Thread: Browning's Mountain Ti

Default Browning's Mountain Ti

what do you guys think of them i have not gotten to hold one and i am wanting one in a 300 wsm for a sheep hunting rifle i have lots of big bores i am looking for somthing nice light. what are the thoughts on this it is around 5.5 pounds

Well if you are set on the 300 WSM round for your sheep hunting rifle then sure the Browning TI would be a good choice if you got the $$$.

However, since you stated you already got the big bore thing covered why not think about going 7-08 in a Kimber Montana for less $$$ and less weight??

I have a 300 wsm Ti browning. It shoots great. every factory load I tried grouped under an inch. No mechanical or reliablity issues with the browning. Recoil with this light weight gun is significant from the bench.

It is a much better gun than the several kimbers I have owned.

i really want a 300wsm i am not sure why but i have wanted one for some years now reading reviews they say the browning feeds very nice. i like 300wsm for the fact that i can load it with alot of differnt bullets and i have other 30 cal.

i have held the kimber before i they just dont feel right in my hands very light gun for sure.

my other choice on calibers i was thinking but dont know alot about is the 30-378 weatherby but needs a long barrel to perform well so i am going for light and small for sheep hunting

30-378 is a bit much for sheep except perhaps Asian hunting and if you don't reload the cost of factory ammo can be a bit intimidating.....IMO. Brownings are highly thought of by their users. Their triggers are a bit complex to work on in the field but otherwise a Browning Ti in 300 WSM or better yet 7mm WSM should make a dandy sheep gun.

i hand load so ammo cost is not an issue i am planing a sheep hunt in the wrangles and i want to have light rifle that is depenable i have been using my ruger 338 wm for sheep hunting and it is just a bit heavy any one know how to make a ruger m77 mk11 nice and light? i have thought about the 7mm but i like that i could load up a heavy bullet if i needed in the 300 next time i am anchorage i need to find the A bolt and hold it and see how it feels

Near Phoenix, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by rmk4x4 View Post
    my other choice on calibers i was thinking but dont know alot about is the 30-378 weatherby but needs a long barrel to perform well so i am going for light and small for sheep hunting
    That is the top speed king for sure but do you really want to pay > $4.00 per shot? As mentioned in another response, the 30-378 is over kill for sheep.

I have a step brother with a 300WSM and he loves it. He took his first Dall Sheep on the Brooks this past year with my other brother that shoots a 338WM. Both were successful this past August.

I have an Uncle that shoots a Ruger 7mmRM up there and has taken more than his share of sheep with that round as well as a .243Win. Bigger is not always better, there are plenty of light weight 243's floating around.

If you are set on the .300 WSM, the Browning Ti is definitely the way to go IMO. I almost bought one, but went with a Weatherby Ultra Lightweight because I wanted to try the .280. I don't think you'll go wrong with the Ti.

Juneau - Auke Bay

Default Sheep gun

I found my .264 win mag is perfect for Dall Sheep. It's on a magnum mauser action with a 26" barrel, Bold Optima trigger at 2 1/2 lb pull

Light enough to pack up the hills all day and crawl across everything to get close enough to get a good shot.

I use 77gr IMR4831 with 135gr Hawk round tip bullets

You'll not have to worry about any equipment issues using a mauser action bolt rifle. anyone else out there like mauser actions?

I've used my 30-378 and yes, It is too much on a sheep closer than 100 yds but 400yds would be a no problem shot and if you can calculate the math: bullet drop, distance, elevation, wind, temp, humidity and are sighted in... a 30-378 will take that 600yd shot.
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great