View Poll Results: Which handgun caliber do you carry?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • 44 mag

80 47.34%
  • 45 Colt

9 5.33%
  • 454 Casull

19 11.24%
  • 475 Linebaugh

2 1.18%
  • 480 Ruger

1 0.59%
  • 460 S&W

7 4.14%
  • 500 S&W

12 7.10%
  • Other

39 23.08%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you carry in the woods?

Default What do you carry in the woods?

The rifle poll in the hunting forum got me thinking - with the new hand cannons out there, how many Alaskans are toting one of them in the woods for bear protection, and how many are still using something more traditional? I will be using my new S&W 460V when I get home. How about the rest of you?

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Hey partner, you know this is not a fair question unless we can choose more than one. lol Depending on the type of hunt, I for one, normally have at least two close at hand. I'll go with my 45 for this pole. But the 44 can also be found close by, normally on a hunting partner that needed to borrow it............

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Hey partner, you know this is not a fair question unless we can choose more than one. lol Depending on the type of hunt, I for one, normally have at least two close at hand. I'll go with my 45 for this pole. But the 44 can also be found close by, normally on a hunting partner that needed to borrow it............
    LOL, who would that be?

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default .44 mag is it for me

Not because there isn't bigger, but that's big enough and the .44 doesn't make me flinch.

Not because 35 years ago Clint Eastwood made it the most popular weapon to show in a movie, to this day, beside's Star War's light sabers.

Yes because its not an automatic (I don't trust automatics in the field).

And yes (for me) because the right one to carry is the one you have the confidence to hit with.

I think I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict the 44 mag will win this one by a pretty healthy margin. It will still be interesting to see how many votes the less common calibers get though.

Family man - all good reasons for your choice. Elmer Kieth would be so proud!

Default except he's dead

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Elmer Kieth would be so proud!
    Yeah, if he weren't dead; Guess that's why you said "would be" though. So maybe instead, we're proud of him? If it weren't for him, its likely I'd be carrying something else.

Started just this year packing a 460V in a chest holster. This replaced my trusty short barrel extended magazine Remington 870. I still have more confidence in my 870 but it became such a pain to carry that I started looking at a hand cannon. I have practiced with my 460 to achieve combat accuracy so I believe I can hit where I want with a 395 gr hard cast boolit despite the heavy recoil. However, space permiting, such as an ATV, my 870 goes along with my 460. I have always been a Ruger guy and wanted a 480. However, Ruger discontinued the 480 so I opted for the S&W for fear that one day I couldn't find ammo or reloading components for the 480.

Dan

I've been trying to decide between a .460, and a .44 for some time now. I have never fired anything larger than .454, so not too sure about the .460. Been shooting the old man's .44 since I was about 13. The .460 sounds pretty versitile with the caliber choices, but that big X-frame is a serious chunk of hand iron. S&W makes a .44 with a scandium frame that is pretty light. It seems like it would be much more comfy to wear all day out in the field.

I know what I'll do! I'll just get BOTH!

AKsoldier I flat love my 460V and I bet you will too. One of the best gun purchases I ever made if not the best, and I have made more than a few gun purchases.

44 will win the pole due more to how long it's been getting good press than anything else. Not that there is anything wrong with them at all. Just all the press they got for being the big dog for all those years made them the Chevy of revolvers calibers . . . everybody has, or has had one.

Sthrcave, you’re welcome to try on my 460V when you get home just holler. It's tamer than the Ruger 454 to me, with the brake and grip it's a joy so long as you don't through a death grip on it. Get all freaked that it’s going to heart and do the death grip then the rubber don't absorb anything and it smarts quite a lot. With a firm grip I can shoot more full on 460 ammo than my bank book allows for without any adverse effects at all.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Sounds good! Maybe I'll run into you at the range sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Yeah, if he weren't dead; Guess that's why you said "would be" though. So maybe instead, we're proud of him? If it weren't for him, its likely I'd be carrying something else.
    Yeah, I know he's gone, but he is the reason for the existence of the 44 mag, and therefore a significant reason for the existence of the other more recent big bores. They had to have something to beat! He's probably one of the most influencial people in handgun development in the last century.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    AKsoldier I flat love my 460V and I bet you will too. One of the best gun purchases I ever made if not the best, and I have made more than a few gun purchases.

44 will win the pole due more to how long it's been getting good press than anything else. Not that there is anything wrong with them at all. Just all the press they got for being the big dog for all those years made them the Chevy of revolvers calibers . . . everybody has, or has had one.

Sthrcave, youíre welcome to try on my 460V when you get home just holler. It's tamer than the Ruger 454 to me, with the brake and grip it's a joy so long as you don't through a death grip on it. Get all freaked that itís going to heart and do the death grip then the rubber don't absorb anything and it smarts quite a lot. With a firm grip I can shoot more full on 460 ammo than my bank book allows for without any adverse effects at all.
    Yeah, I've fired a 460V before with full-house loads. I was pleasantly surprised at the lack or recoil. I've fired snubby 357s that smarted more.

sthrcave - One of my former squad leaders carries a S&W 500 with the 8+ inch barrel in a Diamond D chest holster - comfortable all day. I'm planning to pick one up for my 460 when we get home. I think it's called the guide's choice holster. Google Diamond D holsters and you'll find the website.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Hmmm,

I see other has the second place right now. I'd be interested to hear what folks are using as "other", there was one mention of shotgun below, what else?

Well, I primarily intended this to be for defense handguns, but anyone who uses something different is certainly welcome to chime in. Especially other handgun calibers - post what you pack!

Hmm...Maybe I should have included a few more calibers. There may be a few out there toting the BFR in 45-70 or 450 Marlin.

Well I was an "other" vote. I used to carry a .44, but switched to a 10mm. Probably could get away with a .22 though really. The main reasons for me to carry a handgun is deter a bear sure but also possibly take small game as well. Plus I shoot my 10 mm better than I ever shot the .44 so for me its a no brainer. The confidence in knowing I'd atleast have a slightly better chance of putting a round where it needs to be with the 10 mm than the .44 is enough to carry it.

Noone voted for the 500 yet.... Where's Big H?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Well I was an "other" vote. I used to carry a .44, but switched to a 10mm. Probably could get away with a .22 though really. The main reasons for me to carry a handgun is deter a bear sure but also possibly take small game as well. Plus I shoot my 10 mm better than I ever shot the .44 so for me its a no brainer. The confidence in knowing I'd atleast have a slightly better chance of putting a round where it needs to be with the 10 mm than the .44 is enough to carry it.
    I didn't even think to add the pistol calibers. I guess I could have added the 10 mil, the 460 Rowland, 50 AE, 45 win mag......

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Although I was a fairly good shot with the .44mag in single action, I too like the 10mm in the G20 platform. For me it is more of the weight issue and ease of carry. Squeeze the trigger part way then a little more for a clean break. No hammers to pull back. Always have one in the chamber. I beleive I will never have to use it, but I have pulled out a few times when things get hairy. Nice always having something on and ready. Not to mention it is comfortable to wear in the Sportsman Holster.

I voted other.

My woods gun is a Glock 20 in 10mm. While I am sure I am undergunned for brownies I feel more comfortable with 16rds of Doubletap full power loads for whatever else. gives me 10 more chances of a hit.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

No .22? .......
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast