Thread: Depth trout are at??

Default Depth trout are at??

Hi Everyone... Just starting to get back into ice fishing here in south central and was wondering what everyone thought about what depth that trout actually swim at. I have heard a couple of things..... First i heard fish about a foot off the bottom (no matter what depth your fishing at) then i have also heard that sometime fish swim just under the ice. Where do you think is the best place to fish?? I dont have a fish finder or camera, just wanting some ideas that might help my catch rate. Thanks Everyone

I usually go with the "foot off the bottom" thought process... especially if there's vegetation on the lake bottom. But it's also rare that I fish in more than 10 to 12 feet of water, and I don't really think of fish being suspended in the shallower water.

That said, trout will definitely cruise off the bottom in deeper water. And I've certainly seen fish caught right below the ice. The best advice I can think to offer... start at the bottom and work up. If your not connecting with fish near the bottom, start working your way up through the water column. If I'm fishing deeper water for lakers or char, I'll start deep, jig for a minute or two, reel up 5 or so feet, jig for a minute or two, reel up a little more, so on.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Right on the bottom in about 8' or so.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

where the water is the warmest, which is usually near the bottom
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

i fish in 8-15ft of water thats has been the most productive for me so far this season
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    where the water is the warmest, which is usually near the bottom

Now there is a Brain doctor for ya. I like to fish right below the ice. Heck why cut the hole at all. Just drag your shirmp accross the ice. when the trouts ram thier heads into the ice trying to get it, Just man up and punch your fist through the ice and grab them before them come too. It is the only way to ice fish.

Now I dont do a ton of ice fishing. I like to let my bait hit bottom, (this is local lakes in the anchorage area) I give it a couple of turns on the reel to get it off the bottom, maybe 6 to 8 inches, I fish that for a bit. If no bites. A few more cranks. Working it up untill I think I am way to shallow. Rebait and repeat. I have caught some decent fish over the last few years and lots of stockers too. I always mananage to get a few fish and it makes for a fun day
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

......try putting it right on the bottom, and twitch it. Make it wobble, and every so often, do a few tall jigs to make it visible to the fish that maybe swimming too far away to see it, otherwise. Then, lay it back on the bottom and twitch again....seems to work the most consistent for me. If i wanna target fish on top, i fish a second rod and do pretty much the same thing as alaska chuck.

Fish eyes are on the top of their head. They look up for a living. I start right below the ice and jig down to them. I don't spend alot of time getting to the bottom, but I give them a chance to look up for a meal.

If you are getting all smaller fish. They seem to be above the larger ones. You may need to shoot it past their depth and then jig for a bigger one. Smaller fish work harder for a meal. They shoot faster to the bait. They get caught and even if the large fish are trying for your bait, the smaller one gets hooked and caught. Big fish did not get big working for a living. Just my observations.