Thread: Best factory ammo for a .454

Default Best factory ammo for a .454

I have a Ruger Alaskan in .454. What would your carry ammo be for the big brown toothy critters? I have heard Buffalo Bore has had some problems with their .454 ammo. I want a heavy hardcast bullet. Double Tap or Grizzly ammo comes to mind. I dont shoot it enough to buy dies and brass and such. Its my peice of mind when i am on the rivers. I know it may not be enough but it sure makes me feel better knowing i have it on my hip! I also have not purchased much for factory ammo in anything centerfire in the last 25yrs. Any thoughts?

I like the 335 and 360 from the folks you listed and no problems with any so far. For low cost and not to bad a round the magtech 260 works and shoots good in my gun. I do shoot about ten 45colt rounds to every 454 that I fire. I'm still looking for a quicker front sight than the black ramp

Default I will be placeing an order after the Wasilla High Gun Show

Show is on Jan. 16th and 17th. 10am to 5pm.

I sponsor the ammo dump here on the forums and sell factory ammo from Double Tap. I highly recomend it! I shoot is personally in 10mm. Priced well too. .454 for boxes of 20 is $27.95 each and he offers 4 loads up to 400gr WFNGC!

Smile Ammosmith of Alaska

Bob Wiseman, here on the Kenai peninsula, loads some of the best bear loads available with the most reasonable costs. He has a variety of hard cast loads to choose from. His number is 283-6110.

Do you have a way to get your ammo to Wrangell?

For factory ammo I like 395g CorBon hard cast best so far but have not tried Double Tap yet.

Amigo a little florescent orange model paint helps the black bump a lot, cheap and fast fix.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Do you have a way to get your ammo to Wrangell?

I cannot ship through USPS. So not sure of ground service out there. What is your normal way for items to be delivered? If you can order ahead and have it waiting on you if you ever come to Anchorage. Free shipping to my door! My shipping company doesn't have a stop in Wrangel. Maybe Valdez and pick up there? I am not sure about Gold streak or something like that. Might be a hazmat fee though.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

akrstabout... get a UPS hazmat cert ups and fed ex both fly hazmat all over the state thats how we get our gas bottles around for calibrations.

but you should beable to air ship ak air also as loaded ammo is not haz mat... as it can go in luggage...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    akrstabout... get a UPS hazmat cert ups and fed ex both fly hazmat all over the state thats how we get our gas bottles around for calibrations.

but you should beable to air ship ak air also as loaded ammo is not haz mat... as it can go in luggage...
    Cool, I will look into it.

Ak
    I am in MN but i have buddies in Anchorage. I am looking for a box to two for when i come up in July. I will PM you one of these next days. I think the 360grn loads would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I have a Ruger Alaskan in .454. What would your carry ammo be for the big brown toothy critters? I have heard Buffalo Bore has had some problems with their .454 ammo. I want a heavy hardcast bullet. Double Tap or Grizzly ammo comes to mind. I dont shoot it enough to buy dies and brass and such. Its my peice of mind when i am on the rivers. I know it may not be enough but it sure makes me feel better knowing i have it on my hip! I also have not purchased much for factory ammo in anything centerfire in the last 25yrs. Any thoughts?
    I have used Grizzly in my 454 with no problems at all.

Funny you mention Buffalo bore. I've had a bad batch and never tried it again. Several miss fires and they wouldn't even fire with multiply strikes.

I 've heard good thing about Double Tap but I have no personal experience with them yet.

After much resesearch, we have determined that the best bear loads for .454 Casull are made by HSM and Corbon.

So thats what we carry.

Since we have to back up what we sell, we want to work with companies who will back us up too.

Default 454

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Show is on Jan. 16th and 17th. 10am to 5pm.

I sponsor the ammo dump here on the forums and sell factory ammo from Double Tap. I highly recomend it! I shoot is personally in 10mm. Priced well too. .454 for boxes of 20 is $27.95 each and he offers 4 loads up to 400gr WFNGC!
    HI Double Tap is the way to GO! grate stuff
    And akrtabout is EZ to deal with.