Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Coming to Fairbanks

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5

    Question Coming to Fairbanks

    My husband is being relocated to Fairbanks sometime this month. The company will be shipping all of our stuff and our big Suburban up for us so we don't have to worry about that. I am worried about what we will need clothing wise for when we get off of the plane. Also we have a cattle dog mix that will be coming with us that isn't used to the cold. Should we have anything special for him? Hubby is huge fisherman, where might he find a great place to fish around there? Do we want to look for a place to live in Fairbanks or in the surrounding areas? We are coming from Seattle, so any good ideals would be helpfull.

  2. #2
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    The dog: the local mushing gear stores will have fleece booties. It will take a few days to get the dog to hold still for you to put them on. The dog should have enough fur on it to deal with the cold, but if not then get a fleece coat from the mushing stores.

    Getting off the plane you can still be in shirt sleeves down the ramp and into the terminal. Between the terminal and the rental car is where you will want a coat. A fleece lined coat with a sweater will be OK for the first day. Stocking cap with ear flaps kind of thing is fine. Any outdoor boot or shoe is OK for the trip. Insulated ski gloves are fine.

    After you get there you will want some Sorel style snow pacs and heavier insulated coats. Vince on here should be able to point you in the right direction for local stores like Big Rays. In college we were seldom outside long enough to justify winter gear other than hats and gloves. Too much to deal with in the 90 degree classrooms.

    Before you ship the Urban have a tank heater installed down there so that you don't have to mess with it later. Depending on the model I like the in line ones that circulate the fluid in the block rather than a block heater that goes into one of the freeze plug holes. However, some more modern vehicles don't work well with the tank heaters due to some internal issues and heater valves.

    Fishing: bring a 4wt fly rod for the grayling in the upper Chena. If you like saltwater plan on long weekend trips to Valdez for salmon and other saltwater fish. Canoe trips to Tangle Lakes for lake trout and grayling.

    Others will let you know about the real estate up there. The rumor is that Alyeska is once again considering consolidating their operations to Anchorage so there could be some nice homes for sale at or below market value in the next year.

    There are not a lot of other communities around Fairbanks other than Northpole, Ester, and Fox, but there are parts of town spread far from town. Due to the poor water quality a lot of folks have their water delivered weekly rather than have a well. I recommend renting for a while before you decide to buy a place. Some folks hate the winter and then leave before summer gets going and miss the best part of living there. Remember sleep is what you do in the winter when it is dark. In the summer I only slept when it rained.

  3. #3
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Pixi... do look us up when you hit town... my office is easy to find if you need assistance or recommendations. or feel free to call prior to.. 888-201-7536 it is a long message but transfers to my cell...

    what is your time frame for arrival? we are expecting our annual cold snap here in the next 6 weeks... when the bottom drops out..it really is best to arrive in the middle of -50 or more below zero.. that way you get adjusted right off
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hawaii/Alaska
    Posts
    32

    Default

    pm sent to you

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default Time frame

    we are still waiting on the phone call with the leave date. I hate the waiting. all I know at this point is sometime this month. Have been watching the weather and am not looking forward to freezing my behind off. Will be renting for a while, looking for someplace that has at least 2 rooms as we will have lots of visitors. My dad had a fish camp in Dry Bay so I know a little, but not much about what to expect.

  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Vince, what is your company? Just got off the phone with the relocation specialist and it looks like around the 15th of this month.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks in the future...
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    The dog: the local mushing gear stores will have fleece booties. It will take a few days to get the dog to hold still for you to put them on. The dog should have enough fur on it to deal with the cold, but if not then get a fleece coat from the mushing stores.

    Getting off the plane you can still be in shirt sleeves down the ramp and into the terminal. Between the terminal and the rental car is where you will want a coat. A fleece lined coat with a sweater will be OK for the first day. Stocking cap with ear flaps kind of thing is fine. Any outdoor boot or shoe is OK for the trip. Insulated ski gloves are fine.

    After you get there you will want some Sorel style snow pacs and heavier insulated coats. Vince on here should be able to point you in the right direction for local stores like Big Rays. In college we were seldom outside long enough to justify winter gear other than hats and gloves. Too much to deal with in the 90 degree classrooms.

    Before you ship the Urban have a tank heater installed down there so that you don't have to mess with it later. Depending on the model I like the in line ones that circulate the fluid in the block rather than a block heater that goes into one of the freeze plug holes. However, some more modern vehicles don't work well with the tank heaters due to some internal issues and heater valves.

    Fishing: bring a 4wt fly rod for the grayling in the upper Chena. If you like saltwater plan on long weekend trips to Valdez for salmon and other saltwater fish. Canoe trips to Tangle Lakes for lake trout and grayling.

    Others will let you know about the real estate up there. The rumor is that Alyeska is once again considering consolidating their operations to Anchorage so there could be some nice homes for sale at or below market value in the next year.

    There are not a lot of other communities around Fairbanks other than Northpole, Ester, and Fox, but there are parts of town spread far from town. Due to the poor water quality a lot of folks have their water delivered weekly rather than have a well. I recommend renting for a while before you decide to buy a place. Some folks hate the winter and then leave before summer gets going and miss the best part of living there. Remember sleep is what you do in the winter when it is dark. In the summer I only slept when it rained.
    I am moving to Fairbanks in June with my wife and I applied for a paid summer internship with Alyeska for that region. Oh man I hope it doesn't affect us!

  8. #8
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by THE_HUNTERIAM View Post
    I am moving to Fairbanks in June with my wife and I applied for a paid summer internship with Alyeska for that region. Oh man I hope it doesn't affect us!
    Its a rumor. The politics of oil up here creates an under current of gossip of massive porportions. When the flow volume goes down people start talking about "is it going to shut down" and then all kinds of things start getting said over beers after work. It takes them over a year to get things moving and owner approved.

    To keep their overhead management might move into empty space in one of the owner's buildings rather than rent or maintain existing offices for all the suits.

    Years ago they consolidated management to Fairbanks since that was the closest large town to their "job site" the TAPS. Now to keep cost in check they might move those suits back down here.

    If your internship does not require a tie with matching shoes and belt then you should be OK.

    Some info about TAPS internships and temp jobs. They are political. A lot of them go to insiders. It depends on who you know, your education, who you married, who your daddy is, etc. Some programs are better than others. Some are pure "whodoyouknow" to be qualified.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Pole, AK
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Pixi,
    My wife and I moved up the end of summer. We LOVE it. Would love to meet you folks and give whatever newbie info we have that might be useful. The folks on here are a great resource.

    Can't wait for my first hunting season this year. :-)

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks in the future...
    Posts
    323

    Question

    Any help when we move up there too would be absolutely grateful! Anyone here go to the Church of Christ in Fairbanks? That's where we will be attending.

  11. #11
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pixiebob View Post
    Vince, what is your company? Just got off the phone with the relocation specialist and it looks like around the 15th of this month.
    we own Alaska Monitoring and Drug testing off third street, right across from Frontier out fitters... so if i am not in the office i am probably leaning on the gun counter
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  12. #12
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Lol, thats funny. My hubby will be at Bentley Mall. Still trying to work out locations. I have the feeling I will be lost for a while. Will look you up when we get there and thanks for the info.

  13. #13
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1buba View Post
    Pixi,
    My wife and I moved up the end of summer. We LOVE it. Would love to meet you folks and give whatever newbie info we have that might be useful. The folks on here are a great resource.

    Can't wait for my first hunting season this year. :-)
    Buba, where did you move from and where can we find you? I think that I a going to need to get to know lots of folks, since all the family and friends are down here.

  14. #14
    Member atvalaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    camp-go-4-beer fbks
    Posts
    630

    Talking 20 above to day at my place in fbks

    t-shrit day...leave the coats at home!
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

  15. #15
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    t-shrit day...leave the coats at home!

    LOL no kidding.. i was on the phone with Draeger in Erving TX at 0530 this am...



    WE ARE WARMER THEN THEY ARE




    i love global warming
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Pole, AK
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by THE_HUNTERIAM View Post
    Any help when we move up there too would be absolutely grateful! Anyone here go to the Church of Christ in Fairbanks? That's where we will be attending.
    The...
    We attend at Jubilee Worship on 3rd - about 3 blocks from Vince's office.

    Quote Originally Posted by pixiebob View Post
    Buba, where did you move from and where can we find you? I think that I a going to need to get to know lots of folks, since all the family and friends are down here.
    pixiebob,
    sending a pm w/ my email. don't mind anyone on here having it, but hate the bots...

    We're in the middle of finding a new place, the one we are renting is going to house or landlords nanny the first of March. Don't know where we'll be yet, but I'm hoping it will be north of Fairbanks. :-)

  17. #17
    New member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I live in birchwood housing and am looking to move on base so I need someone to take over my lease. It is their smaller 3 bedroom home in Birchwood homes. 2 1/2 baths, 1 car heated garage. laundrey on 2nd story right outside bedrooms and bathroom. These homes will rent for $1920 now. We are offering a discount to take over our lease. You will get all the way to 30 June at the discounted rate! Mail box right 50 feet down the street, wifi internet and heat included in price! About 1 mile from Fred Myer and Walmart, Sams Club and Safeway. Right in front of the back enterance to Wainwright. If you have pets it is a 1000 dollars for a refundable deposit. I have a fence which is an additional $50 a month but will pay for the until the lease is up.

    If any one is interested just give me a call. 931-561-8760

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •