Thread: Lost stuff

Default Lost stuff

I lost some stuff from my load last night on the Big su between Kroto and Deshka. Lost 3 empty 5 gallon gas cans (one thin two normal...one says Glacier City Snowmobile tours on it) and more importantly, 3 large band saw blades. They are all dull and one is ready to break but I would like them back if found. They are stacked together with duct tape on the cutting teeth. I did not have fuel to go back looking last night and after 4 hours travel (from Onestone) was not really interested.

I have trail conditions reports for the Shell Hills/Iditarod for freighters too!

We left behind a 2 1/2 gallon red plastic can Saturday because of a broken strap and someone was nice enough to pick it up so as not to pollute the area. Glad we were able to stuff the fuel in the tanks before leaving it.

There is a new breed out on the river these days. I hope you get your stuff back.

Thumbs up

Chances are very good that the items are hanging up near where they were lost. Most people hang the items up, so they can be seen and not run over or covered with new snow. Usually they don't have room to haul out "extra gear". Gloves, cans, bungee's, straps and all else that get's found usually end up on a limb or stake nearby.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Chances are very good that the items are hanging up near where they were lost. Most people hang the items up, so they can be seen and not run over or covered with new snow. Usually they don't have room to haul out "extra gear". Gloves, cans, bungee's, straps and all else that get's found usually end up on a limb or stake nearby.
    Yea I thought the same too, but that did not keep our can from walking....hopefully it found a better home. I hope whoever has it notices the places where it was worn thin from getting hit with the track and studs. Definately a garage can, no longer a transport can.

The gas cans are "dime a dozen" as far as I'm concerned. I cart them around until they wear through and seem to have a bounty of emptys. The saw blades are special made for my mill and won't work on any mill but mine (or another made by the same guy). With all the new snow I'm sure they are buried by now.

I am mounting a "reverse Light" to my rack so I can check my load without stopping or craning my neck while traveling forward at 40mph pulling doubles. It seemed like my load got smaller...the blades cut the straps holing a small piece of plywood to protect the straps from the blades.

Seems like I lose a sled (the second one) several times a season. Fortunately the hitch usually breaks about 6-10 miles from my place near Onestone and I find it later that evening (2AM) or the next day.

I know who you are now......I have chased you down to tell you lost a sled.

You could rig up a simple ckt to wire up your sleds so that if one comes lose it would trigger a light or an alarm of some kind. May be worth it, though it probably wouldn't help much to warn your about things falling out. Only answer for that is a buddy to follow you.

Start using a safety chain ! found some lost fright on the river about 20 years ago.seems it was somebody's laundry bag that came loose .found these full figurer bras. we did not hang them on the marker sticks just turn
    the cloths in to the office.

Quote Originally Posted by RUSTY PUPPY View Post
    Start using a safety chain ! found some lost fright on the river about 20 years ago.seems it was somebody's laundry bag that came loose .found these full figurer bras. we did not hang them on the marker sticks just turn
    the cloths in to the office.
    Hmmm, that is a lot easier than my idea

Default Safety chain will KILL me!

If I tried to use a safety chain when 6-800 lbs comes loose, I will stop so suddenly that there will be no SAFE in safety. I broke another bolt dropping on to the Skwentna near the old roadhouse Saturday. Rode to my cabin anyhow as I would have dropped this sled at the roadhouse anyhow. Sunday I wwent back and hter it was on the steep slope to the river...lost still on the hillside, tounge stuck 2 feet into the snow. If I would have had a chain..it would have hurt me or the dog riding with me.

I guess an alarm might work but I will keep looking back, keep a mental note of where I last saw the load, and head back. No traffic had even been down the trail by morning or they might have broken the window on top of my second sled.

I can be identified by a BRIGHT ORANGE helmet, yellow super wide, and pulling doubles or triples.

The trail from Old Skwentna to Luces is in but pretty lonely on a monday afternoon.

Seems like I lose a sled (the second one) several times a season. Fortunately the hitch usually breaks about 6-10 miles from my place near Onestone and I find it later that evening (2AM) or the next day. Seems like it,s time to rethink the hitches,With the SWT mean bigger loads, Need Bigger bolt,s and bigger hitch, They take a beating, Sorry just had to say it Those mirrirs on there are not the greatest either. On mine i but a aftermarket one on the right side of my machine so i could see what was going on back there. It has about 3-4 in shaft on it with ball joints on both ends so can fold up out of the way when in the woods, work perfect. Just have to get over drilling a couple of holes in a $10.000 machine. That was the hard part.

Quote Originally Posted by aksnowmo View Post
    The trail from Old Skwentna to Luces is in but pretty lonely on a monday afternoon.

When did the trail get put in??? We talked to Zoe on Sunday and it was not done yet. We were looking at coming out Saturday to do it. Did the markers get put up.......

Thanks to those that put the trail in. Old Iditarod is done....any luck with the Shell Creek or that going to be one to avoid again this year?

Thanks Again everyone.

A simple alarm system that would tell you if you lost a pull sled could be made using a 12v relay, 12v lamp, 30 feet of wire and a few wire nuts for < $15.

Default Old Iditarod Luces to Onestone

I'm guessing the folks from Talview broke the trail and it is marked but too far apart for blizzard or flat light with new snow. The trail has been in since early January but better marked now. I broke the iditarod from Onestone down to the river (Old Skwentna Roadhouse) on Jan 2.

I'm not sure who (Gaberzacks?) groomed the Luce's end for about 6 miles on Monday. It was really sweet after the rolling drifts of the big swamps out there.

Shell Creek has a track on it but well...it is Shell Creek. If you haven't seen the snowmobile cowling in the deep water in the summer...there is at least one. I am using the Iditarod since it is useable.

I like the alarm for losing trailers and they don't make a bigger Chicago Bolt than the one I am presently using and they $25 each. I always carry an extra and the beaver dams, sharp corners, dips, and creeks always make the last 6 miles the longest. Drop a trailer or it will drop itself

Here is my track from the last trip
    ATM_ 1-Tyonek 250K; AK.pdf