Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 40mile Caribou info?...Rumors?

Default 40mile Caribou info?...Rumors?

Though the regs for the August 40 mile bou hunt aren't out yet, and considering what happened last year with the un-forcasted maylay, does anyone anticipate or have any insider information on what, if anything might be changed with the hunt this year?

That will be decided upon at the spring Board of Game meetings. Vince posted a thread about the proposals in the management forum, or you can find the proposals at the ADF&G website. Though speculation has begun, what the board will do is notoriously hard to predict.

Default nice

Hopefully they're open to the public, I'll check Vince's post. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by EBobo View Post
    Hopefully they're open to the public, I'll check Vince's post. Thanks!
    Yep, they will be. Members of the public are encouraged to submit written comments on the proposals and/or to testify in public. I attended my first meetings last year, and it was certainly an enlightening experience. If you can make it to the meetings, I would highly encourage you to go and testify. If not, submitting written comments is the next best thing.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yep, they will be. Members of the public are encouraged to submit written comments on the proposals and/or to testify in public. I attended my first meetings last year, and it was certainly an enlightening experience. If you can make it to the meetings, I would highly encourage you to go and testify. If not, submitting written comments is the next best thing.
    Attend your AC meetings also.. the input provided by the public is essential to this process

here is the lastest announcment just in!!!

Draft Meeting Agenda
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:00 pm
    Tok Clinic Conference Room, Tok, AK

• Call to Order
    • Establish Quorum
    • Approval of agenda
    • Introduction of Guests
    • Old Business
      • Any-
    • New Business
      • Elections
      • Approval of minutes from December 1, 2009 meeting
      • Review of letter submitted by Anchorage Fish & Game Advisory Committee
      • Approval of statement for submission to Boards Division concerning proposed change to the BOG cycle
      • Review of Statewide proposals- please remember to bring your books
      • Comment on Federal Proposals- Please remember to bring the papers I sent you several weeks ago containing the proposals
      • Comment on Holitna-Hoholitna House Bill #227
      • Nominate member to attend Statewide meeting (?)
      • Set next meeting time
    • Adjourn

================================================== ====
    Deadlines and Dates:
    Statewide BOG comments due by January 15, 2010 ( online available first week of
    December, to be mailed out a couple of weeks later)
    Statewide Meeting in Anchorage January 29-Febuary 1, 2010

BOF Arctic Yukon Kuskokwim (AYK Finfish) Meeting in Fairbanks on January 26-31 2010

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default a bit more info

Here is a link to the Spring 2010 Board of Game meeting proposal book:
    http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/g...terior2010.pdf

The proposals seeking to modify/change the Fortymile hunt season, bag limits, and regulations are #s 13, 14, 19, 20, 21, and 24. (there could be others, that is just what I have jotted down so far)

The Fortymile Caribou Herd Working Group, comprised of five interior Advisory Committees, submitted a proposal (#14) to change the start date of the hunt in Zones 1 & 3 (Steese and Taylor Highway areas) to August 29th and go to bull-only hunt. Would still be registration hunt open to all.

Other proposals ask for motorized access or weapons restrictions, but to keep the same August 10th start date.

Something will likely change. So send in comments or show up and testify at the Fbks spring meeting if this concerns you.

Also, we have talked about this hunt and possible changes to it on the game management forum, so feel free to peek in down there or ask for specifics there for more particulars.

Lightbulb 40 mile changes

I hunted up there last year, my 12 year old put a hurtin on his first bull bou. Great day for him (and for me). I am hoping that they let this year play out with the same rules as last year (I've got a 11 year old that is dreaming about knockin' down his first bou). If they feel the need to change something, couple of ideas may be; put a 1 bou per household limit on the area: make it a youth hunt (yea, I know, kind of self serving since I got 2 young gunslingers, but man, what a feeling when they pull the trigger and realize that they just put food on the table for the family. You can't teach that kind of responsibility from a book or in school, you have to experience it first hand). I don't mind limiting wheeled vehicles, but that's self serving as well, I either take my horse to share the load, or it all goes out and back in on my back. Either way, here's hoping for straight shootin' and full freezers for the New Year for all.

Default There will be changes

There will be changes, so it will not be the same as last year. I would expect that the starting date will surely be delayed until the end of August and I believe you will see it got to BULL only. Those two changes I would bet money on, anything else could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    I would expect that the starting date will surely be delayed until the end of August.
    Is the intent of this to allow time for the animals to migrate further away from highway access points?

Default The intent of the later season...

...is to better ensure the caribou aren't as close to the road(s). Info from area bio is that later in August the caribou are more dispersed and not as likely to bunch up right along or near the Taylor. Not a guarantee mind you, but more likely according to what they've seen.

Should be noted that AWT (Troopers) didn't want a season that would take place at the beginning of many moose seasons. They said they didn't have the manpower to effectively monitor and provide enforcement of this popular caribou hunt if it took place during other moose seasons. So it's a catch-22 in that respect.

