Thread: Expen$ive?

Default Expen$ive?

Just curious... how many of you are fortunate enough to live relatively close to your baiting area?

My partner and I decided to keep receipts for our bait season in 2009.
    Not the smartest thing to do.
    We logged expenses for anything related to the pursuit of a bear.
    Fuel, bait, drinks, human food, etc.
    In other words, if we bought a sandwich at Carrs on the way to the station, it was logged.
    Came up with a final expense account worth about $750 (fuel accounted for about $400), and an odometer reading of around 2300 miles.

These costs didn't include tree stands, trail cams, bow, gun, etc. Just costs that we shelled out for the 2009 season to support the baiting habit.

Of course what the "numbers" do not reveal are the hours in a tree stand, just enjoying the peace and quiet.
    Our general rule for a trip to the stand - "spend at least as much time in the tree as you spent in the car on a round trip excursion."
    For 2300 miles, at an average speed of 50mph: equates to around 46 hours in a tree, near a tree, etc.

TrailCam Pictures:
    http://s380.photobucket.com/albums/o...ucket/09Bears/

The sad part of the story, the one that almost brings a tear. We did not see a single black bear from our bait station in 2009 (they were there, not when we were).

Bad idea to ever tally up the cost of this stuff (especially if the wife finds the receipts). Luckily with my last couple of years i've been relatively close to my stations. One year though we baited up above Glennallen from Anchorage and o'boy do I hate that drive now. With as much attention as a good station needs, I say keep it close if at all possible.

Default Records

Yes, I agree, keeping hunting receipts is akin to Al Capone keeping financial records just prior to his income tax evasion charges.
    The primary advantage; it might help us justify the expense of alternative hunts - maybe there's a PWS hunt we can do, or a fly in, or something.

Granted the expenses run the course of 30 days, whereas a single hunt may only last about a week.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Baiting as a rule...

well i am VERY fortunate...

when she is not on vacation.. i wake up next to the bear every morning.. and i am often accused of baiting her
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Stogey,
    I commend your efforts of "hanging in there" with all those hours of drive time and hunting. Can I ask what time of day you and your buddy were in your stands?
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Exclamation omg

Quote Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
    Came up with a final expense account worth about $750 (fuel accounted for about $400), and an odometer reading of around 2300 miles.

These costs didn't include tree stands, trail cams, bow, gun, etc. Just costs that we shelled out for the 2009 season to support the baiting habit
    You must be single.... or if you weren't before, you will be shortly after she reads that!

That comes out to about $25/Day, not bad. That's cheaper than going to Alyeska or going snowmachining for a day. Plus, if you split the cost on gas with a bud or two that would help. It sure beats staying in town and doing who knows what...work around the house...

Default Times

Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    ... Can I ask what time of day you and your buddy were in your stands?
    You can!

The bait site has had the following results over the past five years:
    Window %
    0500-0800 12%
    0900-1100 13%
    1200-1500 16%
    1600-1900 25%
    2000-0000 26%
    Monday-Friday we tend to arrive around 1800 (6pm). And leave around 2200 (10pm).
    Weekends allow for greater flexibility, and we just try to hit the thing whenever (awake, based upon previous 'hits', etc.)

See ya!

Default :-)

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    You must be single.... or if you weren't before, you will be shortly after she reads that!
    I must say she is very understanding about my hunting habits.

But, just in case, I have not told her about this web site. ;-)

Default How true...

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man Jack View Post
    That comes out to about $25/Day, not bad. That's cheaper than going to Alyeska or going snowmachining for a day. Plus, if you split the cost on gas with a bud or two that would help. It sure beats staying in town and doing who knows what...work around the house...
    Yes, on all points!
    The cost was split with my hunting partner. And we tend to enjoy the bear season greatly; usually because it's entertaining... have you ever watched a young bear eat marshmallows? That's good stuff.

See ya!

up until 2 years ago I have been baiting out of Tok. we averaged around $350/person.

that drive did get old coming from anchorage but since they have been working on the cut-off recently it made it tolerable.

Last spring a bud and I tried looking for bear out of skwentna. to much ash made that into a camping trip. that week trip cost about $100.

Not sure what I'm gonna do this spring.

Some of your cost should not be included or not included 100%. Food, you have to eat so you cannot charge that against yourself. Equipment; if you are going to hunt in the future you must try and figure out how many years that you will get out of each piece of equipment and use that to determine your annual cost to hunt.
    Bait and gas are all consumables and must be charged against the hunt though.

Yes I am an accountant and this is how I work it with my wife.

Default Bear Bait

Good stuff. Lots of nice photos.
    Did you try both of you in the stand and only one leaves, and makes lots of noise while leaving, and the other awaits the bears arrival?

Do you use a "burn can" while at the stand? "Burn Can" = A #10 can with a couple pounds of butter flavored crisco mixed with 1/2 pound of powdered sugar. Push a few twigs into the mix and light the twigs. They will act like a wick and burn for 6 - 8 hours putting out a smell like a doughnut factory. It is irresistable to them!

Don't give up! Looks like you have a good location and setup. Hope you are high enough if a griz comes in while you are there. I like 12 feet as a minimum floor height!

Default spot

Looks like you have a very good spot just have to figure out when to be in the stand

Default Amortize

Quote Originally Posted by akflyfisher View Post
    ... Food, you have to eat so you cannot charge that against yourself.
    Equipment; ...
    Bait and gas are all consumables and must be charged against the hunt though...
    The only time food was calculated was when we bought it out. If we had time (or were smart enough to 'plan' ahead) and brought food from home, it was not budgeted. The idea - we would not have grabbed McDonalds if we weren't going to the bait station.

I agree, the gear should be amortized; however, that scares me. Not the formula - the final product. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Default I know...

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Looks like you have a very good spot just have to figure out when to be in the stand
    I know exactly when to be in the stand. Anytime I'm not. ;-)

We tracked their movements via the trail cam, and have pretty decent grasp on our 'windows' of opportunity. I honestly believe that last year was a no-see um season because of the early brown bear infestation.
    The brownie hit the stand first, and was nice enough to leave a few 'apples' around the site. I don't claim to be a bear expert, but I would think that this is a deterrence to the black bears.
    And the brown varieties were fairly frequent to hit the stand.

Dunno -- I have thoughts, but nothing scientific.

Default Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by AKbarehunter View Post
    Good stuff. Lots of nice photos.
    Do you use a "burn can" while at the stand? "Burn Can" = A #10 can with a couple pounds of butter flavored crisco mixed with 1/2 pound of powdered sugar. Push a few twigs into the mix and light the twigs. They will act like a wick and burn for 6 - 8 hours putting out a smell like a doughnut factory. It is irresistable to them!
    I read about this burn can just the other day. Interesting idea, makes lots of sense.

Thanks!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

speaking of burns... am i the only one that does not see anything in a honey burn... except extreme fire hazard if it boils over?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here