Thread: big aluminums and parking on the lake shore?

Default big aluminums and parking on the lake shore?

so, I have my 29 footer, aluminum and i want to shore up for a bit, maybe even camp for the night on a Lake beach/shore,,,,what happens if a wave(s) pushes the boat up a foot or so, how in the heck do i get it off the shore?....do i anchor the boat from the stearn in 6 iches of water, so it doesnt go further up the beach( to avoid the beaching, an get "gundog's bow ladder, which i think i will get)?....would a "'jack- all" work if it got stuck, using the front keel to push backwords on the jack and the jack butt in the sand/gravel?.....thanks larry

Default anchor buddy

How about one of these?

I bet this would work slick on the lake.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I agree with Pete that the best way is not to get stuck. If I did get stuck, I think the best way would be to take the anchor way out so that it had a lot of scope (using a dingy) and then winch the boat off with a come-along.

I got my 24' stuck on a sinking tide one time, just barely hung on a rock at the transom, and there was no moving it without some mechanical advantage.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    How about one of these?

Thats pretty slick. Wonder how it would work in the wind with a large boat?

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    so, I have my 29 footer, aluminum and i want to shore up for a bit, maybe even camp for the night on a Lake beach/shore,,,,what happens if a wave(s) pushes the boat up a foot or so, how in the heck do i get it off the shore?....do i anchor the boat from the stearn in 6 iches of water, so it doesnt go further up the beach( to avoid the beaching, an get "gundog's bow ladder, which i think i will get)?....would a "'jack- all" work if it got stuck, using the front keel to push backwords on the jack and the jack butt in the sand/gravel?.....thanks larry

Park your boat beyond the low tide line and use your dingy to get to shore and back.
    Tennessee

hhmmm, neat idea,,,,much the same as this for trucks etc!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5BJpYqfjRo

snow wolf, plan on useing the boat on some of the bigger lakes here in BC too, not just the tidal areas!..would be nice to settle in on the shore once in a while!

..larry

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    How about one of these?

I park my 21' boat on the beaches all the time and have never had a problem exept for tides. I nose the bow up till she stops and tie off. When it's time to go, evey one goes to the back and she pushes off, if enough water powers off. I tried a trick once that works pretty slick. Throw your anchor while 30-50' from shore with the line going through the anchor not tied to it. Run both ends of the lines to shore with you. I tie the line to my bow rail and tie the lines together to a tree or another anchor. I unload and pull the line till my boat is in deep water and pull the other line to retrieve. Works slick if you get a good hook up with the anchor. I used this in Whittier while holding out some rough water and got tired of pushing the boat off the beach as the tide went out, Didn't want to be stuck any longer than I had to!!!

Default Anchor running line

Alaska Bliss has got it with the running line idea, if you are in rocky area most use a bouy on the anchor that has a smooth ring attached for your lines to shore to slide through. Make sense ?

So drop the anchor with bouy coming straight to surface, anchor can then be firmly set and you continue on to shore with one line sliding through the ring on bouy, unload gear and folks, then pull line so boat slides out to the bouy, tie it off on the beach and it'll be out there off the bottom waiting for you. It's all still attached to shore if anchor drags.

Good protection from Bear as well as those Brown's have been known to enjoy the taste of Inflatables making for a long day for some. It might also be the fun of hearing the hissing sound, between their teeth !?!

If you get your boat on a step grade and it is a fairly big boat, bow in the front or not, the tide can come in and NOT float your boat because the boat is to long. It will fill it and you can't do anything but watch it sink. It doesn't take much of an angle and it can happen, the high and dry parking place needs to be very level. A guy I know lost his boat this way.

Letting it go dry on a very pointy sharp rock can put a hole in a aluminum, especially if the water is rocking it, tide going out or in. A nice sandy beach in Mexico or Hawaii is a safer bet.

thanks for the great ideas guys!!...i plan on doing this on the big lakes too here in BC Canada, and the waves do pick up too!...right now, i am in Florida for a few weeks, and we are just heading down to the keys to do some fishing,.,,plan on asking these guys what they do to sit at the shore(their tides are what 2').....florida sure has a lot of white sand so alitlle dif than the rock and gravel of the alaska penisula......as a side note shure like the center consel 20 foot mako's with the single 90 hps.,what a fishing machine!..while post some pics if anyone is interested?.....thanks again larry

Great ideas, but be careful. There was an incident last year(?) in Culross were the stern lines were tied and when the tide came back in, it sank the boat. Anyone remember the thread?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I drew a horrible little picture in microsoft paint to demonstrate the method I use that works well for me. Keeps the boat off the ground and makes it easy to retrieve without a small boat. Hopefully it is self explanatory but I use one big loop of rope tied off at the boat and on shore. I tie both ends to the boat to avoid knots being pulled through the loop on the anchor. I also tie off on shore. Should one of the knots, fail my boat cannot float away (but may drift to shore). This setup works for me on a smaller boat, your mileage may vary and I don't doubt that someone probably has improvements to this very basic setup.

If I did this correctly, the attachment is below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JustinW View Post
    Thanks for the drawing, I've been trying to picture that in my mind.

Nice drawing, pretty much what I was trying to say but easier with a picture. I have found 50' out is where I anchor so I have room for swing, and make sure my lines arn't to tight so the boat will swing and take waves with the bow...

Quote Originally Posted by JustinW View Post

thanks justin, will have to give it a try whewn the weather warms up!!...larry

I've used the anchor buddy as well but have found that a slight breeze can push the boat to shore just as easily as you can pull it to shore with the rope. I'm not a big fan.