Thread: Need new rubber for my Honda

Default Need new rubber for my Honda

I need to get some new tires before spring for my Rubicon. I have been looking at the 26 inch 589's. what else should I be looking at? I put on around 1000 miles a year from cutting firewood to hunting and yard work. I plan on only using this set of tires for hunting and plowing snow and keeping a set of take offs for other chores. Thanks for your help

A cheaper alternative - TSL swamplites. I have them on my 700 grizzly and they are great. My only complaint is they don't balance well, so you get some vibration at high speed on relatively smooth terrain. Other than that, they are a great all-around tire with pretty aggressive tread and they hold up well. I've got over 2K miles on my 27's.

If you can't find them in AK, get them shipped to Seattle for free, (Many online stores offer free shipping in the lower 48) and Carlile will ship them to Anch. for $75.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default Search

There is a big tread on here about tires. Its very informative. It led me to look at a set Zillas. great reveiws on these tires. Hillbilly

Thumbs up

I put a set of 27" Mudlites on my 2004 450 Foreman the day I bought it. I love those tires, they have proven great on everything but slick clay/hardpack. But, by going over the stock size (25"), if I were to do it again, I'd a put the 26's or 25's on there. You lose a little power with the bigger tires and the 1/2" of clearance loss wouldn't be that critical. The Mudlites will also fit on the stock rims without spending all the extra for aluminums, the 589's (I believe) won't. From what I've seen personally, they'll do everything the 589's will at a lesser price. Oh yah, I've got a 1000 miles on them and they're still at 80% rubber. Good luck...

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by horse View Post
    I need to get some new tires before spring for my Rubicon. I have been looking at the 26 inch 589's. what else should I be looking at? I put on around 1000 miles a year from cutting firewood to hunting and yard work. I plan on only using this set of tires for hunting and plowing snow and keeping a set of take offs for other chores. Thanks for your help

IMO.... look no further! 589's are the way to go! got 1200 miles on mine and they pretty much look the same as the day I bought them. they are heavier than the mud lights but to me that only matters if you plan on carting them around on your back....
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    IMO.... look no further! 589's are the way to go! got 1200 miles on mine and they pretty much look the same as the day I bought them. they are heavier than the mud lights but to me that only matters if you plan on carting them around on your back....
    i have over 5K on mine look great run great!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

So do I go with the 25 or 26 inch 589s. Thanks

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

the bigger tires look awsome..... but I went with 27's on mine and compaired to my wifes KQ with stock tires, there is a significant difference in power, acceleration and top speed. Lost about 10mph on the top end (not a problem as we almost never ride anywere near that fast) but the "snappyness" of her machine is way more noticable due to the reduced rotational mass.

I guess if I was to do it again I would probably go with 26"s
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Thumbs up 589's

If you go with 26" 589's you will be very pleased and will never have to say "I wish I would Have"
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

I would not go with 27" 589's on your Rubicon. A very good friend of mine has those on his Rubi and his machine drives like a tank, honestly I don't know how he rides that thing all day. The 589's are considerably heavier than the comparable Mudlite XL's which is what i've been running since I bought my Foreman back in 04. The 589's are better in the mud for sure but for everything else, i'd give the nod to the Mudlites.

Default 589's run small

Horse - not sure if you've already made your purchase but 589's run small. My 26's were actually 24.5. I have 27's on my 2010 Ranger 6X6 and they are and they are like 26".

Not to discount the comment about 589's being hard to steer but alot of time guys will put the same width in the front as the rear for increased flotation and that will cause the steering to be more difficult. However, my 26" 589's were on a Polaris X2 500 9" in front and 12" in the back. IMO no problems steering. On my Ranger I have 9" in the front and 11" in the rear again no problems with the steering.

I have buddies with Mudlite XL's and they do fine too. But if you put 10 or 11" wide tires in the front you're going to have stiffer steering.

Well the 26" 589 are on there way only $10 shipping per tire saved me close to $200 by not buying them in fairbanks. I will post how I like them after some spring riding.

Motosports is the only place to buy tires. It took them 3 days to get to my door step.