Thread: Jet Boil in cold weather

Default Jet Boil in cold weather

Does anyone have any experience with jet boil stoves in really cold weather (minus 20 and beyond). Do they operate well or does the fuel bottle require warming?

Well much below 0 I plan on running a multi fuel stove such as a MSR whisperlite instead of my Jetboil. At -20F the canisters will have a hard time putting out enough pressure to keep warm. Even at 0 I stuff them in my coat prior to use and it fires well for a couple minutes then the ambient air temp takes over and the stoves heat dissipates to a point that it is far less than impressive. For winter time stoves will always be multifuel stoves.

I really like my jetboil, but it is a 3 season stove in my opinion which is worth what ya paid for it.

Default same experience as lanche

A couple yrs ago we went out to the rex for the winter moose hunt, temps were around -5 & -20 below most of the time. Once stopped for the day we set up camp & tried to melt some snow for drinking & meals. My buddies jet boil wouldn't get it done. After we had the Arctic Oven up & gear spread he just used it in the tent. It did better inside after the tent was warmed up & he just used it for making coffee or soup inside a warmed tent.
    For the real cold the MSR XGK or Dragon fly have worked best & shine over it.

I've used mine down to about -10, found that after 45 seconds the neck of the can had massive frost buildup which turned to ice, shortly after the can lost pressure though plenty in it. That cold the gas just turns liquid and becomes useless.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

one trick I have heard about is to run a heavy solid copper wire through the flame and wrap around the gas canister, to preheat the cannister

Placing the cannister on a peice of ensolite protects the cannister from some cold

Svea 123, Phoebus 625, and Optimus 111 are blow torches in the winter, old school but work.

Stove test in the cold. Here is a link to some cold weather stove testing I did a while back, including the Jet Boil.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ve+test&page=2

Steve

X2 for the MSR Dragonfly. It's noisy, but works in all conditions, and boils water fast.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Default thanks

thank you for all of the replies

Default Jet boil

I hunted with a friend, he told me to leave my pocket rocket back at camp while we went for a day hike, he dropped his Jet boil, and could never get it to work or light.......we ate dried mountain house that day.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I hunted with a friend, he told me to leave my pocket rocket back at camp while we went for a day hike, he dropped his Jet boil, and could never get it to work or light.......we ate dried mountain house that day.
    Oh, I hate to say it, but I laughed out loud at that. I'm sorry! That really sucks. Freeze dried food, dry. Ick!
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

I did a lot of testing in the spring and summer with my jetboil. I put a few nalgene containers full of ice water in the fridge for a while to get the water temp down to about 32 degrees F. If you have enough ice in there, this won't take long at all, maybe a few minutes at the most. I left them in there for a while just for good measure. I did a few tests with the jetboil fuel can coming out of the fridge (40 F or so) and a few that had been outside (can't remember exactly, but 50-60F). I also did tests with tap water that was warmer (above 50F). The number one thing I found was boil times were NEVER in 2 minutes unless the water was already fairly warm. Seems pretty simple from a physics standpoint. Jetboil advertises 2 cups boiling in 2 minutes. Well, that might work if you are drawing water from a pond in Texas in July, but not in Alaska in the fall.

I didn't do any testing when the canister was really cold. I would use some caution in "preheating" the canister, but if you just keep it inside your coat, perhaps with some handwarmers close to it, you can probably warm the canister up enough to get the job done. All you need to do is get the gas warm enough to vaporize.

In the field last fall, I tried my best to boil water that had been drawn earlier and laid in the sun for a while. In my Barney's pack, I put my hydration bag in the top bag of the pack figuring that the black material in the sun would warm up a bit and preheat the water just a bit. That seemed to work pretty well.