Thread: sexing ruffies

Default sexing ruffies

Ya ya it's not what you think lol.

I got emailed a link to Mn Outbounds website (I believe it's called)...anyways Ron Schara is the host and he was talking about ruffies..had a neat show on them....part of it was sexing them. Didnt know you could tell the sex of a ruffie by the rump feathers right in front of the tail fan. 1 dot vs multiple...1 being a hen, 2 being male.

Cool stuff! They also caught them in boxes..the bait? A mirror in the back end....pretty dang slick.

The drumming male ruffie they said created a sonic boom, a vacuum....had some pretty sweet video of it. I dont want to post it here as it's a MN video and the powers at be will likely delete it for not being alaskan lol....

Where do you live TradBow? I have a booklet that you can have that addresses this matter and more concerning ruffed grouse. Keep in mind that the rump feathers as well as the band on the tail are indicators of sex id, but not 100% accurate. Close enough though.

Jim

Jim,

I live very close to you, I shoot with the same group of guys you do...well did (I'm not sure if you even bowhunt anymore lol)...and you hunt on some land in delta that I have access too also...we know eachother .

I know the old standard was to measure the tail feathers and based on length you were able to sex...for males it was 100%, for females it was less then 50% accurate. They say the spot method is at or very close to 100%....either way cool stuff.

Hey btw, how is Fred doing? I heard he's back here in town?!?!

Dan

Default Dan, I'm having a senior moment!

I should know who you are, but I don't remember. I would still bowhunt but some dirty SOB stole my Black Widow out of my truck in my driveway one night when I stupidly left it unlocked.

But now you've got me worried about where we hunt. Me and one of my best pals have the exclusive rights to hunt the farm I hunt on mostly. I do occasionally hunt other farms where I've gotten permission, but there's only two of us (actually my pal only hunts one week per season) on the place I hunt. Who are you? And what farm are you hunting?

Where do you still shoot your bow in winter?

Jim

Jim,

That sucks about the bow! should be an easy find around here unless it was pawned off ebay or something similar. You should talk to some of the boys up here, I'm sure one or more of us have bows for sale....I just sold two longbows in the past few weeks.

As for the farms, you have nothing to worry about. I dont hunt birds down there. Actually so far the only thing I've hunted on it is predators so I'm doing you a service . Tried to get my crap together last fall to hunt geese there with no luck... couldnt round up dec's and gear or a partner with a few decs before I ran out of time (and motivation). You dont have exclusive rights on this farm...but he doesnt let a ton of guys hunt on it either. I have yet to see anyone other then the landowner and so far he has yet to go out with us howling at songdogs in the delta winds lol.

As for the bow I shoot where ever I can...but I can say this I WILL not shoot at kingsnock anymore! I'd rather shoot in my house and replace my walls then walk through that door again.

U dont work at Gene's still do you? If so I'll have to stop in.

Dan,

Sorry, I meant that last post to actually be a PM, but I'm getting old and stu..not smarter.

Actually, the farm I hunt is owned by a gal. You're thinking of someone else. I believe it's the neighboring farm. But I'll hook you up to hunt 'yotes for sure. Trouble is, I don't think a man could shoot enough of them to make much of a difference. Frankly, I'm convinced that raptors and poachers are the greatest threat to grouse.

Yep, I've got one teenager left at home and she wants a car and college, so I'm still down at Gene's. Coffee is free! I'll bring some of those RGS books with me and have them at my desk.

Jim

sounds good to me Jim....I'm off tomorrow or this coming weekend...see ya soon!

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    . I dont want to post it here as it's a MN video and the powers at be will likely delete it for not being alaskan lol....
    We've got ruffies up here...POST AWAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    We've got ruffies up here...POST AWAY!!
    No joke, we even let those canadian boys post up about their sheep and bou escapades without tossing them in the wildlife outside of AK purgatory to only be viewed by the 10 folks a year that accidently click the link.