends and possibly learn better how to hunt the state. I will warn you that there seems to be a lot of politics present in some of the orgs up there--it is good ol boy country at best. Just because the numbers are low doesnt mean that they cant shoot, Harry Bates has placed 2nd at Outdoor Nationals numerous times--and if he had the money to travel to more lower 48 Major shoots I believe that he will be placing at them. If I were you, you are going to the greatest hunting state in the world, I would focus on what critter you were going to hunt when you got there!! Good Luck--and wish I was back there everyday that I am in the lower 48!!

Harry has done well and he's a good friend. He will be the first to tell you that the competition up here, or lack of it, makes it tough to keep your edge when it comes time to shoot with the big boys in the States.

I think my posts have a negative edge and I'm sorry about that. Some of the best times shooting have been in Alaska. Good friends, good times and lots of great hunting stories. I just wish more guys would come out and play

I shoot a hoyt in MBHFS and my state scores last year was 599-103X in Oklahoma....I whiffed my first shot.

Indiana I took 3rd with a 600-101x. Winner shot a 600-120x!!!!! with a strap trigger release lol

I average around 300-48-52x a round with the occasional whiff. Our indoor is really starting to heat up here. It's a blast for sure.

Now 3D is a totally different story.....I can't judge yardage worth a crap lol.

Talking

What's a Hoyt? Isn't that some kind of apple? Like a Granny Smith or a Fuji?

It's all in fun. You sound like a much better shot than I. You're gonna love some Alaska, Trooper!

Taylor

-[]-------->

Trooper- With scores like that you will do fine in AMBHFS. In fact, last year you would have won our State tournament. The year I won, 2005, I shot a 600 with 101 X's.

I won that indoor title shooting a Newberry..a bow that nobody has ever heard of and they are already long gone. I've won a state title shooting a Hoyt in 3D, a Newberry indoor, and a Mathews in field and a Martin in field. The bows make no difference.

Talking An apple, lol, cute!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    What's a Hoyt? Isn't that some kind of apple? Like a Granny Smith or a Fuji?

It's all in fun. You sound like a much better shot than I. You're gonna love some Alaska, Trooper!

Taylor

-[]-------->
    Let me know if I you need me to show you what a "HOYT" is!! LOL
    "Grab your bow and let's go!"

Default just my thoughts

AK Doug,

Here I am in the state of one of the top indoor shooters in the world--and I am hard pressed to find much competition??? I have to go to Kentucky to shoot league, was hoping to shoot state championship in KY and TN, but they are on the same day. Hopefully I can go to Sectionals and Nationals, but depends upon what the army says. As much as I hated all the BS brought about by Blacksheep leadership, I miss being able to drive to the indoor range at 11pm and shoot til 2-3 am with the guys.

Default Blacksheep Rocks!

I've only lived in Montana and Alaska, but have never found a better archery club, of which to be apart. 24-7 indoor shooting 365 d/y out to 50 yards!!!! that's nuts -- cool! ...best part is it's only 2 blocks from my house. Static course out to 100 yards outdoors, plus a 3/4 mile walk through 3D set up through the hills and trees ea spring-fall 24-7...the club is really amazing.

Yep the leadership is tight, they've gotten under my skin a couple of times, but they definitely have the club's best interest and longevity in mind, in my opinion. They don't put up with bull crap, but neither did my grandpa (but he could never catch me).

The club offers indoor shoots and 3D shoots pretty regular; see the website calendar for exact dates/times.

You're welcome to check it out! See ya' on the range!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Harry has done well and he's a good friend. He will be the first to tell you that the competition up here, or lack of it, makes it tough to keep your edge when it comes time to shoot with the big boys in the States.

I think my posts have a negative edge and I'm sorry about that. Some of the best times shooting have been in Alaska. Good friends, good times and lots of great hunting stories. I just wish more guys would come out and play

I agree coming from Arizoan shot 3D tournaments until the summer when it was to hot.. But Best times I had shooting those tournaments met some great guys, 2008 I placed 6th overall in the Arizona triple crown I know if I stayed down thier I could have placed in the top 3. Alaska does lack that but as stated who wants to drive 3 hours in bad weather to shoot for a couple of hours and turn around to drive in that same weather... Indoor shotos are fun, bu limited to maybe 35-40 yards max, but I rather shoot a good walking course but know one is going to do that in negative degree weather LOL...

I have never figured why golf courses could stay busy in this state, but an archery range can't. One of the finest field courses in the western U.S. is in Anchorage, but it sees very limited use and the state tourney usually draws about 20 shooters. I'd much rather shoot a field round with a few guys than a round of golf.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast