Thread: Jewel Lake

Default Jewel Lake

Took a buddy and his wife out to Jewel Lake today for their first time ice fishing. Had a pretty productive day with the little fellas, but didn't see any lunkers. Has any caught decent fish out of Jewel? Seems like it probably gets fished a lot and the only thing really in there are newbie stockers?? We were going to go to Delong Lake but decided on Jewel since I had never fished there. Is Delong full of stockers also, or are there some bigger fellas still around?

Default only little guys

yup, the only thing your going to see in jewel is "catchable stockers". the biggest fish i ever caught was about 12inches so dont ecspect any monsters. delong on the other hand tends to produce a little bit bigger fish. i havent fished delong that much in the winter but in the summer while kicking around in my flaot tube i've caught multiple foot long fish.
    of the two, delong is your best bet.

I guess that is why they have a lot of the kids jamborees there! It will be good for my little boy next time I bring him out. Thanks for the info! I'll have to give Delong a try. Jewel should be a good time on the float with a fly rod this spring then!!

Default Delong Lake

Just got back from Delong. Took my five year old out and we caught a bunch of little stockers...probably the longest was about ten inches (my boy caught it). There are plenty there...catch one every time down the hole. Used bits of shrimp.

Has anyone tried Cheney lake yet? They released some large fish in there this spring when they stocked it. I caught small ones in there last summer, but I saw a kid with one that was probably sixteen inches or better.

Always a good day when the little ones are catching fish! I went out to Cheney about a month ago and we were catch 9 to 14 inchers pretty consistantly. I saw one fella with a 22 incher. But, while I was out there, there were two different groups of people who left with buckets of rainbows. To my knowledge, there is still the emergancy order for only 1 rainbow per person. I have been out there twice since with no luck. The stockers they put in there were a decent size, and unfortunatly, I think people were taking more than there limit and have taken most of the stocked fish outta there. Or at least that is what it seems like since we have not had a bite the last two times we went out. If you do end up going out and having luck, let me know! It's close to home and a good time, when there are fish!!

Too bad about the overlimit folks. I have seen that at Delong before too. Large groups of people with buckets of little stockers. I wish these folks wouldn't rely on the small, stocked lakes here in town to stock their freezers. These stocked lakes provide a great oppertunity for folks to take their little ones and do some fishing, and it really sucks when the freshly stocked lake dries up because folks are down there hauling the fish out.

Just my .02

Tell me about it... Especially when there is a sign posted with the emergancy order right on the path to the lake. It is usually a fun lake during the summer with a small fly rod, hopefully the "subsistance stocker fisherman" leave some for the spring/summer.