Thread: 44 mag data

Premium Member

Default 44 mag data

My son has recently started shooting a 44 mag. I want to get him into reloading using my circa 1970’s RCBS equipment collecting dust in the garage. It’s been awhile and my experience has been with rifle loads only, ie. no crimping etc.
    I bought some Berry’s 240 gr plated HP bullets and Bluedot powder. I couldn’t find any data at Berry’s online, (my handbooks don’t list plated bullets, need to get some new ones) so sent them an email for some info., there response is below.
    Marlin,
    Sorry, we do not have our own tested load data, but let me try to help you.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: All of our standard caliber copper plated pistol bullets share only two limitations - Which are : NO velocities over 1200 FPS and No heavy roll crimps.
    We also point out in our print catalogs & on our website that our 44 caliber bullets are not designed to be used for full Magnum loads.
    I did find a load for you in Speer # 14 - as follows - 240 GD-HP with 12.3 Gr. Blue Dot for 1186 FPS - which will be within our velocity limit, but avoid any heavy roll crimps.
    I used the above load because Speer also makes copper plated pistol bullets - with the designations of TMJ or GD-HP - Their copper is thicker & their price is higher.
    Good Shooting,
    Bud Watson
    Berrys Mfg Inc

So does this info seem reasonable to you experienced reloaders? With reduced loads and Bluedot powder, do I need magnum primers? The bullets do not have a crimp ring. Do I still do a light crimp? Are there any drawbacks using Bluedot powder with light to medium loads?
    Thanks for any help.

Default I would take

the advice of the bullet manufacturer. I'm not sure why they recommend only a light crimp, but I would follow their advice. With that load, you don't need a magnum primer. Blue Dot is a relatively bulky powder, so load density should be fine.

I think they are worried about a good roll crimp getting through their plating. A taper crimp wouldn't be as likely to do so. I would still crimp them moderately.

That load isn't getting the most out of the 44 but I've killed a lot of whitetail deer with less.

Default berrys plated

i was surprised to read that info from the manufacturer, ive been loading these bullets based on speer and sierra 240 hp data and had great results. ive loaded them with up to 22 grains of h110 or 296 and a fairly tight taper crimp, with great accuracy from both my marlin 1894 and 7 1/2" SBH. not that im recommending it, cause it could be a mistake, but they shoot fantastic with no signs of excessive pressure or anything. ps i am pretty much a rookie.
    Last edited by raoul duke; 01-03-2010 at 23:16. Reason: omitted info
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. You need to learn to be slow in a hurry! Wyatt Earp.

Premium Member

Default 44 mag

Thanks for the feedback.
    I doubt we'll hunt with this load. They were fairly inexpensive at Sportsmans, around $32.00 for 250 I think. Was just going to plink with them. I just purchased the carbide RCBS dies for this round. I am not familliar with the different types of crimps, was assuming I could do a light crimp with the seat/crimp die included in this three die set.

Default crimp

thats how i did it, just screwed the seater plug back and ran the die down a little. those rounds were tack drivers!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. You need to learn to be slow in a hurry! Wyatt Earp.