Thread: Win Model 63 needs finish restored

Question Win Model 63 needs finish restored

I have a Winchester Model 63 .22 that has been passed down in my family since its purchase in the late 1930's. Unfortunately the receiver had a few minor rust spots which were sanded off that removed the bluing. Any help on an Alaska gunsmith (prefer Anchorage) that could restore this collectible to near original bluing on the receiver? I would like to pass this rifle on to my son in better shape than when I got it. Thanks

Doug Turnbull does the best Winchester restorations, he's in New York. Considering the quality of his work, his prices are reasonable.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Default With respect

Mr. Turnbull does the best restoration work going, but I wonder if the 63, though having a lot of sentimental value I am sure, is worth the cost of a Turnbull restoration. He charges what his work is worth. Personally, I would find a competent smith lovally who can redo the finish similar to the original and who will be careful to maintain roll-stamping and crisp edges. Chances are it would cost less than half of what Turnbull charges and be quite satisfactory. it's too bad that the rust was sanded off, instead of being cleaned up with oil and fine steel wool. That way, keeping it as is would be nice, at least for me, any finish wear being just the history of the firearm.

Not for the first time I'm going to disagree with anyone that calls Turnbull the best, most expensive yes I will agree with that. If you want the exact same finish as original then I only know of one place that does original as factory finishes on WINCHESTER and this is the link.http://www.ronsgunshop.com/ I know a number of places I send my rifles and I would not let Doug's people ever get their hands on any of mine (and I have a lot). Talk to Paul at Ron's gun shop. Paul is Ron's son.

If you have D&T holes filled then Paul is your guy, he knows proper Tig welding. Do not kid yourself with this it is to expensive and easy to get screwed up.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

The old Winchester blue is tuff to do right(almost ball point pen ink blue)

Thanks for your opinions. Mauserboy, you are correct, I may have overstated the collectability of the Model 63, and maybe should have called it vintage with more sentimental value than dollar value. Thus, cost is a consideration in getting the receiver re-blued. I'll checkout Ron's and see if the prices are more within my wallet size. Agree Amigo Will, my other older Winchesters have the dark ink blue coloration that I don't see on others. Any other gunsmith recommendations out there?

Quote Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post
    I have a Winchester Model 63 .22 that has been passed down in my family since its purchase in the late 1930's. Unfortunately the receiver had a few minor rust spots which were sanded off that removed the bluing. Any help on an Alaska gunsmith (prefer Anchorage) that could restore this collectible to near original bluing on the receiver? I would like to pass this rifle on to my son in better shape than when I got it. Thanks

I have a 98% model 63 WINCHESTER in my collection (grooved receiver) if you want to look at the proper factory bluing. For me I do my own bluing and would do the rust bluing on my own. It would take a month worth of work to get it perfect but if I could not get it out to Ron's I would be up for the job. I do have another M-63 that could use a total bluing job, but could use some of Paul's Tig welding first. I really do not know anybody in Alaska I would trust to do the work, wish that was not the case but it is.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

If "winchester" blue is not critical then you could talk to Phil at Glenrock blue in Glenrock, Wy. I've seen his work on numerous occasions and he does excellent work at reasonable rates. Sharp edges, crisp lettering. Has done contract work for Talley and others. www.gunbluing.com
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Bring it on by, we can take a look at it for you and send you in the right direction

By the way, WODR to other posters, the best bluer in the country is Doug Turnbull. Rons is a close second, but still second

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Bring it on by, we can take a look at it for you and send you in the right direction

By the way, WODR to other posters, the best bluer in the country is Doug Turnbull. Rons is a close second, but still second

Normally you don't see this much HS except after a parade.

I've had work done by Turnbull and Glenrock, but it has all been on handguns. Both did a very good job for me. I would look closely at both Turnbull and Ron's for Winchester work. I would also check with Art's. The specialize in Winchester shotguns, but may have some rifle tricks up their sleeves as well. I would not send a pre 64 Winchester to anyone in Alaska.

I would also question the need to restore a gun that it is a family heirloom. You are going to spend serious coin on a first rate restoration and is that really worth it on an heirloom gun? Seems counterproductive to me. If you want a 99% Win 63, just buy one and you will be money ahead.

Chisana: You make some good points on the economics of this. Aside from the two small rust removal spots on the receiver the gun's blueing is in good shape with no rust or worn blueing anywhere on the gun and only a few minor dings on the stock. The stock has darkened over the years but I kind of like it that way. I'm not looking to do a total restore to make this a 98-99% collectible, just a nice looking firearm to pass down the family tree. But the more I learn from you guys the more involved a decision this becomes on price and quality of the work. If I could get the receiver reblued for under $300 I would probably do it, otherwise it will probably stay the way it is.

If you reblue the collector value is gone