Thread: Relocating Lab to AK?

Default Relocating Lab to AK?

I am wondering from you all with more knowledge than myself if i will run into any problems with bringing a pup back to Alaska with me this spring. a few people have suggested i wait to get a pup up in AK because it would be bred for the colder weather? the pup will come from Indiana which gets pretty chilly there. i just dont want to bring a pup up and it not be able to handle the weather? i know the blood/hunting lines this pup is from and have had a couple dogs from this breeder. thanks in advance!!!

Default Get the pup!

Your lab will acclimate just as you have and a gazillion other men, women, dogs, horses and ziparumpazoos!

Jim

Default Hmm

Different lines of labs may come with different coat thickness. Some labs may be thinner haired, or not have as much under fur. Having done labs since 1978 I've never heard of anybody breeding labs for cold WX.
    Double check the breeding for all aspects of conformity and solid genetics. Regardless that the breeder is a "swell guy", you want a dog that will grow up to be healthy. Dogs with allergies, joint problems, eye problems, ad nauseum live a life of pain and discomfort. There are good labs in America still. Be picky. Choose wisely. Why spend the next 12 to 16 years supporting a Veterinarian simply because you did something convenient vs. smart.
    I suggest using a reputable breeder. I would choose from an older breeding pair of dogs (some issues do not show up until later in life) and taking a pup from a repeat breeding makes a lot of sense.
    Lastly, if you want to know who has good labs, do not ask a lab breeder. Ask a Chessie or Golden owner. They will have less to lose steering you in the right direction. If you ask a used car salesman who has the best deals, he'll turn around, point out his collection of fine vehicles, and pat himself on the back. Breeders are no different.

ziparumpazoos

Now there's a fine animal.

Bringing your dog up here won't be a problem. Especially since you are coming up in Spring. That will give your dog all summer and can grow a coat before winter comes. A lot of us purchase dogs from outside.

I have shipped in several pups without problems. Certainly a lot more choices buying outside Alaska. Worry more about the soundness of the breeding as previously suggested. Enjoy the search.

I purchased my first lab in northern California from a breeder with a well earned reputation for solid "field" style labs. After living a few years in nothern California and Texas she now has the thickest coat I've seen on her in the couple of years we've lived in Anchorage. She hunts for the couple of short months we have for ducks and then spends the winter running along with me while I cross-country ski. The cold doesn't seem to effect her until it goes below 0F, then she'll develop ice balls between her pads if she's not wearing booties.

We just added another pup from the same breeder. She doesn't have a thick coat yet, but I'm sure she will by next winter. I think both of my dogs love fresh snow even more than my kids! Your dog will adjust.

Default Wetland Retrievers...

So I'm not alone, you've seen ziparumpazoos, too? I feel better now.

Jim

Default Thanks!

I appreciate all the input! looks like ill be in search of a chocolate pup while im down in IN for a bit. ill be sure to get some pics up when i find him! haha. thanks again!

You shouldn't have any issues. I moved our mutt up from California - she's not a lab, but has the same fur length and body size. She just naturally grew a denser coat and has no trouble outside in winter. In fact, sometimes it's hard to get her to come inside. I second the suggestion for booties if your lab is going to spend much time outdoors in the winter though.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Brought both my labs from Michigan and they've done fine.
    Paul