Thread: How do i get a flying Job.

Default How do i get a flying Job.

I am a commercial rated pilot with a little of 600 hrs i have about 250 alaska hours and am looking to get hired. I grew up in Soldotna and currently live in nikiski. Every one sais that bethal is were you start. And I am willing to get started out there. What Do i need to do to get out there?

Send a resume'?

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by Muskeg56 View Post
    Send a resume'?
    Send a resume to whom? I lived in Alaska for 35-years, and have thousands of Alaska bush hours. Once owned High Lake Lodge, and flew for a time with Painter Creek Lodge, down near Heiden. You can check me out in "Flying the Alaska Wild" and "The Bush Pilot Chronicles," both of which I wrote.

Anxious to get back to what I did best! So, whom does one contact in Bethel?

Mort

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Grant and Hageland have offices in Anchorage.

Yute Air in Bethel.

Hi Mort:
    I read 'Flying the Alaska Wild' a couple times and both times I enjoyed it. Your book was at Iliaska Lodge when I worked there, and then I re-read it again when I flew for Wings Airways in Juneau. I think it's a great read and I'd recommend it to anyone that wants to do off-airport flying in Alaska.
    My only point to this guy was that to get a job, you have to ask for a job. Send resume's out to Alaska Operators and then follow up a week later. If you can get there personally, do it that way. Nobody's too busy in January and February. If you can't get there in person follow up with a phone call.
    Flyalaska.com I think cost $10 a year to join and it's got a huge amount of information on lodges and air taxi operators. What they want and how they hire, plus job listings in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 1 View Post
    Send a resume to whom? I lived in Alaska for 35-years, and have thousands of Alaska bush hours. Once owned High Lake Lodge, and flew for a time with Painter Creek Lodge, down near Heiden. You can check me out in "Flying the Alaska Wild" and "The Bush Pilot Chronicles," both of which I wrote.

Anxious to get back to what I did best! So, whom does one contact in Bethel?

Mort

the 135s in bethel will very likely require at least 1500 TT and 500 hours alaska time. this seems to be the very minimum likely due to insurance.?...

might have to look at the SIC route...

Default flyalaska.com

www.flyalaska.com has a directory of Alaska flight operations and a membership section with links to about 250 or more Alaska flight operations, mostly 135 stuff, some lodges and some 121 operators. The membership section also posts Alaska flying job offers.

thanks for the help. i'll check them out.
    Has anyone heard of who is usually in need. Every one sais that you will start in bethel and that they hire at 500 hrs. But Who is the low time pilots getting Jobs with?

Default here's the way

1. no one is going to come looking for you.
    2. no one cares about your career as much as you do.
    get on the internet and make a list of every operator in Alaska, yea every one.
    write a resume' one page, easy to read, make the point of your quail.s in the top third.
    send one with a cover letter to everyone on the list. you can group them into areas,ie lake hood, amr etc. mail them and drive up to anchorage and visit them in a few days. Start on Monday, fri. mail your fairbanks group Tues head north. make the rounds over and over.
    3. never feel you are being a pain to these operators, let them see your face.
    4. the guy that gets hired is the one they reconize and is there when they need a pilot.
    5. if you see a load of freight being loaded jump in and help, offer to go along to help unload.
    that might not get you a job with him, but operator all talk and it can't hurt. good luck Tom

Has anyone heard of who is usually in need. Every one sais that you will start in bethel and that they hire at 500 hrs. But Who is the low time pilots getting Jobs with?

---------------------
    The Shield Complete series
    MI-5 dvd
    Stargate Atlantis

Savannah, Ga. & wanting to go back to Ak.

Default Bush Pilot searching for work 2010 season.

comercial rating since 1973. 6500 hrs. TT, 2000 + hrs Ak. Time, 3500 hrs. floats/amphibs, 900 multi-engine. Have flown in so. east Ak. out of ketchican, Part 135 out of Lake Hood, Based in Galena for One winter flying into remote villages, and flights above the A. circle transporting passengers supplies. Have many hrs. flying tourist from Prince William Sound to and over the Denali, Trips to and around Mt. Mc Kinley, from Kodiac to Fairbancks to Nome, I have seen Alaska and wish to see it all again. Someone must need a **** Good Pilot. E-Mail william_winslow@yahoo.com

thanks for the help