Thread: picture software ..help!!!!

Post picture software ..help!!!!

i have CANNONS 5.8 zoombrozerEX ,what i'd like to do is send it into the sky with a real cannon!..it don't let me size the pic's down .. not to email but to post..i can trim/crop but thats not what i want ..i would just like to make smaller so i can post it (keeping the pic the same)..and no a can't download a thing on this sorry dail up at 26.2 speed....whats a good easy program i can get ...drag/move a pic from zoom b ex .. and fix it up thanks!
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default Platform?

If you're using Windows, you may like Google's Picasa, it's free and does good basic photo editing.
    Of course you should have Windows Photo Gallery installed with your OS, or some variation.

Mac OS?
    Graphic Converter is a great shareware program that can deal with just about any image known to man.
    iPhoto comes free with most macs, and will allow for simple photo editing, e-mailing and the like.

Photoshop Elements is a nice photo editor, costs about $100 that will allow pretty detailed editing... versions available for both operating systems.

The thing about software; if they don't offer a free (aka trial version), you might want to try something else. It's much like a car, some people love Fords, others hate. Some love Chevy's, others don't - etc. Gotta find what you like!

Hope that helps!

Good luck!

Picasa, IrfanView and XnView are fairly small programs so downloading at dial up speeds would take a while, but should be doable. Otherwise I think Stogey is right; Photoshop Elements is what I would look for. It will do everything you want and then some, and you can often find it on sale for about $60.

I have Photoshop Elements 6.0 and the book by Scott Kelby, "Photoshop Elements 6.0 for Digital Photographers". This software and book is all you would need for sure. This book is idiot proof and makes it very easy to use the software. The new version (7 I think) can be bought on Amazon with the book pretty affordably. Seems if you go to Amazon and find the book, the software is listed along with it as an option. Under $100 I am sure. Incredible software and capable of doing much more than most of us need.

Found it $116 for book and the software...

http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Elem...380230&sr=8-11
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default What OS?

Under older versions of Windows with MS Office installed, you will have either MS Photo Editor or MS Office Picture Manager as part of the software bundle. You may need to dig around in your Start menu to find them. They both allow resizing and compressing.

I've never really played with Cannon's software as I have much better stuff to use (PaintShop Pro), but if it has the ability to crop, then it probably also has the ability to resize and/or compress. You may just need to dig around in the menus to figure out where/how to do it.

The majority of your issue can be solved by simply resizing the pics. The big-MP cameras give you images that are thousands of pixels across. For internet use, you don't need any dimension on an image to be larger than about 600 pixels. Simply resizing from some 3000 down to 600 on the largest dimension will cut the data size of your image enough to post them without any further compression. But if you have the ability to set your jpg compression level, you can usually go to 20% without losing noticable image quality. The built-in photo editing software with MS Office will do all of this stuff for you, if you can find it.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

You can find Photoshop Elements 8.0 for about $50 if you look around. It is considered Entry level, but has a lot of whistles and bells, yet pretty easy to use. Picasa is very basic, but works fine, and it is free. The wife loves her Print Shop, but it is giving her fits with the new Windows 7.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

ACDsee is the number 1 image editor !!

download a trial version !!

It has much more power than Adobe Elements !!

I use shrink-pic, it is tiny program and you just set it and forget it. It automatically resizes your pics when you upload them. It puts an icon in your system tray (lower right corner of screen in windows). To adjust the settings just click the icon and change how large the pics are or turn it off altogether.

Default thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by angelsflywithme View Post
    Microsoft power toys for Windows Xp has a great, fast and simple download called a Image resizer. Small dial up download. Great tool. Google Microsoft power toys for xp.. Image resizer
    works great!!!
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Quote Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
    Photoshop Elements is a nice photo editor, costs about $100 that will allow pretty detailed editing... versions available for both operating systems.
    Quoted again for TRUTH. Elements is a Great program. LOTSA downloadable add-ons as well. I combine it with Proshow to create some pretty nice DVD's.

I rarely print anything anymore...but instead put everything to DVD to watch on the big screen.