Thread: Price of Lures

Default Price of Lures

I know, I know, a guy comes on the fish forum and first question he asks, like all the other guys before him, is:
    Why in the heck are lures so darned expensive?
    I went to buy some daredevils for my buddies daughters. Just standard Minto Pike fare. Nothing special. 8 smackers each! GULP! What in the world? Even the cheapo Chinese w/ the lead paint warnings were costly.
    I know ammo is expensive. I kind of see that. But what is the deal with lures? Or am I just dumb as a snagged treble on a rotten log?
    Now the next question. You guys are so psychic:
    Where is the best place to buy/order/steal spoons, spinners, and other similar fish fare? Any special fish houses that are generally less expensive than an endodontist (sp) giving a root canal?
    I have become my father, in spite of my best efforts. You see, I remember when................
    ARR

Reason #1 I became a fly fisherman!

Tying a fly for $.08 was way way cheaper than buying a spinner for $3 when I was 11
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I was waiting for the day for someone to ask this!

Im not even joking.

1.25 inch to 3.5 inch daredevils immitatons for as low as $0.50 each.
    The 3.5 are $0.77 each.

Minimum order of $100

http://www.wholesalecentral.com/maul...og&catid=18635

They have kastmaster imitations as well and tons of other spoons.

FINALLY SOMEONE ASKED!! HAPPy NEw YEAR TO ME!

and to you as well since you're about to pay less than 10% of what you're used to!

forgot to mention this though: I have not ordered from there yet. Ive had this site saved for while but have not tried them so am unsure of how good they are with C/S.

is that a disclaimer?

I usually get my lures off of e-bay. Just factor in shipping, and so long as the lot is a decent size, you can get lures for way less then retail.

I looked at the site SB showed us. Seems to be too Chinese cheap. A few name products, and for just to have something for the kids to throw at the water may be ok. I'll have to think on that one.
    I also looked at e-bay. Only found small lots today, but still with shipping the prices were less than at the store.
    Wish it were garage sale season. I'd be looking there for sure.
    I'm about ready to pull my dad's 50 year old lures out of his old steel tackle box and open up some of those boxes. Wonder what jewels I can find in there? Stuff from the great lakes, IL area and things he bought when he came to Alaska eons ago.

I usually prowl ebay as well, but will admit you need some time to sort through it all and keep an eye open for good deals. I try to find lots of used lures or old estate items... the fish don't know the difference.

I also keep an eye on cabelas and bass pro for sales and clearance items. I also shop FishUSA from time to time. Decent prices, and flat shipping, so it's usually worth it if I order several items.
    http://www.fishusa.com/LuresJigsBait-Spoons_c.html
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    I looked at the site SB showed us. Seems to be too Chinese cheap. A few name products, and for just to have something for the kids to throw at the water may be ok. I'll have to think on that one.
    I also looked at e-bay. Only found small lots today, but still with shipping the prices were less than at the store.
    Wish it were garage sale season. I'd be looking there for sure.
    I'm about ready to pull my dad's 50 year old lures out of his old steel tackle box and open up some of those boxes. Wonder what jewels I can find in there? Stuff from the great lakes, IL area and things he bought when he came to Alaska eons ago.
    Hi River Rat, I know the packaging that the lures come in are from FJ Neil Co. out of long island NY.
    Assuming its not fake packaging, I used to buy a lot of their knock-offs when I lived there. I would buy the Kastmaster imitations whenever I would see them in Walmart or any other tackle shop. It was pretty common to see their 'snapper zappers' on display in well respected tackle shops.
    I know for sure Im gonna place an order for the 3oz Kastmasters and other spoons including the daredevils so I'll let you know how they are.

Default Very Cool SB

Here all the water around us is hard and covered with white and I am looking at lures. It gives me a little hope for spring.
    I'll just keep my eyes open at some of the places you guys have mentioned and see if I can get lucky.
    Maybe I should have hung on to all the Wiggle Warts I've picked up over the years instead of giving them away to kids....... Naw, kids need lures more than I do. Nothing like pullling up to shore in a boat, getting out, and handing some little boy or girl a lure. There eyes sure get big.
    But they aren't getting any DD or spinners by golly!