Thread: Looking for stock reccomendation

Default Looking for stock reccomendation

I'm looking to get a new stock for my Ruger M77, long action, tang safety model in 7MM Rem Mag. I was going to sell it but decided to just give it a face lift.

So far all I can find for this model is the Bell & Carlson carbelite on Stockys Stocks. Any other suggestions? I haven't really looked for stocks before. Thanks!
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    I'm looking to get a new stock for my Ruger M77, long action, tang safety model in 7MM Rem Mag. I was going to sell it but decided to just give it a face lift.

So far all I can find for this model is the Bell & Carlson carbelite on Stockys Stocks. Any other suggestions? I haven't really looked for stocks before. Thanks!
    I have a M77 300 WM in a McMillan stock. McMillan is a bit pricey and they have a several month waiting list, but they are first rate stocks.

http://mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks...ranch2e#rruger

There are other stock making companies that will inlet for the M77. MPI is near the top of the list IMO.

http://www.mpistocks.com/index.htm

I would not recommend a Carbelite as a replacement, YMMV.

e-gunparts.com recently got in a variety of what appears to be newly manufactured (by Ruger) stocks for the old tang safety guns. As of about a month ago ago they had all action lengths and models in stock, including UL and RSI stocks. All wood of course, but they did have some laminated versions.

I snagged a ultralight stock for my old tang safety 30-06 and it fits perfectly and smells like fresh walnut. Obviously a factory ruger stock and not a aftermarket.

Follow the link and scroll to the bottom.

http://e-gunparts.com/products_new.asp?CatID=10801

Yk

Bansner's makes one of the best stocks for the tang safety M77, in my opinion of course. They aren't drop in, but they are tough as nails, attractively shaped and light weight. They are also quite a bit cheaper than McMillian without the long wait.

I think I'm going to order a McMillan stock for it. Am I crazy to think that a person of average intellect and mechanical skills can pull off the swap out with the correct tools and research?
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default m77 stock

Buddy of mine has a factory wood stock that appeared to be in good shape for sale. Don't think he would charge an arm and a leg for it if you want me to inquire.

I think I'm going to order a McMillan stock for it. Am I crazy to think that a person of average intellect and mechanical skills can pull off the swap out with the correct tools and research?
    Piece of cake

Probably not crazy, but I went ahead and had McMillan bed my rifles tot heir stocks... I'm not that great a shot, and need all the help I can get!

hap

You are not crazy at all to think that, but judging by the handle, who is the person of average intellect you are going to find to do it for you?

PM in a second.
    art

hap

As an opinion... I do not use synthetic stocks of any kind but I have played with most brands a bit and bedded a huge pile of them... McMillan is hands down the best. They regularly send out stocks with recoil pads that look like they were ground down with gravel and the fiberglass cloth regularly shows through the swirls, but they are still king in all things functional. They are stiffer, straighter, and can be had at any reasonable weight.

IMO&E B&C are seldom anything like straight and a bummer to bed.

MPI stocks have been brutal at the bench.

Bansers are reasonably good in most respects, but they are not a McMillan. They would be the only one below a McMillan I would consider.

Obviusly it would not work for your action, but a take-off Ti stock for a 700 is an outstanding stock "for the money."

Default laminated

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    e-gunparts.com recently got in a variety of what appears to be newly manufactured (by Ruger) stocks for the old tang safety guns. As of about a month ago ago they had all action lengths and models in stock, including UL and RSI stocks. All wood of course, but they did have some laminated versions.

I snagged a ultralight stock for my old tang safety 30-06 and it fits perfectly and smells like fresh walnut. Obviously a factory ruger stock and not a aftermarket.

Follow the link and scroll to the bottom.

http://e-gunparts.com/products_new.asp?CatID=10801

Yk
    Just got my laminated from Numerich(sp?) supply.
    Looks pretty good but will need to open it up for the Norma barrel.
    No complaints here for a hundred bucks.