Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 41mag

Default 41mag

how is a 41 for bear defense and range shooting

Right with 44mag for bear stoping. Ammo is harder to come by than 44mag and you don't get the option of shooting specials with a 41. I like 41 better myself. The 41mag is often under rated by folks while the 44 is over rated due to the Dirty Harry hype, but they are neck and neck for power and very close on bullet diameter.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

The .41 mag was a favorite of the late Elmer Keith. He loved it. A lot more punch than a .357 and not as much as a .44. Its a great round!

If you handload, a .41 is great. Can often pick up brass and bullets that everyone else turns up their nose at, on the cheap. I currently own 5 S&W 41 mags. I've shot probably close to 10,000 rounds through the blued 6" since I bought it new in about '76. 215 gr cast bullets at 900-1000 fps are great all around plinkers and defensive loads. The cartridge can be loaded to within a hairsbreadth of a comparable .44 and I believe penetrates better as well. AND, the .41 is the cartridge of TRUTH as it is what it says, .410"dia. WHEREAS, the .44 is the cartridge of lies and deceit, as it's not a .44 at all, but a .429"dia. NOT EVEN a .43!
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I was just looking for a load for my 41 with the 240gr lee cast as I just got that mold. The Lee manual shows 1480+ with 17.2grs AA9. That is 44mag specs with a smaller dia bullet so it should penetrate even better.

I have a 657 6" and love it on the range with various handloads. My carry load in AK is Federal 250 gr Cast Core. I bought those at Sportman's Warehouse in ANC several years ago. Never had to yell bang at a bear, but feel it would get the job done. There are several 265 gr loads out now and I would go with the heavier round. I always felt I could get the 41 back on target and get off another round faster than I could with a 44; likewise, I felt I could fire better with either hand one handed.

For me...When I open the cylinder on a .41 N frame, the holes look perfect; on a .44 the walls look just a bit thin. Can I measure that close with my eye? NO. Are .44s blowing out the walls? NO. Still, the .41 looks better to me.

I think the .41 mag is one of the most under rated pistols out there. I carry mine a lot. More punch than a 10mm and a revolver is the cats meow for reliability

I had a 1976 model with 4 5/8" barrel. I put a super blackhawk grip frame on with buffalo horn grips and it was the best shooting single action I ever owned. It may well be the gun I miss the most. I still know where it lives today.

I also have a 6" 657 and I love it. I like it more than my 629, but yes reloading is a requirement for it.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    The cartridge can be loaded to within a hairsbreadth of a comparable .44 and I believe penetrates better as well. AND, the .41 is the cartridge of TRUTH as it is what it says, .410"dia. WHEREAS, the .44 is the cartridge of lies and deceit, as it's not a .44 at all, but a .429"dia. NOT EVEN a .43!
    I handload, but I didn't know/consider that, when I got my 44. or I might have gone with a 41. The recoil should be a little less, too.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have a 5 1/2" .41 mag Blackhawk 3 screw. Love it. It's better balanced than my 4" Redhawk in .44 mag. I THINK i can shoot the .41 mag a bit better, but i've never had them both out at the same time. If you handload (I do), you can boost both the .41 or the .44 so that really doesn't make a huge difference. If i had it to do over again, $ for $, i'd get the .44 just becaues of ammo availability and the bigger bang. But for a deal, I sure wouldn't turn my nose up at a .41.

How's that for a whole lot of words to say "I like them both"? lol

Edited to add:
    I love the .44 isn't even really a .43. It's true and it cracks me up.

Quote Originally Posted by 1buba View Post
    I have a 5 1/2" .41 mag Blackhawk 3 screw. Love it. It's better balanced than my 4" Redhawk in .44 mag. I THINK i can shoot the .41 mag a bit better, but i've never had them both out at the same time. If you handload (I do), you can boost both the .41 or the .44 so that really doesn't make a huge difference. If i had it to do over again, $ for $, i'd get the .44 just becaues of ammo availability and the bigger bang. But for a deal, I sure wouldn't turn my nose up at a .41.

How's that for a whole lot of words to say "I like them both"? lol

Edited to add:
    I love the .44 isn't even really a .43. It's true and it cracks me up.
    Yeah, the 44 seemed practical too.

Or, should I say, the "Almost 43 Magnum"?

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default I like the .41 mag

always have. My first revolver was a blackhawk .41 mag. But to say it is as good as or even better than the .44 mag is, IMHO, just overly biased. The .44 is not much larger, but it IS larger diameter and not all .44s are .429, some are actually a .43 caliber. I would prefer a full house .44 mag 300 to 325 grain load with a wide flat nosed hard cast bullet to a 265gr. .41 cal full load anytime. I used to think the .41 was a definite flatter shooting deeper penetrating slug, but later decided that IN TERMINAL PERFORMANCE, at the ranges that either cartridge is most efficient for hunting or the much shorter ranges for bear defense, it is a moot point, so I would, as I said, prefer a heavier, slightly large round.
    On another level, what we have here is the old Ford vs. Chevy arguement, one that has never been settled, for good reason. I took one black bear with a .41 and one with a .44 when hunting Northern California quite a while ago. They both died.

Wink

OK, but you still don't own any 44's, you have a bunch of 43's.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    OK, but you still don't own any 44's, you have a bunch of 43's.
    The 44 Caliber Round Balls for Cap & Ball revolvers, are .451 or .454, (45 Caliber) The problem has been pandemic for a long time.

OR, maybe their jist tryin to fool the Russians.

But, what's a caliber or two, between friends?

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Wink

It's just so easy to poke fun at 44 owners. They say, "I've got a 44". I say, "No you don't, you don't even have a 43". They say "What?" Then I get to explain the BIG LIE. But, It's only .019" between a .41 mag and a "44".

thanks for all the info on the 41, does anyone have load data for it

Default GunBugs

that is the silliest **** thing I ever heard. Surely a grown man has better things to do than "tease" .44 mag owners. Wonder if you'd tease Mr. Keith. Doubt it. Far as I'm concerned, this is just a bit of foolishness that doesn't mean a thing. Boy, do I feel all irritated because YOU have another cock-eyed opinion. Not many of those around.

Hmmm, seems you're getting all serious here. If you are offended it's because you choose to be offended. But if it'll mend your hurt little feelers, I'll say I'm sorry. Okay now?

Quote Originally Posted by dakata View Post
    thanks for all the info on the 41, does anyone have load data for it
    As a 41mag fan here's an article by Paco Kelly I really appreciate, & it includes load data for a 300gr bullet at 1260fps from a 4&5/8 barrel.
    http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/41heavy.htm

Theirs a lot of false advertising out there. .38 special is only .357, 44 mag is only .429, 460 S&W is .452, my .480 Ruger is only .475. It really is shameful.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast