Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bivi's

Default Bivi's

Looking at Getting a Bivi bag. Was wondering if anybody had any recomendations on which ones to get. Want to use it for Spike camps while sheep hunting, or moose hunting and light weight backpacking trips. Thanks.

My bivy is the military ranger version. I bought it at the military surplus store on Spenard in Anchorage. They are Gore-Tex and very heavy duty. You can buy just the bivy bag or the entire sleep system. It seems like the bivy ran me $250 or so...the entire sleep system was a lot more, something like $600. I'm going off memory though, so I could be wrong, and it might have gotten cheaper over the years. I've used it for winter camping in snow caves and what not, so I know it works. It kept me and my sleeping bag dry and warm. I've never used it as just my sole source of shelter out on the ground, though, but I know the Army Rangers use it that way.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

best of the best,
    Mountain laurel Designs
    http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...c59d3b01601104

The Ptarmigan bivy from Titanium Goat is a great piece of gear. Weighs 6ozs with the sack. I use it and a super light weight fleece sleeping bag liner. The bivy and liner weigh just over 1lb. I keep the bivy and liner with me anytime I'm away from camp in case I have to siwash. I keep my sleeping bag in the bivy and stuff both into a sack, the bivy helps keep the sleeping bag dry. Here is the link and a photo.
    http://www.titaniumgoat.com/Bivy.html

Steve

Default Wiggy's bags

Try the Wiggy's bags, I have used them on Adak, got soaking wet and survived the night to walk out the next day. They make a bivy sack that breaths on the top and is water proof on the bottom, I did not have one on Adak, but I have one now. Gerberman

Thanks guys your info is handy

The tigoat is a sweet setup but it is not a "by itself" bivi. It is designed to be used w/ a tarp as are most of the ultra lightweight ones on the market. That said a quality tarp and one of the tigoat bivi's is a fantastic ultralight setup. For me I would just go w/ a golite teepee and pitch it w/ a trekking pole.

i think mines and outdoor research from the cabela's catalog. i tried a cabelas one, put it in water and it only took about 2 min for water to come in. sent it back. like the one i have now. i'd sleep out in the rain with it for sure, adds 10 degree or so to my sleeping bag to which is a nice bounes and i can put my sleeping pad inside it under my bag so i don't slid off it all night.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i think mines and outdoor research from the cabela's catalog. i tried a cabelas one, put it in water and it only took about 2 min for water to come in. sent it back. like the one i have now. i'd sleep out in the rain with it for sure, adds 10 degree or so to my sleeping bag to which is a nice bounes and i can put my sleeping pad inside it under my bag so i don't slid off it all night.
    Sounds like the ultimate bear burrito to me

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Which one do you have that is waterproof? I have the GI one but never tried it in rain yet.

I have an Army goretex bivy I picked up at a garage sale for $5 and I use it where no backpacking is involved. When I go up a mtn I use a Montbell Ultralight Gore-Tex Bivy Bag that weighs 7.2 oz. They're not cheap $175-$200 but they are light and pack down to the size of can of pop.

Default Bivi sacks

I have a couple of the gortex bivi sacks that i have used for several years. If you can get one you will not regret it. There was a couple styles out there one was the older cloth and the newer camo style in gortex. The gortex is the way to go by far, i have used it in every weather condition. I have yet to get wet in a rain storm or my gear either. I also use the three piece mil cold weather sleeping system as well. That is not really want you may want to carry on a sheep hunt but i will ad if you have a good sleeping bag the bivi will make it twice as good. Myself i have used it from the middle east to 12000 ft in mountains in CO to winter snow machine camping in Dec, Jan here in AK.. I don't think you will go wrong with it as a good hunting piece of need to have gear.
    Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I have an Army goretex bivy I picked up at a garage sale for $5 and I use it where no backpacking is involved. When I go up a mtn I use a Montbell Ultralight Gore-Tex Bivy Bag that weighs 7.2 oz. They're not cheap $175-$200 but they are light and pack down to the size of can of pop.
    Good deal on the $5 garage sale GI Bivy! I got mine off ebay for $65 and thought I made a steal!

Quote Originally Posted by THE_HUNTERIAM View Post
    Good deal on the $5 garage sale GI Bivy! I got mine off ebay for $65 and thought I made a steal!
    X2 on that. I bought mine at a military surplus store for what seems like $200 or so.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by THE_HUNTERIAM View Post
    I think the gal was selling off her ex military boyfriends stuff.

Man, I can't imagine buying a bivy that wasn't completely waterproof - at least not intentionally. I'm in the market for a bivy as well, but it must be 100% waterproof for my purposes. I'm planning a few point A to point B mountain treks (while carrying a rifle in the case sheep lightning strikes), and I'm hoping to only carry a bivy for shelter. As such, it needs to be fully weather proof. It may add a few ounces or even a pound to the weight, but I don't really see the point of a bivy otherwise.

On a personal preference note, I also would only consider one with 1-2 poles. I just can't stand sleeping with something sitting on my face.

brian i've done sheep hunts with just a tarp, or a noahs tarp they call it, covers more ground, gives you room to cook and store gear under and sleep. you just sleep on your pad right on the ground and its usually less than lb or just over. i think i'd do that before i just tossed a bivy out on the ground for a sheep hunt. one rainy day and the rest of the trip just got miserable getting in and out of it when your wet, and everything else is wet...something to think about.
    Master guide 212

Here's my lightweight palace.. No bivy bag just a 8x10' tarp...Kinda like Jake's talking about...
    Attached Images Attached Images

ya real similar, i use rocks an tent stakes( when i'm above treeline) for my corners and edges, and i use my walkin' axe to keep one end up (the roof peak) and i can lean my axe or shove it father into the ground to keep the height of my roof the way i want it. and i can reach everything in my pack...without getting wet...!!!
    Master guide 212

Jake, you would float down the mountainsides in SE in that rig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast