Thread: Arctic Gear

Default Arctic Gear

Hey Guys I just got hired to work on the slope. I was told by the company they will furnish all my work cold weather gear except footwear and under clothing. But I need to bring heavy coat, warm gloves or mittens, warm substantial footwear with -60 rating, winter cap, bunny boots, and steel toed boots for indoor work.

Can you guys give me any insite to what brand, etc I should be looking for? I really want to spend my money wisely but don't mind spending the money on good gear.

I saw on line that the Army/Navy store in Anchorage has a lot of cold weather gear. I was thinking of showing up a few days early and buy all my gear up there in Alaska.

Any and all thought would be helpful.
    Thanks,
    James

Cold weather footwear....Sorels, they have a wide selection, some do wear the bunny boots.
    Probably Carharts for the rest of the stuff, they even have the Arc flash rated stuff (FR)
    I believe your company will be buying the stuff from Army/ Navy or Big Rays (if your in Fairbanks) North Slope Companies I believe has a contract with them both.

Army-Navy in ANC sells Ranger steel-toed cold weather boots.
    Now what ?

Some of the boot companies now have a composite toe that is as strong as steel toed but don't freeze your toes.

My boot of choice for cold weather is a Baffin, such as the Baffin Barrow model, but I don't know what their toe reinforcement options are.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

EagleRiverDee that is the boot I was looking at on the Army Navy website. I just sent an email asking if the outdoor boot had to be steel toed...I think not due to them calling out bunny boots. I was also asked about the indoor steel toed boots they list....should they be insulated, just not as insllated as the "outdoor" boots.

Any thoughts on these guys?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

bunny boots and your work boots get a comfortably work boot with 400-800 grams thinsulate for short out door excursions.. 1200 may be to much for daily wear indoors. i like the wolverine work boots with 600 gram the best for in and out of equipment etc...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I received an answer from the coumpany to my footwear question. They say the outdoor boots are not required to have steel toes and the inside boots have to be steel toe and best if insulated.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

James also when buying work boots get one with a good sole.. some aggressive work boot soles are extremely hard in the cold.. the reason i recommend the wolverines is they were still ply-able @-50... you want to be able to walk indoors and not fall on your rear for the frost on them either.

danners are good also. try not to get too aggressive a lug or your kicking ice snow all over the house. we have plenty of slope workers here on the forum and can give you what is working best for them...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince I have been lookinng online at some of the boot manufacturers, but would you know the model of boot? I don't see a temp rating on the wolverines or the Danners. I would like to have a certain type in mind when I get up to Anchorage so I am not hurried and buy something that won't work well.
    Hope I am not bugging you guys. Just want to get it right.
    Thank you all for the help
    James

My brother is a Sloper. Bunny boots for outside, and Wolverines (last I checked) for inside. He gave my son his Danners because they didn't fit right and the soles get extremely hard at even 0F. I wear Wolverine composite toe boots and their soles are much better in my opinion.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    My brother is a Sloper. Bunny boots for outside, and Wolverines (last I checked) for inside. He gave my son his Danners because they didn't fit right and the soles get extremely hard at even 0F. I wear Wolverine composite toe boots and their soles are much better in my opinion.
    Thanks Doug...can you ask him what the model of the Wolverines? Also will the composite toe pass as a steel toe?

Been on the Slope 11 years and have gone through a couple of different boots. Work inside most of the time, but in the winter, I work extra weeks outside. Bunny Boots are most popular but I like my Kamiks as they are rated to -160. Have had them 11 years. Still holding. I like the removable liners. Get a second pair and switch them out, or get a boot dryer. I'm on the Spill Response team and the team bought us the Rangers at Army Navy Store. I hate them. Inside, I've worn everything from Army Tanker boots, Danners, Matterhorns, and I bought a pair ot HYTEST Wellingtons that are electrically rated. Had a static electricity problem with the dryness in the winter time and tried this boot. The Hytest boot fixed my problem. Their light, comfortable, no laces and easy on and off and not insulated. Had them two years now and little wear. I wear a set of foot warmers I get from the warehouse at work when I have to spend any time outside in the winter or when it gets
    -30 or more and my floor gets really cold and feet freeze. One set last me all day. Bottom line, get something comfortable. Don't go cheap unless you like to waste money.

http://www.hytest.com/Shop/detail.as...43&sid=&stid=M

http://www.kamik.com/GenfootWeb/serv...009&curRow=100

Thanks chico, I don't want to go cheap so that is why I am asking all you guys. You guys know what works and what doesn't.

Good Luck on the Slope. Hope it pans out for you. Be best advise I can give you since you never worked up here before is be a sponge and aborb as much as you can, take your time and be safe. Don't let anyone rush you or make you do something your not comfortable with. And last but not least. Mother Nature is harsh and does not forgive. 45 seconds of skin exposer in -50 or colder windchill (Which is not uncommon) could have irreversable damage. Always Dress for the worst and have food and water and arctic gear with you when traveling at all times no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Good Luck on the Slope. Hope it pans out for you. Be best advise I can give you since you never worked up here before is be a sponge and aborb as much as you can, take your time and be safe. Don't let anyone rush you or make you do something your not comfortable with. And last but not least. Mother Nature is harsh and does not forgive. 45 seconds of skin exposer in -50 or colder windchill (Which is not uncommon) could have irreversable damage. Always Dress for the worst and have food and water and arctic gear with you when traveling at all times no matter what.
    Thanks for the advice Chico and the good wishes. I will heed your advice. I follow that rule now as I always have extra clothes, jacket, mre's, water etc in my Jeep even though I am in a temperate climate. If I take the truck then my pack goes with me. You never know what will happen so it is best to be prepared. I will just have to change what I carry with me.

What do you use to protect your head? I have been taking notes on clothing and was wondering about that.

PS I checked out your album...wow thats some serious fish! I spent 9 days on kodiak once and caught so much salmon it was incredable.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
    I received an answer from the coumpany to my footwear question. They say the outdoor boots are not required to have steel toes and the inside boots have to be steel toe and best if insulated.
    LaCross Icemans or bunny boots for outside.
    Now what ?

What I wear on my head will depend if I am in a hardhat area or not. Most companies will supply the hard hat and liner. I still wear a thin headsock if the wind is howling or the no fog mask. If I don't have to wear a hard hat, I wear wool cap/beenie with my hoodie over it with a no fog mask or a windproof hood sock. Depends if I am wearing goggles or safety glasses which eyeprotection is mandatory in most places. 100% at my work site. Get with your boss and see what they will supply.

http://www.snowmobile.com/products/n...early-395.html

http://www.blueiceclothing.com/produ...nchedwpro.html