Thread: what about a 416 Hawk-Scoville or JDJ

Question what about a 416 Hawk-Scoville or JDJ

What can anyone tell be about a .416 Hawk scoville or a .416 JDJ

I want to build another Mauser and thinking about a .416 with either an '06 brass on it or similar size cartridge. I don't want a magnum load. I've got a 416 Rigby, 400 H&H among others so magnum push in not what i want out of this. I want a larger calber with a medium charge behind it.

I want a an over 40 cal rifle without going magnum so my choices are limited to a few known wildcats.

Any experiance or knowledge you have with this style of wildcat, I'd love to know about it.
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Default .411 Hawk?

I think a guy named Fred at Z Hat should be able to help you out. I believe he has .411 Hawk info on his site. Looks good to me.

I can sure endorse your concept. Similar in case capacity and concept, but not the details, I built up a wildcat .429 based on the 45-70 case and the Marlin 1895. It's about the most fun gun to shoot I own, and I shoot .429 pistol bullets in it. Call it a "super" 444 Marlin, and you won't be far off. Bullets are cheaper, available in a much larger range of sizes, and lots easier to find than .458's. Due to higher sectional densities and a little extra velocity, it also doesn't give up anything to the 45-70 on game when I use well-built bullets over 300.

The one thing I'd consider in your plans is bullet availability. Are you going to be happy with what you can get, or does a shift in bore size give you more options?

I would be interested in any info you find on the 411 Hawk as I think it has some potential.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

I'd be thinking about a 400 Whelen if I were you . . .

Default 411 hawk

The largest standard HAWK caliber is 411 Hawk. It is based on an improved 35 Whelen brass and factory ammo is available as well as correctly headstamped brass.
    It uses bullets the same size as a 405 Winchester or the 450-400, somewhere between .409-.412 inches; Cast lead gas checked bullets are available if you choose that option.
    It launches a 350 grn bullet at 2300+ fps in a 26" barrel; according to HAWK. Since most magnum rifles use 24" or longer tubes to obtain velocity out of large powder charges this isn't too far fetched.
    I do believe that I would build a rifle with a 20-22" barrel and cope with the minimal velocity loss.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    I do believe that I would build a rifle with a 20-22" barrel and cope with the minimal velocity loss.
    brav01 its good to see someone else who does not mind a slight loss in velocity and doesn't cry about increased muzzle blast/noise.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Default Well

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    brav01 its good to see someone else who does not mind a slight loss in velocity and doesn't cry about increased muzzle blast/noise.
    It only uses a couple grains more powder than many 30-06 loads. I don't usualy complain about a 20-22" 30-06 and don't know that I would notice any difference in the noise over the standard 26" tube. I do believe that in the alders and willows you would notice the barrel length difference daily.
    According to their web page it will spit a 210 grn 41 mag bullet downrange at 2900+ fps; They use these for varmint rounds relying on the velocity to disrupt the pistol bullet jacket on smaller animals.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    According to their web page it will spit a 210 grn 41 mag bullet downrange at 2900+ fps; They use these for varmint rounds relying on the velocity to disrupt the pistol bullet jacket on smaller animals.
    Just a heads up:

My .429 wildcat will launch 180 grain jacketed pistol bullets at similar velocities, but there's a catch. They have to reach the target in order to do their damage. About half of them paint a nice silvery blue streak in the direction of the target, but just don't get there. They're coming apart in midair. The ones that manage to hold together go off like bombs on varmints, but in my experience you've got to hold velocity down below around 2500fps to consistently keep them in one piece.