Thread: Downriggers for halibut?

Question Downriggers for halibut?

I saw in Cabelas they had dacron 135lb line for downriggers in spools to 400 ft. It got me thinking. I fish for halibut in 150-300 ft of water. Is it feasible to use a 10-13lb downrigger weight with about a 4ft snubber out back with the bait a couple feet away? I use a 24-36oz ball on my line now but using the electric downrigger sure would be easier. When i want to check the bait I can give a good yank to relaese the snubber holding the bait and crank it up. Let the electric pull up that dang weight. Has anyone tried this? Will it work or am I looking for a birdnest and blood pressure to new highs?

Default Sure

Kinda anyway... I have used my down riggers to about 200' is all, but I just let my bait flow in the current. Makes bringing your bait back up very easy especially after fishing all day. Plus I have only done this anchored up. Don't know that I would trust drifting my down rigger weights that far down.

Good luck.
    Tony

Don't get that downrigger ball caught in the rocks....
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I recall hearing about about some electric downriggers that communicate with the sounder and adjust according to the parameters you set. Back trolling for butts...hmmm.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Cannon Digi-troll is what your are talking about. Never used them but I've heard folks that can afford them like'em.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Cannon Digi-troll is what your are talking about. Never used them but I've heard folks that can afford them like'em.
    Those are the ones. It appears that they network with Humming Bird sounders. Here is a link: http://www.cannondownriggers.com/pro...=digitrollivhs
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

i troll for halibut with my downriggers when i am looking for one for dinner, just put one 5-10' over the bottom, a chrome abe & al flasher and a hootchie knocks 'em dead.
    works great off the bluffs down to 100' or so...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    i troll for halibut with my downriggers when i am looking for one for dinner, just put one 5-10' over the bottom, a chrome abe & al flasher and a hootchie knocks 'em dead.
    works great off the bluffs down to 100' or so...
    I agree Dave and have been doing this for a number of years. It is so much better than cranking the giant weight up and ruining the fight. It also means that you can use lighter gear and there is almost no belly in the line when the tide is flowing. While I like fishing for halibut this way A LOT, it really only works to 150 feet down or so. In the deep holes old school works better. But, if the halibut are shallow enough, there is nothing like letting the electric downrigger pull the weight up as it gets old cranking that thing in after a while. As others have noted, don't get your balls stuck.....whatever that means

Tim

I tried doing this on the hook and had problems getting tangeled around the rigger line. A spreader bar would have fixed that problem if you could find one heavy enough to handle the cannon ball. Had some clients whine enough about reeling up for bait checks I had to try something lol. Dont get me wrong they were a hoot. It's definatly an idea I'd like to tinker with more...unfortunatly my days as a salt skipper are over for now.

Trolling over sand does work...works well for lakers too cough cough... Choke a halibut herring and drag it with or without the flasher.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Those are the ones. It appears that they network with Humming Bird sounders. Here is a link: http://www.cannondownriggers.com/pro...=digitrollivhs

They are VERY nice units but awefully heavy and to be honest I don`t use any of the features except auto up and down to programmed depth.

The last boat they were mounted on only cost 20% of the retail of the downriggers.