Thread: Fuel spill at Tatitlek

Default Fuel spill at Tatitlek

How come everyone that was ready to execute the tug boat crew does not have there pitch forks, torches, and hanging rope out and headed to Tatitlek? Please don't tell me just because they are not and oil company contractor.

Possibly because we haven't heard about this. What's the scoop?

Default Here's the story....

I found this online:

Juneau Empire

TATITLEK - The Coast Guard said a small amount of diesel fuel got into Prince William Sound at Tatitlek, but people at the village have contained it with a boom and absorbent material.
    Petty Officer First Class David Mosley said Coast Guard personnel checked the site Saturday and found nearly all of the fuel that had spilled from a tank had seeped into the ground. He said only a little reached the sound, producing a very light sheen. About 600 to 700 gallons of diesel spilled after a switch failed on the tank Thursday night. Mosley said the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation will be in charge of the cleanup, but the Coast Guard will monitor the effort.Juneau Empire

Default Fail

Quote Originally Posted by jakim View Post
    How come everyone that was ready to execute the tug boat crew does not have there pitch forks, torches, and hanging rope out and headed to Tatitlek? Please don't tell me just because they are not and oil company contractor.
    Meachanical failure is on a different planet than running a well equiped vessel with a supposedly well trained crew into a well known hazzard. Apples and oranges.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    Meachanical failure is on a different planet than running a well equiped vessel with a supposedly well trained crew into a well known hazzard. Apples and oranges.
    I dont know about that, maybe they didnt calibrate the switches or properly maintain the system, how come the secondary containment didnt keep the leakage out of the sound? We could go on and on with supposition about this instance too, or maybe.... wait and see what the rest of the story is.

(of course, I havent heard for a fact that mechanical causes have been ruled out in the tug instance either as of yet...)