Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moderators, please...

Default Moderators, please...

It's not good form to lock threads then continue to post comments, especially when directed at other members. Those members do not have a chance at rebuttal or clarification. If you lock the thread, end it and leave it alone. To continue to post is merely getting in your last word at all costs and isn't right.

Default Reply

Hi,

I think you're talking about the guide thread? I posted the last comment in there, but then it was locked afterward. I didn't lock it, but I thought about it. It really wasn't producing anything useful...

Sorry if it seemed that I was getting in a few parting shots, while closing the opportunity for others. That wasn't my intention.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I closed the thread, DP. I'm thinking that Mike had submitted his post just prior to it's demise.
    Fwiw, several have emailed expressing gratitude that it's closed.

Frank

Mike,
    For you to post comments directed at Cub that his comments were absurd then lock down the thread is just plain bad form. Lock the thread if it needed, which it probably did, but don't take parting shots then lock it down. If you are going to make a post where your point is clarified or demeaning to another poster, you should give them the opportunity for rebuttal. To get the last word in then lock it isn't appropriate.

Regardless of intent, that is what happened. You can't call someone else's thoughts absurd then not give them an opportunity to respond. That's either cowardly or otherwise ill-intended.

Fullkurl,
    The issue isn't about the locking of that thread. The thread needed to be locked as I stated previously. The issue was for a moderator to take shots at member and not give the member a chance for rebuttal. I moderate two different hunting/shooting forums and that is completely unacceptable. If the thread was locked after Strahan posted, which I don't think it was, I think Strahan posted after it was locked, then Strahan should edit out his comments to Cub.

DPhillips - I can certainly see where your concern is coming from, but I can tell you that the scenario is true as Mike and Frank are stating it. I took a short break from work today and logged on. When I did so I saw Mike's comment. I had thought about locking the thread before I read his post, but decided not to for the very reasons you posted. I then checked out some other forums and came back to the hunting forum - not two minutes later, it was locked, which seems to back Frank's version of the story. If Frank says that he locked it without seeing Mike's comment, I for one would take him at his word - he has never shown any reason not to trust him completely.

Incidentally, Mike is not a moderator for the hunting forum. We all moderate specific forums - Frank and I are on hunting, whereas Mike does the boating forums. He didn't unlock it to post the last word.

-Brian

One of the beautiful things about life in America is the right to free speech. That right provides us the assurance that we may speak our minds even if our opinions are unpopular. Perhaps nobody will listen, but we may speak.

Apparently that freedom doesn't extend to this forum.

As long as two parties are reponding back and forth, there's a discussion. When moderators stifle their ability to speak, there is no discussion.

I don't have to respect what somebody else says. But I have enough respect to allow them to say it.

Nobody put a gun to my head and made me read any internet thread. If I selected it, I did so by choice. If I participated, I did so by choice. I pass on many threads. Now a moderator has interfered with my ability to make those choices. I find that a little troubling.

I found some of the opinions on the locked thread interesting. I don't necessarily agree with them, but they made me examine my own views. That's what discussions are for....I thought.

Still unacceptable, no matter the excuse. I can't believe the last post from a moderator is left to stand over that of a general member.

i think cub could reply to him in a PM or start another thread addressing the guide issues minus the comments about the guide the other post started about. just because the thread got locked don't mean the two have no means of discussion.
    the moderators or someone even mentioned starting a thread about the guide disscussion, that would be a place for the topics they were discussing. they're big boys, they can figure it out on their own.

I suppose you're right. But then the moderators could have left it alone. After all, it was the most lively thread I've seen in my short time here. Lots of posts, lots of views. Active participation from one of the moderators, too. Locking it seems a little like bullying, which is ironic considering the original topic.

Maybe it's a guide thing. (That's a joke)

Default Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    I suppose you're right. But then the moderators could have left it alone. After all, it was the most lively thread I've seen in my short time here. Lots of posts, lots of views. Active participation from one of the moderators, too. Locking it seems a little like bullying, which is ironic considering the original topic.

Maybe it's a guide thing. (That's a joke)
    ...For your thoughts, Pid. We are always learning here as members and moderators. Its tough to know where to draw the line, after all, we're just outdoorsmen and hunters like everyone else.
    I actually took the advice of our fellow members in the decision to lock the thread.
    By the way, the "lurkers" here would surprise you. They might not always post, but they surely do read and care about this forum. They often email input too.
    As I stated before, the thread had merit but also continued on the path of stoning the aforementioned guide. Sometimes you have to say "uncle". 'Twas time.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by B_M View Post
    DPhillips -

Incidentally, Mike is not a moderator for the hunting forum. We all moderate specific forums - Frank and I are on hunting, whereas Mike does the boating forums. He didn't unlock it to post the last word.

