Thread: mini metal lathe?

Default mini metal lathe?

I was wondering if anyone in anchorage has seen one of these for sale? Used or new..something in the 7x12 or slightly larger range would work for what I'd like to do. I know bigger is better I just dont have the need or room for bigger.

What size? I know a few guys who turn and may be able to point you in the right direction. There are also a few on Craigslist you may be interested in...
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

AIH stocks some China made minis. They work but I would not say they are accurate, but you should be able to hold close to .001" most of the time with some tuning.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I hate to say what I'm doing but to be honest any of them will work for my needs.....it's a wood working gig, similar to building pool cues.

I looked on craigslist, dunno how I missed them. (not seeing any mini's on there)

I need a 3/8 through hole and a length between chuck and live center of alteast 7"es, dont really need to much more then that.

Basically I'm taking a dowel, routing 4 V grooves into it. Then taking a piece of square stock, cutting two bandsaw grooves at 90 degrees to eachother and sliding it up the dowel (arrow shaft).

I've found guys using the metal lathes for this method and it seems to be working extremely well. They are either using the standard metal cutting tools OR chucking up a trim router in the tool post to take the footing down to the diameter of the shaft. The problem comes in the footing is a hardwood the shaft a soft wood, so sanding becomes a problem. You end up sanding the soft wood much faster then the hard causing some bad flatspots.

I know it's not the right forum for arrow talk but I figured I'd fill ya in. I know it's the right place to find a used mini lathe I hope

I'd like a metal lathe vs the wood lathes....to much tear out using tools using wood lathes.

Default Mini Lathe

We still have the little Prazi mini at the shop, far as I know. Come on down and have a look its about the size you are looking for. Heck, make the boss an offer, you might be suprised.

I will remmeber that when I come down. Does it have the through hole I need? Diameter might be 2"es or so...maybe a skosh more that needs clearence to turn.

I just cant have something to big...no real room for a full size or medium sized metal lathe.

I have the HF 7x10 that I convered to a 7x14. it would work very well for what you have in mind. The through hole is about 3/4" but the chuck hole is only about 5/8". The stock 7x10 doesn't give you much room between the chuck and a center. The 7x12 would probably have the room you need. I have used mine with wood a couple of times and it works very well. I haven't seen any for sale in the Anc area

I'll have to measure my grizzly 7X14, not sure if you'd get 7" from the chuck to a center in the tailstock. Even though it's rated as a 14" lathe, the tailstock really gobbles up alot of length, especially when you hang a live center off of it.

I'd also suggest instead of using the included chuck, us a 3C collet to grip the arrow shafts. You can get the collets in 1/64" increments and they give a much better grip than a 3 jaw chuck on wood.

The nice thing about the 7X import lathes is the variable speed. You can spin them right up for a nice sanded finish.

Paul,

The guy who put me onto this method of turning made some collets out of delron. Compression style that the 3 jaw chucks clamp down onto which in turn compresses down onto the shaft holding it.

I figure a foot total length maybe 7 or 8"es long from the points to the very tip of it. I wont need to turn the last 1 3/16ths"es due to the point taper...well I stand corrected I'll need to go just slightly past this mark to make sure the point and shaft come together nicely.

The foot basically is a mixture of soft wood and hardwood (or called a full splice in cue making terms), for 4.5 to 5"es still not sure how long I'd like to keep them, then 2 and 3/16ths"es past that of solid hardwood.

The largest shaft I'd foot is 23/64" diameter so I figured 3/8" would be plenty. Removing the tailstock to insert the shaft would allow me to get away using the mini.

I just measured my 7x14 and from the end of the chuck jaws to the tip of the live center is just a little over 12". If you use a collet, which would be better, you would have a little over 14". You might be able to insert the shaft from the tail end of the lathe using the chuck if the shaft would fit through the 5/8 through hole in the chuck. You want to chuck with as little shaft between centeres as possible to prevent flex of the shaft. I'm thinking the 7x12 or 7x14 would work very well for what you want. If you want, you can try mine with a few shafts to see if it will work for you. PM if you want to try it.

RB,

Where are you located? I will take you up on that offer, definatly appreciate it! I am working 12's for the next few days, got a couple off then doing 8 more 12's straight. So it'll be a few weeks before I can get some blanks glued up. I'm in north pole.

Dan

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I Live in Peters Creek which is in north Anchorage. The offer is still good if you make it down this way. I work 7/12s and off for 7. If the trip is not to far , give me a call (688-3849) and we'll figure out a time. Roger

Roger,

Will do, I'm in noth pole but dont mind making the drive . Need to get some corn fritters and visit some friends in anchortown here soon anyways. Thanks again for the offer you'll be hearing from me. I'm working 8 12's starting tomorrow going from days to nites so I probably wont call till mid to late next week sometime. Gonna be east sleep work for a little bit .