The proposal AK BHA put in, Chisana, asks for the Aug 10th start date to stay the same, but to mandate access restrictions (non-motorized only) for the roaded zones for the first five days. Also asks (beginning 2011) to mandate motorized restrictions that would keep riders on specific trails that F&G would designate, and allow everyone to start hunting on Aug 10th under those restrictions. We base this on a couple of things, primarily that we don't want to continue to lose youth hunting opportunities...it seems whenever we have problems the Board votes to start the season later after school begins. And that the troopers don't seem likely to be able to provide the level of monitoring both they and biologist believe is necessary, in a season that would take place during other moose seasons.

I absolutely agree that it shouldn't be delayed until moose season. Very bad idea, IMO. I wouldn't mind access restrictions at all. The biggest 40 mile bull I ever killed was on a walk-in hunt. Never saw another hunter, either.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    I absolutely agree that it shouldn't be delayed until moose season. Very bad idea, IMO. I wouldn't mind access restrictions at all. The biggest 40 mile bull I ever killed was on a walk-in hunt. Never saw another hunter, either.

Agree... I havent shot a caribou here yet that was closer than a mile to the taylor.

Default I forgot to mention...

...that another rationale for the later season was that some (many?) hunters would be off hunting moose in other areas and so the Fortymile caribou hunt wouldn't see the same volume of participation.

Walk-in, Muzzy, et al...no matter what you prefer, please participate, send in comments on the proposals or show up and testify at the BOG meeting!

Default I think Mark

covered the reasons very well! Hopefully things will work out for everyone. People might want to take at look at the AK BHA proposal on the 40 mile. IT was very well written and really takes a great approach at solving many problems. Nice job AK BHA!

Will these rule changes effect the fly in areas. I have reservations and deposits with 40 mile air for Sept 4th. I was told that the season for the fly in area has usually closed in the middle of September, so I should be good. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. Ed F

Ed, it's possible some things could change for non-residents in Zone 2 (the fly-in, boat-in area). Kinda doubt it, but you never know.

Even though Zone 2 doesn't typically shut down early like the roaded zones (your info is correct on that), since the season starts Aug 10th, there is always a (slim) chance it could close by Sept 4th. Again, kinda doubtful but there are no guarantees when you participate in a registration hunt with a certain allotment of animals.

I hope to HECK they change the date to the first of Sept....

The next time I go up there I don't want bullets whizzing by my head, I don't want to watch a group of 20 caribou being herded and shot at 30+ times by 4 people..I don't want to watch stupid idiots getting into arguments about who gets to hunt where. I don't want to watch people 'racing' to get to the animals first....I don't want to see wounded animals walking around, while the 'hunter' claims the animal was 'not' hit....

the 40 mile caribou hunt is a dangerous situation and a BAD example of how a hunt should be managed....

Make an early bow season, make a kids season...limit number of hunters....do SOMETHING... Cause if last year repeats itself...someone is going to get seriously HURT or KILLED by misfired, mis-aimed, or out of control hunters.......

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    ...that another rationale for the later season was that some (many?) hunters would be off hunting moose in other areas and so the Fortymile caribou hunt wouldn't see the same volume of participation.

Walk-in, Muzzy, et al...no matter what you prefer, please participate, send in comments on the proposals or show up and testify at the BOG meeting!

Yep I'll be there for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by tuffboots View Post
    I hope to HECK they change the date to the first of Sept....

The next time I go up there I don't want bullets whizzing by my head, I don't want to watch a group of 20 caribou being herded and shot at 30+ times by 4 people..I don't want to watch stupid idiots getting into arguments about who gets to hunt where. I don't want to watch people 'racing' to get to the animals first....I don't want to see wounded animals walking around, while the 'hunter' claims the animal was 'not' hit....

the 40 mile caribou hunt is a dangerous situation and a BAD example of how a hunt should be managed....

Make an early bow season, make a kids season...limit number of hunters....do SOMETHING... Cause if last year repeats itself...someone is going to get seriously HURT or KILLED by misfired, mis-aimed, or out of control hunters.......

Juli

This last season a guy was actually shot at on accident out chicken ridge, Said he was walking on the ridge in the trees and some guy on a ATV stopped and shot in his direction, so started waving his arms around and the guy just took off.......I can't believe most guys even go out the ridge anymore after seeing the 50+ rigs parked around the trail head.

Default Only 50+

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyhunter17 View Post
    I can't believe most guys even go out the ridge anymore after seeing the 50+ rigs parked around the trail head.

muzzy,

You must of driven by in the early part of hte hunt. We drove by the rigs last yr and ther were no less than 100-150 with 2-4 place trailers behind them. Lucky for us, we never do hunt out the ridge to kill our bou. But I'd love to see it go to non-motorized and bull only with the same opening date. The kids love it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast