Thread: Willow predator hunter needed to help me a get something this winter!

Default Willow predator hunter needed to help me a get something this winter!

Hi,

I live in willow and am new to predator hunting I am also handicapped and would love for someone who knows the area and would like to teach me the ropes. I have a 2010 polaris ranger with full cab and heat on tracks to get out there i also have a foxpro ecaller, some traps and a snow blind. I would really love to get a fox, lynx and coyote this year or even just one i tried last winter but i was going about the wrong way i am now reading hunting the hunters and im really excited to get my first predator.

thanks
    Stubbs

Stubbs,
    Good luck in your efforts. It sounds like you really want to get out after them. I would buddy up with you but I'm in the Delta area. I'm sure someone will step up. There is a way you can improve your odds if you have a spot where animals are moving through. I read an article in a predator hunting magazine where guys make "meatcicles". Get rotten meat, fish scraps, etc (no edible meat for all you lawyers out there) and fill up a 5 gallon bucket half way with it, then add some water and mix it up and let it freeze. Then take the bucket out to your hunt area and pop the meatcicle out. Make several. They will keep critters in the area, the birds can't hurt them too much, the critters can't haul them off (you could probably freeze a snare cable in it if you want to anchor it to a tree if you want)...and you can set up along the travel route of the animals. Heck, they will probably use your vehicle tracks. Also, you might want to drag some stinky stuff behind your rig to your bait area to increase your chances...Good luck and take pictures!
    PC gag in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Sportsman View Post
    Stubbs,
    Good luck in your efforts. It sounds like you really want to get out after them. I would buddy up with you but I'm in the Delta area. I'm sure someone will step up. There is a way you can improve your odds if you have a spot where animals are moving through. I read an article in a predator hunting magazine where guys make "meatcicles". Get rotten meat, fish scraps, etc (no edible meat for all you lawyers out there) and fill up a 5 gallon bucket half way with it, then add some water and mix it up and let it freeze. Then take the bucket out to your hunt area and pop the meatcicle out. Make several. They will keep critters in the area, the birds can't hurt them too much, the critters can't haul them off (you could probably freeze a snare cable in it if you want to anchor it to a tree if you want)...and you can set up along the travel route of the animals. Heck, they will probably use your vehicle tracks. Also, you might want to drag some stinky stuff behind your rig to your bait area to increase your chances...Good luck and take pictures!
    Thanks for the tips i will give that a try i saw a coyote yesterday so i will start to make some stinky "meatcicles" tomorrow its super warm here so i need to wait till it cools down i rode down the big su and up the yetna today and its really soft and some nasty overflow spots. I need a hunting buddy to help me set up and also help me with getting the critters in the ranger my wife will not be a part of, as she says "killing cute fuzzy's" .