Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good all-around 375 H&H load

Default good all-around 375 H&H load

looking for a good "all-around" load for my 375 H&H that i will pick up soon. i plan to handload for it. i want the load to be able to take anything from deer, up to the big bears. any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Gibbs View Post
    looking for a good "all-around" load for my 375 H&H that i will pick up soon. i plan to handload for it. i want the load to be able to take anything from deer, up to the big bears. any suggestions?
    So, you're wanting a bear load. Mine is a 270grn TSX, pushed with RL-15...it works.

Doc

Thumbs up

I think about 71 grains of it, off the top of my head
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

270 grain projectile and 72 grains of IMR-4064 is my favorite.

Ron

75 gr IMR 4350 MAX for 270, medium for 300. I prefer the 300 Nosler Partition

4350 and 300 grain bullets here, too. My two current 375's prefer near-max loads, and those I've owned before and friends' I've loaded for seem to prefer near-max, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Mine is a 270grn TSX, pushed with RL-15...it works.
    Doc
    This is my go-to load, as well.

I have used the same load for many years for the 270 grain and for the 300 grain for many years using 4350 powder. Any load you see I don't care where it is, you use caution and don't just go right to that load, you approach with caution and work up slowly. Ensure your firearm is in good safe mechanical condition before shooting any load from your firearm. I use 76 grains of 4350 powder. It is my standard load that I use for everything and have shot this same load from literally dozens of .375 H&H's. The only bullets I buy or use is the Woodleigh. These loads work for me and all the other people that use them. I don't know any hunter I load for that does not know the anatomy of the animals they are used to hunting for and in my case I want to do all I can to make the first shot and anchor shot followed by a killing shot.

Please do not consider this or any load as safe unless you are ready to use the normal caution that applies to all reloading and safe firearms usage.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

270-300gr TSX pushed by RL15 will kill darn near anything God made. And if it won't a 300gr banded solid will! As for the powder load get the Barnes reloading book and work up the loads slowly to find what works in your rifle.

Brett

Default 375 All Around Load

If brownies or big griz are not on the agenda, I would suggest the 260 Nosler Partition and 73 grains of R 15.With a Fed 215.

Of course, this is not a pea shooter load on anything.Very accurate from my Sako AV and should do close to 2800 from a 24" barrel.This bullet will hammer medium to large sized game like "right now" within 200 yards.Shoots well under 1 MOA for me.

Thumbs up Reloader 15

RL 15 with Barnes 235 TSX or 260 Nosler Accubond

ok for hunting i settled on 260 accubonds and RL15. seems to be a good combo. one of the strong points of the cartridge, from what ive heard, is the ability for bullet types of all weights to hit fairly close to the same POI. anyone know of a cheaper bullet that i can use for "plinking" and light off season practice?

ive also searched for brass online. im only finding norma brass available. seems spendy, but is it worth it? any other available options?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Gibbs View Post
    ok for hunting i settled on 260 accubonds and RL15. seems to be a good combo. one of the strong points of the cartridge, from what ive heard, is the ability for bullet types of all weights to hit fairly close to the same POI. anyone know of a cheaper bullet that i can use for "plinking" and light off season practice?

ive also searched for brass online. im only finding norma brass available. seems spendy, but is it worth it? any other available options?

235 grain Speer .375 cal

Adam: I am new to this post, great info here, saw your question about looking for cheaper bullets, Try MidwaySupply.com I have been using the Hornady 220fp & 225sp, you can buy them by the 100 for about $35. a box. I have used the 270 & 300 grn also, they all shoot great with my CZ 550 and are a lot cheeper to play with. The 300 grn have a Sec/Den of 0.305 so should be ok for the brown's? Has anyone used these for Brown Bear? Look at a Hornady #7 reloading handbook, it has some good loads for the 375. I have a black bear hunt coming up in Sept, and plan to use my 375 with the 270 grn rn.with 73grs r-15, cci 250 primer <> I know that is more than I need for black bear but it shoots great, and my son is using my 06.

Halfcell

Default 375 load

Speer 235g w/ 4064 A great load that is REALLY under rated....

I just loaded up some 235 speers with 69 gr of R15. Hadn't shot any yet, but i hope they shoot well. Shouldn't be too bad on the shoulder either

+1 260 accubond with R 15

Have used 300gr. Swift A-Frame over H414 on everything from hogs to moose and browns. No problems and extremely accurate in my Mod 70.

Any old cup and core 270 gr., 72.5 gr. IMR 4064, CCI 250. Shoots well in all guns it has been tried in and has killed Alaskan game for 40 years.

Yep, 260 Accubond is awesome, and shoots **** near as flat as a 220 Grain 300 Winchester round nose if not flatter. Hard to compare it to a 220 grain VLD as the VLD will kick the crap out of anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast