Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this bow worth?

Default What is this bow worth?

Hi folks,

I have a Bear Super Kodiak recurve bow, and am trying to get an idea of what it is worth. It is rated at 55# with a 60" draw. I believe it was made in the 1970's or so. It has some cosmetic blemishes, but is in good working order (it was used for hunting, of all things...).

Anyway, anybody out there have an idea of what it is worth?

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Mike,

Lots of factors. The man I'd talk to is Lamont at the footed shaft in Rochester MN...he's a big collector of bear bows and will be able to get you all the info on the bow you could ever want. Some bows are worth little, some are worth an exsorbant amount. Unfortunatly Al Reader the man on bear bows passed away a couple years ago. He was very approachable on this subject and somewhere on line had some info on dating them, I'm not sure if it's still out there. You could also contact Traditional Bowhunter Mag, they had an article by Al done on this. Depending on the bear icon, color of the coin and serial you should be able to get all the info you could ever want on them. And from their easily find their worth. Lamont would be the easiest way to go!

Oh I'll give ya a 150 for it

Talking 60" draw

Mike i know its late in the day but 60" draw sounds like allot. maybe 28-30" or 60" tip to tip. :0P Sorry I couldnt resist. Hillbilly
    Last edited by H_I_L_L_B_I_L_L_Y; 01-03-2010 at 23:29. Reason: cant spell

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by H_I_L_L_B_I_L_L_Y View Post
    Mike i know its late in the day but 60" draw sounds like allot. maybe 28-30" or 60" tip to tip. :0P Sorry I couldnt resist. Hillbilly

well hillbilly i would guess this bow was custom built for folks like ... Lujon, Danattherock, Alaskantrapper, etc etc etc....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I bought mine for $150 last year on craigslist after my Matthews proved to be more for my shoulder than I expected (post surgery). The key to that old of a bow is limb twist. If the limbs are good and its condition is good, you can easily secure $100 for it as long as there is no spider cracks in the glass/clear coat showing stress. All for all these are/were good bows and have stood the test of time.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Mike, talk with Rick P. He wheels and deals in old trad bows a LOT and will probably know some info for it.

60" is probably the string length BTW.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

60 is probably the amo bow length . string length is usually 3 to 4"es shorter

limb twist is an easy fix, twist i back. I know some advocate heat using water vs dry, I dont. Just twist it back the other way, done deal. and then use a string and dont let it stand in the corner!

All bears are NOT created equal...a minor detail like what is on that coin, the color of it, the printing on the bow could make it worth a couple hundred bucks to a serious collectors bow! Bear bows typical bring more then your average bow, and they can bring a helluva lot more then that! Honestly with the right one you could easily finance a new widow or three if it's the right bear is what I'm getting at...make 100% SURE you know what you're selling before you sell Mike!!!

You'll need off hand when you talk to a bear bow expert..
    -the specs,
    -the coin (if it's still available) whats on it and the shape whats on it
    -the printing on the bow
    -bow woods if you can tell, they usually can guess by color, these guys are diehards when it comes to old bears!
    -serial number

There may be more but definatly have these on hand.

I have all the old tbms and could dig up the article done on dating a bear bow. I dont think there was any articles done in any other pub on them...if so I probably got them too LOL! it's kinda late and I've been digging for arrow stuff all nite (getting ready to build more, still tinkering with some ideas and concepts). I'm off the next two days. If you can get pics posted I'll try and get the articles scanned and posted....it'll be a start to getting you closer to finding a price.

Not to digress from the topic at hand, but I'd appreciate someone sending me a PM on 'bending them back'.

If you have twisted limbs, its most likely from stringing the bow incorrectly and without a bow stringer. I've been in archery since a small child, even tried to correct twisted limbs over the years, and never had any success. At one time we even tried to use a boyers heat box and mounted 'guides'.. again, no such luck. I can't think of how many bow's my family threw away as a child due to twisted limbs and don't recall ever reading anything on this topic in books or magazines.

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can provide. It's always nice to increase knowledge about a hobby you love and enjoy.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

this has come about in TBM a few times now..and the bowyers journal, longbows and recurves mag and one more I cant for the life of me remember the name....regardless it's an issue that likely will never go away.

My first bow I ever bought brand new a damon howatt hunter, had a twisted limb. I took it to a different bow shop. The old guy (ron carlson no relation to the famous RC), took that bow and tweaked it back by hand. Depending on how much twist will dictate how hard you have to twist it back. Obviously you're going to have to twist past the point of 'straight'. I have also twisted back quite a few twisted recurve limbs. Did one on a cheap piece of crap samick the other day a guy at the range had...it shoots...but man what a poorly built bow!

Heat is not a good way to go, the glue will soften and you could easily blow the bow up delaminating them. You're right they are typically twisted stringing using the step through method. They can also twist from improper storage. And typically a wide thin limb will twist before a narrow thick limb will.

If you CANT twist it back by hand, you can try running hot tap water..

If that doesnt work it might be that the limb is just cut wrong? I've had a longbow we thought had a twisted limb (which is extremely rare) only to find out the dang thing wasnt cut straight to begin with....and no amount of adjusting (sanding on the strong side of the limb) would straighten it out. If it's so sever that twisting it back with hot water and by hand doesnt work, I'd call the bowyer up...especially on a 3 piece recurve....a one piece you can twist pretty dang hard. I dont know how much I'd push the limb bolts laterally...they werent designed for extreme side to side forces! you COULD take the limb off, clamp it up and twist on it....kind of a pain having to bolt it back on the riser every time...just a thought.

Alaskanoutdoorsman

Dan's right on the money with his straitening post and you got a deal on your Supper Kodiak!

Mike I need serial number, wood type, coin color and flush or raised. Can you PM me a pic? Or even better I could look at it over coffee if you'd like to get together?

Values on bows can vary greatly for example I have 2 Kodiak hunters one in worth around $200 the other is worth considerably more and they look identical. The date is the difference, one is an introductory year bow. The super Kodiak's hold there value well some are worth allot more than they originally sold for and 55# @28" with a 60" AMO is not uncommon but rather sought after. I'm currently looking for a 1967 or a 1975 if it turns out to be either of those I'd immediately take myself out of the appraisal as that would be a conflict of interest.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Thanks for your reponse and information. If Dad were alive I can only imagine his glea to know he could have salvaged his old favorite recurve. He shot that thing until the old stick had nothing left to it, and yes, he used the step through method for a lifetime of stringing.

yup that step through method is no good....push pull is ok but can still tweak a limb if you're not careful, not to mention if you screw up you have a sharp pointy limb tip screaming at your head...not good.

Rick,

If this bow is one of those years and you find yourself still looking, I'd definatly talk to Lamont. He MAY know someone with one. I kid you not, the ceiling of his shop is lined from one end to the other with bear bows..he's also a serious collector. I have a buddy in WA whose big into arrow heads...has one helluva impressive collection, including arrows from some people we ALL know. He's a bear junkie but for whatever reason isnt into the bow market..he may know of someone also....let me know what you want and I'll shoot him off an email.

Kinda like this..........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Before you ask that is not my basement, it is the basement of a friend of a friend who I've had the pleasure to talk bows with. And yes there really are 12, 59 Kodiak specials there!

His inventory book for the broadhead collection is as thick as a Detroit phone book.
    BHA Member

Us bear guys are a dedicated bunch. Paul has a mix of 1968 tartar's and temujin's at his shop that are part of a collection he bought. I was able to tell him what other bows were in the collection and what the guy who owned them looked like based on those 5 or 6 bows.
    BHA Member

he's definatly close to par with that guy with bh's Rick, but he's not into the bow scene though I'm sure he knows people who could help ya find one if you're looking for it.

Thanks Tradbow but a big part of collecting is the hunt....I'll keep him in mind.
    BHA Member

Default ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Before you ask that is not my basement, it is the basement of a friend of a friend ...
    Can I take a wild guess that your friend is single?

If not, I know a guy (we both do) that needs to meet your friend's wife's sister. Yeah, you guessed it - the guy that you bought a bow from recently.

That's the friend.

The gentleman whose collection is pictured in my post is married! She dose have a sister and our mutual friend is very happy single! He gets his "family fix" every time he's here to visit and it's not like he lacks female companions, believe me!

BTW Tracy and I both have bows from his collection and Gunther loves to visit with Ethan, the bear and the bows. Also the pictures I posted are one small corner of the collection of our friend in the lower 48!

Sorry for those who are confused but I don't give out names without permission and in this case names are irrelevant.
    BHA Member

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

so? what the deal on mikes Bow?

or are we already past that and on to matchmaking... though the old bow could be used for that also...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast