Thread: Spring bear

Default Spring bear

I'm thinking about a spring black bear hunt in the southeast, probably out of Petersburg. If we (3-5 brothers and sons) rent a couple of 18 - 22 ft boats where can we actually expect to hunt?
    Just around Kupreanof and the mainland. We couldn't make it to Kuiu could we? Seems someone talked about hunting Kupreanof, but I couldn't find it searching

I guess fuel usage will vary boat to boat, that will be obstacle. We could have someone drop us off with a skiff and gear. We could just go back as needed.

I'm kinda spit balling, thinking out loud. We hunted off larger boats rented out of Juneau before and really liked it. Expensive.

I've land near Petersburg is why I picked there. Anyhow, what do ya think.

Will

Default Which boat

Your boat and gear need to be carefully evaluated for weight and capacity. If you've got a vessel with good fuel/weight capacity and travel in a weight conscious manner you can travel quite far. Don't be on a strict schedule. Where do you plan on staying? A beach works just fine but you'll likely be making and breaking camp a few times. Kuprenof is right across from Peterburg. It's the next huge island with Kake on it. There are a few Forest Service cabins for use.

I don't know where you'll hunt. Thats part of the adventure. The weather in May can be very good.

It would be fun for you to go around the S. side of Kup. and try and access Rocky Pass.

If your renting a boat you many be limited on the distance your allowed to travel. Kind of like renting a truck in Anchorage and trying to run it up the Haul road.

You could also explore the mainland some. I'm assuming your very experienced with watercraft in the near coastal environment and inland passage. You've got property there you said so hopefully you've done some boating in that area.

pssssst.. we cant use specific spot names outside of PM.....

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default comparison

Saying Rocky Pass is like saying he should be hunting off Icy Strait. There is alot of shorline, bays, and coves to explore in that area. In fact just the southern stretch of Kup. is huge country. It's all beautiful country to be boating around in.

I know your just bustin my chops.

Default Thanks Bighorse

We will rent a boat in Petersgurg, and really thats what I was looking for was my limitations
    on a 22 ft +- boat. I wouldn't mind fueling regularly, just not everyday.

We don't know where we will hunt, just where ever it takes us. The lot is down by Keene Island, so we'll start there. We expected to move as needed.

I've emailed Doyles about boats, I'm sure they will respond soon. Does anyone in Kake rent Boats?

And in my own defense, nobody said I couldn't take that rental truck up the haul road, until we got back!

Again thanks,

Will

Default calculations

Well if you want a strait answer to your question your gonna need the average running speed of the vessel, the gallons per hour and a float plan. Then you'll need to sit down and calculate the anticipated distances of your trip. One you know that you need to figure out the fuel capacity of the vessel and see if your float plan will work. The trouble I'm seeing is a 22ft. Hewescraft with extra fuel, 3 guys and gear, raft and bears is really full for long distance travel with good fuel efficiency.

I can't emphasize enough the importance of good planning for any beach landings in this country. Especially over there.....the tides can be huge.

It sounds like a good trip. Remember also that in May the fishing is getting good for kings.