Thread: Lodging near Petersville

Default Lodging near Petersville

We're looking for a place to stay next weekend near Petersville so we don't have to travel there every day. I know Gate Creek is full and Kenny Creek Lodge is out. Would like to stay as close to Petersville as possible.

I have given up trying to find a place on the weekend in Petersville or Eureka years ago. I was tent camping and now I use a camper.

Good luck.

Try staying in Talkeetna. They've got some good lodging on the way into town and you can even ride all the way into Petersville on snowmobile using the trail system. Some friends showed us last year.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

It looks like that might be our only option. Did you take the east/west express trail?

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    It looks like that might be our only option. Did you take the east/west express trail?
    I'm ignorant on the name of the trails but I can find out. We went out on the river, across it and then followed a well-maintained trail all the way to Petersville. I thought that it was called the Chulitna Ridge trail, but I could be mistaken by that. It also seems like I saved the GPS track. I'll take a look. If I find more info I will PM you with it.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Default Petersville, Dutch Hills loop

Anyone know the mileage from the roadhouse down towards the Kahiltna, then up the Cache Creek road between Dutch Hills and Peters Hills and back around on the road to the road house? I'd like to make that loop and was wondering how many miles it is, and if anyone has done it yet this year or been on parts of those trails?

Thanks,
    Bobble

AKHunter 45; Trapper Creek Inn right on the highway at the Petersville Road intersection. http://www.trappercrkinn.com/ridepetersville.html You can ride the groomed trail from the Inn right to the east/west expressway. The trail is on the east side of the highway, crosses at 121.5 (E/W Expressway) and heads back to the hills.

Bobblehead; Maps with waypoints marked are also accessable from the Trapper Creek Inn site. Here is the map. http://www.trappercrkinn.com/PNSLoops.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Anyone know the mileage from the roadhouse down towards the Kahiltna, then up the Cache Creek road between Dutch Hills and Peters Hills and back around on the road to the road house?
    We call that "60 mile loop #1" cause it is about 60 miles.

"60 mile loop #2 is to take the EW Express - Bunco lake trail - Chulitna bluff trail back to the EW Express at the Parks. This one is nearly all groomed and marked now by the Curry Ridge riders.

"60 mile loop #3 is take Peters creek to the Kahiltna - Pickle Creek and Big Swamp back to the Ville. (Usually Spring only due to Kahiltna conditions)

You could also try North Country B&B right by the school on PVille road.

907-733-3981

Thanks for the info, do you recommend one over the other for fun/scenery?

Have you been on any of them yet this year?

I went part way up the EW express and just north of Bunco and it appears to all be groomed. The cache creek loop should be fine conditions wise. I hear there is lots of fresh white soft stuff up in the saddle after sunday's storm. The North loop trail is really easy and groomed for the laid back easy family rides. The cache creek loop involves a little more skill if you have inexperience riders with you (hills and powder). Cache creek has the scenery factor by far and you can play in the hills along the way.

You could also try North Country B&B right by the school on PVille road.

907-733-3981
    I second this. Bob and Deb are good people. Bob makes a mean homebrew beer too

On the Talkeetna side you can call Susitna River Lodging at 733-0505. I don't know if the trail across the river is in yet They'll let you know.

There is also the Trapper Creek Inn at 733-2302 and McKinley View B&B at 733-1758
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem