Thread: Can someone help me idenify my Canoe

Default Can someone help me idenify my Canoe

Ok so i just picked up a Canoe and i cant figure out for the life of me who makes it. Its 15ft long it is made out of plastic it does have the Aluminim tube on the bottom. I have called Pelican, Coleman and Old Town and nothing. The serial number starts with a Q and it is engraved in the rear right outter part of the Canoe. Also the Canoe is Red/Orange is color. Any help would be awesome. I can post pics if needed.

To me, it sounds like an ol' coleman. Post up some pictures and someone can probably give a better determination.

That what i was thinking but i called Coleman and they directed me to Pelican and They said since they took over Coleman in 2000 that the new and old model numbers started with a ZEP Serial number... I have no idea.. i will post pics.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...3&id=648001650

That looks exactly like the two coleman's I got in the back yard. Both are labeled as such, if there wasn't the snow covering them, I could get you photos.

To me, I'll say coleman. They've changed their construction style since 2000; I'd have to say early to mid 90's version.

HTH

Looks like a standard older model 15' Coleman.

Default It's the one...

Sitting outside your house. Thinner than a riverboat and longer than a zodiac!!! I just couldn't resist.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Hi

I found that a Jenny asked same question in this forum 1 month ago.

Please use search box at the top of site to find this question.

Rgs

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kevin1488 View Post
    That what i was thinking but i called Coleman and they directed me to Pelican and They said since they took over Coleman in 2000 that the new and old model numbers started with a ZEP Serial number... I have no idea.. i will post pics.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...3&id=648001650

well if no one wants to claim it .. a stencil and can of flashy spray paint will fix it up...put last name on it..

that way when your friends ask... what kind it is... you just say " mine"

though some years ago costco in anch and sams both were selling some off brands cheap...could be one of them.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default at first glance

its an old coleman.
    the bulkheads on each end?
    the bar down the floor,
    the cross bar attached to the keel bar and then to the gunwhales.
    the gunwhale aluminum cap, it looks just like a perfect replica of an old 15 foot coleman. or it may even be a Coleman
    the stickers on those old colemans fell off easy.
    Pelican took over long after this canoe was made.

Someone Making knock offs of Colemans??? now that is funny.
    so ,,, you got your Oreo cookies, the good ones, lets say Oreo is like a Mad river canoe.. then you got the knock off Oreo's, called Hydrox, for about half the money, and Hydrox would be Coleman, and those are horrible, and then you got someone making a knock off and doing even a cheaper brand of Hydrox Coleman???
    Now thats a business doomed at the get go..lol

We have owned dozens of Colemans and Pelicans over the past 20 years of renting canoes, and they are for use on the infamous Swanson river itself, not the lake system.. the river is a rock garden that ruins nice boats, and the old colemans are perfect for such a stream.. they take a beating, but are not a boat that will win any race, unless its against other colemans or pelicans...
    they have there place and they do it nicely..
    We keep them around just for such places...
    but if you ever paddle a quality Glass or kevlar canoe, or even a Roylex canoe, its tough to get back in a coleman.. these other canoes glide when paddled and colemans quit moving almost as soon as you remove the paddle blade from the water.. the bottoms have a oil can effect that makes them even more less dynamic..
    but Man .,,, I love the Coleman or pelican on the Swanson river....
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

RMK

Cool Did you find it in the Gulkana River?

I was on a trip in 1987 where we left an orange Coleman like that one wrapped around a rock in the canyon on the Gulkana River. I didn't mind losing the canoe so much, but leaving "junk" behind really ate at me.

We tried everything to free it from the underwater rock beneath the falls, but 10 tons of water pressure has a strange way of being a tough competitor. I always hoped that someone salvaged it.

Since those days, I've paddled a lot of canoes, and not one was a Coleman or Pelican. I prefer the lighter Royalex and Kevlar models. Wi-no-nah makes a nice boat, as does Mad River, Esquif, Old Town, and many others.

It really boils down to the eye of the beholder. If money is no object, I would own several canoes. The earlier post was right, that is the perfect boat for the Swanson River. I've done it in a fiberglass canoe a couple times, and you have to be really careful.

If you want to see some of the best looking canoes ever, Google Merrimack Canoes and check out their line. Brace yourself, the prices start at $3,000.