-Brian
    Does that mean that mods only use mod controls on their assigned board only or have they and do they use them on boards that they are not assigned as mods???

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    ...For your thoughts, Pid. We are always learning here as members and moderators. Its tough to know where to draw the line, after all, we're just outdoorsmen and hunters like everyone else.
    I actually took the advice of our fellow members in the decision to lock the thread.
    By the way, the "lurkers" here would surprise you. They might not always post, but they surely do read and care about this forum. They often email input too.
    As I stated before, the thread had merit but also continued on the path of stoning the aforementioned guide. Sometimes you have to say "uncle". 'Twas time.

Frank
    Frank,

That tough part of being the guy in charge is that no matter what you do, somebody'll complain. I only hope the special interests/squeeky wheels don't get consideration over the majority because they send you private e-mail. C'mon, this isn't Juneau!

For what it's worth, I enjoy this site and believe the moderators do a fine job keeping things policed. Thanks, guys.

Merry Christmas

Default A perceived problem, is a problem.

Perhaps you should take down Strahan's "parting shot". Whether it was intentional or not, it definately gives the impression that is what was done. How you (moderators collectively) are preceived IS a problem.
    Sure looks like a duck.

Default good question....

Quote Originally Posted by cold zero View Post
    Does that mean that mods only use mod controls on their assigned board only or have they and do they use them on boards that they are not assigned as mods???
    CZ, I believe all mods can regulate certain forums. (General discussion, Swap N Sell) This helps regulate spam and things that get out of hand fast. The General Discussion exchanges of the recent past were pretty wild. If some haven't visited that forum, try and do so. Its a great place to hash out issues of the day and any other general topic. Great fun.
    Otherwise, as Brian said, we all have different areas to moderate. I do hunting and muzzleloading. Regarding muszzleloading, BRWNBR and company are pretty kind over there.
    The hunting forum as we know can get a bit testy, but thats the nature of the beast, especially in a state where passions for big game run high and it's big business.

Other mods have there areas too. I believe Snyd watches over the survival forum...etc.

Milo, 'tis done. We removed Mike's post in the spirit of fairness.

Frank

----------------------------------------------------------
    Wonderful, Counsellor, ...the Prince of Peace....

I will say I'm rather disappointed in the closing of both threads. It would appear that as the thread wore on, it became quite apparent that it was more abouit guide vs joe public hunter. That is the real issue, and closing the thread showed who has more pull here.

The fact that the thread went on as long as it did, counters the arguement for shutting it down in mho.

We have some real problems out there with "some hunters" and "some guides" that need to be addressed.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by cold zero View Post
    We only use the moderation tools on other boards when it is an obvious spam things. A few mornings ago I noticed a link to a site selling iPods and Playstations on the Fishing forum. There was no reason to leave that for the moderator of that forum - zap, it's gone. However, when I notice threads or comments that might fall outside the bounds of the forum rules, I don't touch those in other forums (with the exception of the Swap-n-Sell and the General Discussion, which we've all been lending a hand on).

-Brian

The thread was drawing alot of debate and should not have been shut down. Lurkers don't have to read.

I just started another thread with enough points to debate that I hope it draws some posts discussing some different views.
    And I hope it don't get shut down prematurely.

Let Freedom Ring as long as minimal rules of civility are being used. If not, then edit or delete the post.

Arrow Moderators

I support the moderators' decision to lock the thread. Sometimes when there is more smoke than heat or light, it's best to just stop and restart somewhere else. In this case, a restart has already happened.

As Mr. Pid pointed out, being a moderator is a tough job. You get tomatoes if you do and tomatoes if you don't. There is no way I could do all this myself, not with hundreds of posts every day, so I really appreciate the guys who have agreed to be part of the moderator team.

Forum behavior is governed by the rules in the Forum FAQ. If you don't think we are operating by the rules, tell us. If you don't like the rules, tell me.

David

Default I started and ask to end

Just to let some know i started the threads and requested it be shut down on one for it was posted as info and did not foresee where it was going to go.looks like maybe a forum for guides/transporters should be established.

Question value of contributions

what value to on going threads do lurkers contribute? they read, they do not contribute anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast