Thread: Bead colors for AK

Default Bead colors for AK

I've been tying heavily for an AK trip next summer. I've decided not to focus on glo bugs and chenille patterns and just buy a bunch of beads...

I went to troutbeads.com and, of course, there are too many options of colors in my judgement....Without getting crazy and having 20 different colors and sizes, can someone who feels authoritative enough suggest basic colors sizes I may need? I'm going to be fishing a river with almost no Reds, mainly Kings, Chums, Pinks(silvers coming as we're leaving-early August). Right now, I'm thinking 2 colors each of orange,peach, and paleish pink...6mm and 8mm? solid or mottled? does it matter?
    Thanks in advance, Tim

It matters. Personally, I think that it matters more in color than in size although there are times when size is every bit as critical. 8mm is the "standard" for me for bows & dollies and with kings in the system that you will be going to I would then go with 10mm.

As far as color man o man were to start. Trying to stay with a handful of store bought colors that have produced for me are Cheese, orange, & pink swirl in 8 & 10mm, orange pearl in both sizes, and Carmel roe in 8mm. Tangerine in 8 & 10mm is a good one if you are thinking about painting some of your own up. Anyway, I'm sure others will have some of their go to colors to add into the mix.

My buddy has gotten beads from TroutBeads.com and they are nice, but I would select my beads from here:

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...-products.html

I got mine pretty quickly and love the selection...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Without knowing where you'll be fishing, it's hard to say; Western or SE? You will be middle to end of the King and Chum run most likely, so 8-10mm molted to dirty/dead eggs would be in my box. Still early for Silvers, so something average size (6-8) and more of a just dropped to peachy color. I don't always follow the conventional wisdom and have had very good days fishing beads that made no sense in life cycle timing. Beads are cheap! Load up and experiment!

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    Without knowing where you'll be fishing, it's hard to say; Western or SE? You will be middle to end of the King and Chum run most likely, so 8-10mm molted to dirty/dead eggs would be in my box. Still early for Silvers, so something average size (6-8) and more of a just dropped to peachy color. I don't always follow the conventional wisdom and have had very good days fishing beads that made no sense in life cycle timing. Beads are cheap! Load up and experiment!

No lie there. I have caught fish on some unexpected beads. With them costing about 10 cents a piece go nuts. Im guessing I have 350+ In my box. all sizes and colors and even some wierd shapes. Caught some big bows on what I call my UFO bead, Heated a 10mm bead up and just squished it. Looks like a little flying saucer and kind of a peachy pink color. It came off a necklace i bought at value village. My buddy got a 32 incher on it as a matter a fact.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Recommend that you stop at one of the handful of shops that carry the beads in the Anchorage, Wasilla, or Cooper Landing area. They have a wide selection and can point out some good sizes and colors. Might be a bit cheaper online, but might end up with more than you need and not enough of those that you do need.

Default Thx

Thanks for the info, guys

Try purple

I'll let you decide whether I'm joking or not through experimentation
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

purple beads,
    i have fished it and caught fish, but does not make sense to me. why would the fish like purple. does not look like anything i have seen in the water. weird

Quote Originally Posted by matt26 View Post
    purple beads,
    i have fished it and caught fish, but does not make sense to me. why would the fish like purple. does not look like anything i have seen in the water. weird

As much as I hate to agree with monkey but matt does have a a point. I have used a purple bead on the upper kenai and it does work. Also a dark brown looking bead we have called rootbeer,. Like we say, there are those beads that work all the time and those days the wierd **** does. Carry them all
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by tlock View Post
    I've been tying heavily for an AK trip next summer. I've decided not to focus on glo bugs and chenille patterns and just buy a bunch of beads...

I went to troutbeads.com and, of course, there are too many options of colors in my judgement....Without getting crazy and having 20 different colors and sizes, can someone who feels authoritative enough suggest basic colors sizes I may need? I'm going to be fishing a river with almost no Reds, mainly Kings, Chums, Pinks(silvers coming as we're leaving-early August). Right now, I'm thinking 2 colors each of orange,peach, and paleish pink...6mm and 8mm? solid or mottled? does it matter?
    Thanks in advance, Tim
    I can't think of a dumber plan. Chenille (and other material) globugs work as good and better (for me) than those stupid beads. I have had real good luck in some places with 4-6 mm colored glass beads tied on a hook and covered with pink or light orange glue.

Size does matter, but it seems to depend on the river. I usually go 8 or 10 mm (with globugs - or - the few times I use beads); sometimes, oversize globugs (12 mm) attract grayling. I have found 6 mm too small.

Color does matter; but the generally most effective are a pale orange and pale pink. Sometimes white and bright red work. I have never caught a lick of anything on other colors (green, "clown" eggs, etc.